FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: QUALIFYING ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: QUALIFYING ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Just watching this on repeat! Vettel our in P2 and Leclerc 10gh despite a secret engine deal with the FIA.

Ferrari can’t even get there with support from the FIA!!!!! How embarrassing.

Webber hit It on the head when asked how Ferrari can improve...move to the UK!!!!

DGPF likes this.
  2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ... but wait, I thought the only issue Ferrari had was that Vettel was too bad...
    If it goes on that way, maybe most people here will begin to say Ferrari should just fire Leclerc (after all, his performance in qualifying was about as embarassing as Vettel's).

stavura and 500tr like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Lewis Hamilton has avoided a grid penalty for Sunday's Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix after a stewards' hearing over two incidents in the final stage of qualifying.

Reigning world champion Hamilton qualified second on the grid for the 2020 season-opener, narrowly losing out to Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas in the fight for pole position.

But the stewards confirmed two hours after the end of qualifying that Hamilton was under investigation for failing to slow for yellow flags, and for exceeding track limits in an earlier Q3 lap.

Yellow flags were shown following a spin for Bottas ahead of Hamilton on-track, with the Briton going on to improve his time by one-tenth of a second.

The stewards confirmed after meeting with Hamilton that there would be no further action taken over the yellow flag infringement after finding there had been a mix up with the marshal panel lights.

"The driver mentioned that he passed a green light panel in Turn 5," the stewards' report reads.

"The video footage confirmed that there have been yellow flags and green light panels at the same time and therefore conflicting signals were shown to the driver.

"Taking this into account, the Stewards decide to take no further action."

DGPF likes this.
  5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Folks, I'm gonna take one for the team: They can use my 308 for tomorrow's race:D

subirg, Sunracer, SimCity3 and 4 others like this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    So Lando Norris is 4th while having allegedly one of the worst engine of the grid, and the Ferrari are 7th and 11th.. doesn't look very promising.

DGPF likes this.
  7. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    This is going to be a tough season. Ferrari has many problems, but one of the larger ones is the FIA. I know non-SF fans will see this as sour grapes, but the double standards are too blatant to ignore. Whatever Ferrari does is always deemed to be wrong, but if other teams, namely Mercedes and other UK based teams do it, it's praised as "innovative!" and "in the spirit of Formula One!".

I know there are rules, but they are applied unevenly. If innovation is what F1 is about, then let Ferrari also try things that are innovative, even if they are in the grey area. Why is a team like Mercedes allowed to "consult" the FIA while developing a system like DAS? Some will say its Mercedes doing their due diligence. But how would the F1 world react if Ferrari had worked with the FIA to develop their Engine technology?

Look at Racing Point and their obvious copy of the W10. This is not in the "spirit of Formula One" and it's against the rules. But they are a UK based team, and basically the Mercedes junior team.

To make myself clear, Mercedes is the class of the field as a team. Their work ethic and desire to be better even when they're perfect is what makes them what they are.

That leads me to Ferrari's problems. Binotto is not the Team Principal to lead this team to a World Championship. But he isn't the main problem. Ferrari needs leadership that pushes this team to be the best. Camilleri and Elkann are not those guys. When Sergio Marchionne passed away, this team lost its way. He had a vision for the future of this team, something I can't say about current leadership. Ferrari needs to be ruled by an iron fist...an Enzo Ferrari. While there will never be another Enzo, Scuderia Ferrari needs a leader who is focused solely on the team's on-track performance.

Until that happens, changing Team Principals will solve nothing. The results will be the same year after year. Different boss, same circus.

Thecadster, stavura, SimCity3 and 3 others like this.
  8. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Pressure's on LH and he upped it with the *lm evangelism, but Merc's lip service to diversity is just that.
    No way they'll give Bottas equal treatment, especially in this climate.

The short season will help him though.

stavura, classic308 and csmjr91090 like this.
  9. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Would it not just be easier if they started 'sabotaging' him before qualifying ;)

SimCity3 and DGPF like this.
  10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They did, and it didn't work: Bottas had hydraulic gremlins heading into qualifying. Still the season is young, I'm sure the saboteurs need time to return to form as well.

;)

stavura, SimCity3 and lagunacc like this.
  11. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    if I was managing Mercedes, I would definitely be telling Bottas to let Hamilton win (if it turned out during the race that this was necessary). Having a 7 times WCD marketing your streetcars would be gold

DGPF likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    sammysaber and DGPF like this.
  13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Poor Charles may be regretting that long contract he has with Ferrari.

LVP488 and DGPF like this.
  14. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Asked by The Race where he felt the deficit was given the data clashed with Ferrari’s position of talking its aerodynamic performance down, Wolff said: “Not they have talked it down, but Mattia has talked it down.

“And I can’t listen to that anymore.”

Ferrari qualified on pole in Austria one year ago and finished second in the race with Leclerc.

“I’d like to cheer everybody up at Ferrari because this is a fantastic company with fantastic people but I have no reason to cheer Mattia up,” Wolff said when asked how he might find positives for Binotto following a disappointing day.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/wolff-tired-of-ferrari-engine-saga-and-aero-weakness-talk/

Toto getting weirdly personal against Binotto...

DGPF likes this.
  15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Alonso was right all along when he left Ferrari and said that Ferrari wouldn’t be able to deliver a championship winning car in the next 5 yrs...

sammysaber and DGPF like this.
  16. petrol_junkie

petrol_junkie Karting

Jan 16, 2017
    Dublin
    jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    According to AMuS Michael Schmidt: "From the environment in Maranello you can hear that the engine costs them half a second per lap."

The main PU components got frozen this year: ICE, turbo, MGU-H, fuel and oil. You can only modify the MGU-K, battery & electronics. The rest will be like this until the end of the 2021 season.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/ferrari-krise-oesterreuch-qualifying/

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't see anything in the rules where one cannot simply take a lot of high resolution photographs of the car and then create as close a duplicate as your staff can perform.

As long as you scrutinize the photos, and then build all the parts yourself, it should be OK--in fact this is the way forward for back markers. Make a copy of last years winner.
    The cars are neither patented nor trademarked, and thereby anyone with the means can copy away.

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    For a low downforce low drag car, they are very sloe.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

One can do this of course. Liking or respecting it is not at all required lol :)

21. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    It is unfortunate if Ferrari can't offer Charles the car to compete for the championship during the 5 years of his contract, he has the talent to be a multiple time WDC. But I can't see Leclerc considering about ''abandoning the ship'', he is a Ferrari academy product and the red car is his dream. I quite liked his comments after the Qualification, hopefully he'll develop into a great team leader who can help the red cars back on top once again:

"It was a difficult day but at least now we know where we are. As a team all we can do is cheer up and find the positive in all of this, even though it’s not easy. We need to work all together in a constructive way and try to do the best job possible to improve things in the next few races."

"We should keep our moral up and be motivated and just work to improve. This is the way forward to get out of these hard times. The balance of the car is quite good but it’s the overall performance which is still not good enough."

Thecadster likes this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    With this poor PU for the next two years , they will waste a lot of money for nothing , no hope .
    It's 2014 all over again.
    Camilleri shouldn't accept that and seriously start imagine to leave this sport.
    WEC and indycar are good options now.

23. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Why do that when they can just do it during the race? "Valtteri, it's James..."

Gotta keep things up for appearances sake.

24. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    BBC 5 Live mentioned Vettel was 19th (didn't say LeClerc was 20th) and I thought they'd made a mistake - then again our Alfas were the fastest and look where they ended up :D

Welcome :)

Best,
    Sammy

Top speed likes this.
  25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    it’s amateur hour in Maranello.