Ideal Supercar Expense/Income-Net Worth Ratio??? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ideal Supercar Expense/Income-Net Worth Ratio???

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by dev98GT3, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I never heard of Mr Ramsey before I saw one of his bumper stickers on a rusted out Accord in the lot of my Fortune 200 employer

Her car is reliable and worth less than $2 k

I read about his approach, it lined up with what I was about in my 20s and early 30s.

After I went to B school I got more into planned risk taking and using debt to acquire rental property

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Ideal ... unlimited funds and all of the cars.

Jo Sta7 and Auraraptor like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have listened to him sporadically for entertainment value, he preaches good common sense stuff for overwhelmed Thousandaires.

JCR likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is the correct answer I wish I would have just replied with this.

5. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I have pulled what little hair I have left out trying to figure this out and justify it. Very difficult when you have OCD/Anxiety.

This forum is also the only please where a rational conversation can be had about this amongst thousand to billionaires. All the other boards are some degree of sausage wagging.

For me, I have also figured out that it is easier for me to 'chase' than to 'lead'. I do better when I am slightly in the hole, it sharpens my skills, I pay more attention, save more dollars, look for better opportunities. Within a few days i'll be back at 20% of net worth in cars, but 60-70% is liquid to some degree, and monthly overhead is minimal (no vacation homes, private schools, eating/drinking habits, etc).

To each their own but I am pretty sure motor oil runs through my veins, and I need to stop changing who I am, making myself fit into a box or comparing myself to other people. Because although 20% of your NW in cars is ridiculous, the other 70% is way more than someone my age has. That motivation, that drive to make that 20% a larger slice is what got me here, so unconventional as it may be, it is clearly working.

Auraraptor likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    He is not wrong..however I would suggest to streach to 5k for something realistic..

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    5k is where you start to get something that is remotely presentable and has a chance of lasting

tbakowsky likes this.
  8. BenoitPichon

BenoitPichon Rookie

Aug 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Benoit Pichon
    Supercars are about performance and are usually in the 200k - 800k segment at most. Supercars also dont have a limited production (except for special editions and such)