FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: PRACTICE 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: PRACTICE 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    paulchua likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The result of this is no surprise. The FIA cleared this system. Now Red Bull will add theirs. They were seeking clarification to do so. Horner simply would not admit this at all in the paddock.

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    It's going to be a tough year ....watching Stroll leading the Ferrari's:eek:

4. DF1

Nothing like unimaginative cloning to solve the small budget team problem. I have ZERO respect for that team now. Build a car - Do not copy an entire car and think its something of a respectable challenge. Pathetic.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Makes you wonder wtf Ferrari have been doing since Barcelona ? eating Pizza?

jgonzalesm6, mdrums and DF1 like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Waiting for next year....

Ferrari has for a long time rested on the laurels of their many fans who will accept anything and find it marvelous.

7. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150311/aero-correlation-problems-behind-ferrari-2020-struggles

Ferrari says a correlation problem between the figures seen in simulations and how its SF1000 performed on track left its Formula 1 car aerodynamically 'fragile' in its current spec.

With the team working on a major revision which will be introduced for the Hungarian Grand Prix, team principal Mattia Binotto addressed the current specification of car's aero problems.

Having determined that it needed to make significant strides into adding downforce, Binotto said that it meant that the car was not as robust in aero performance as was needed to take the fight to Mercedes and Red Bull.

"In winter testing the car was not performing as expected," he said, when asked by Autosport to explain its findings from the early running.

"The car on track was not performing as we saw in the design that we did at home, so there was a miscorrelation from design to track.

"Obviously we had to understand it first.

"We started trying really to understand it as soon as we were back home at the factory, and during the shutdown period that was not possible.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"I think we realised that, from the aero point of view mainly, there were some miscorrelations.

"Eventually I think we [realised we] pushed a lot our project, on trying to seek a lot of downforce to lift up what was our situation last year in terms of weaknesses.

"I think that eventually whatever we developed was too fragile in terms of aero robustness when being on track."

Ferrari retained the inboard-loaded front wing concept that it used in 2019, but added a number of new aerodynamic additions in order to progress further forwards.

However it appears that Ferrari's largest weakness last year, which was a lack of balance in slow-speed corners, has not been considerably improved.

8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If I was Ferrari I would be putting more efforts into developing the next gen cars than the current one. They aren’t going to catch Mercedes so why bother and waste money and effort doing so. They should do just enough to maintain station, ie 2nd and put the majority of effort into the next car!

But in reality I suspect they are arguing about what topping to have on their pizza!

DF1 likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ya gotta give'em credit though. When compared to Ferrari, Racing Point, IF they punch their way past Ferrari, did it with 1/3 of the staff and 1/3 if not half of the budget of Ferrari.(noted RP does'nt make engines)

It's not original but it could mean more millions to the team in the WDC title in the end. This would increase their dollar-per-budget ratio....which has been the best on the grid...running lean-and-mean.

Ferrari has major up-grades coming in Hungary.....of those up-grades includes a new narrower nose of the likes of Mercedes, RP, RedBull, and Renault.

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Don't be too optimistic
    I don't believe for one second the story about the narrower nose.
    And I don't believe too in a spec b car.
    Just some aerodynamic improvement there and there .
    Really don't get all those correlations problems stories.
    Truth is binotto is unable to put pressure on people to deliver and engineers became lazy when the pressure is off.
    Full stop

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    We'll see come Hungary.

On a new PU, yeah, I read Ferrari and Renault won't be introducing a new engine for 2020.

Also and I agree, I don't get the correlation issues with CFD & wind tunnel tests when compared to the actual car.

On Binotto, he's made alot of changes within the F1 team and getting rid of him will be the 3rd team principal that Ferrari would go through in this turbo hybrid era...when compared to Mercedes and RedBull whom have had consistency in team principals and other important staff. Binotto is the more technical of his predecessors whom were just "Marlboro" men. The 2019 car was still made under Arrivabene. So with that being said, give Binotto 2 to 3 years to get the whole F1 team back on pace. Next year, Ferrari will have 2 young drivers driving for them when compared to Seb & Kimi...and 1 of those young drivers shows alot of promise for the team.

12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I thought customer cars were bannned?

DF1 likes this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    SimCity3 likes this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #90 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020

Maybe will switch to Renault (Zhou is test driver there)?Needs top 4 finish in F2 to get super licence...on pole for Austria

16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #91 Flavio_C, Jul 4, 2020
    https://theriser.info/xo_event/foot-7/

1 - Don't click on the first "screen". Scroll down.
    2 - Click on the bottom screen.
    3 - Close the stupid pop up immediatelly. You need to do steps 2-) and 3) three times.
    4- Voilà, 2020 F1 Austria on your PC, Tablet, or phone.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They are, but I suspect FIA is turning a blind eye because they need cars on the grid and the Mercedes clone was part of the deal Stroll agreed with.

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Next season they'll be using the same cars. Actually they need to "homologate" some parts before the last race of 2020 because the development will be partially frozen.

The **** is that whatever happens this year, the next one probably will be very similar, but that's the timing they have lo live with.

19. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #94 WPOZZZ, Jul 4, 2020
    Wow! Just saw an aerial shot and that thing is HUGE!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  20. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Latifi smacks the barriers...

22. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That was an impressive pirouette!

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Seems like the teams are expecting rain tomorrow, because they seem to be blowing off practice 3.

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Ah, seems the red flag period woke the teams up. (Get laps while you can. ;))

25. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis