Battery/Charging System Tester | FerrariChat

Battery/Charging System Tester

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Scott98, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As the thread title suggests, I’m looking for a good battery/charging system tester. I’m a DYI’er and will likely use it maybe once or twice a year max. I know the Snap On ones like the EECS550 are good but they are expensive, though I’m willing to pay up if that’s what it takes. But first, I thought I’d check on here to see if anyone can recommend any other reliable, quality testers for a DIY’er.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I've been using one, the BT-104, for years. I just looked on Amazon and there are several just like mine, but the updated versions. They are $40-$60 and put a load on the battery when you press the switch. It's a very simple design, with a coil that heats up from the battery, when it's turned on.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
  4. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Ok. I’ll be honest: I am about as big of a Snap-On whore as a person can be. I wouldn’t buy their tester. It’s too expensive. Nothing tests a battery more simply and accurately than a cheap old school carbon pile tester. I have a non Snap-on electronic analyzer, it wasn’t cheap but does not “load” a battery like a carbon pile tester.

I’m using a Ctek 7002 as my tender/charger. So far so good. It can be adapted to fit the factory tender on my 488. I’d buy it again and recommend it.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    We all know how Ferrari's are temperamental when it comes to battery voltage. Consequently, in my opinion a proper battery tester and charging system tester should be two separate tools. Ctek's and others like it are battery minders and say nothing about the state of the battery or charging system. You could have an almost dead battery on charge showing 12.75v, yet when you put a load on it such as to start the car it does not perform. Lots of threads about this.

I have one of these and every Fall before putting her into hibernation (with a battery tender hooked up) or waking her up in the Spring I check the state of the battery before even starting the car. This way I prevent those familiar lights from coming on due to voltage fluctuations. This is a proper battery tester similar to the ones that the popular stores use for load testing your battery. I test the battery while it is hooked up to the car. Below is the one I actually use.

YOMD

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That looks like a good alternative to Snap-on. Especially for my limited use. Thanks.

hessank likes this.
  7. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    OK another option is a unit made by midtronics, I have PBT-100. The company makes the testers that Mercedes uses worldwide. It measures the Impedence so a bad battery with a surface charge will show as bad. And a good battery with a complete discharge will show as good. you enter the CCA for a battery and remember that a 850 cca battery that is very weak (like 700cca) shows as bad but still start a 350E. And when the red-bad lamp is on, it's time to replace it. Amazon and costs about $100.

Midtronics and I've used it for about 10 years.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86 tr, 99 360 3pedal, 05 S-160Bobcat

020147 and Scott98 like this.
  8. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I have the PBT300. You outlined their usages and strengths well. But it’s worth noting they will not put an actual load on a battery like a carbon pile, which is fine, depending on the intended purpose of the user. My PBT300 did identify a bad cell on one of my tractors not long ago and I like the unit.

Years ago I had a pair of Optima’s in a truck. I kept having starting problems, I took them to the parts store where I bought them, they were charged and tested with a high $$$ electronic unit, they read as being fine. The mechanic tested them on an carbon tester, the batteries came back as junk. I took the batteries to a different retailer with another electronic tester, they were fine again. Since this was a DD I bought AGM batteries from a different manufacturer and never had a problem again.

Hessank’s idea of using a tester so wake a vehicle up in very interesting! For me I’ll probably just replace my f-cars battery every other year. It’s cheap insurance to minimize potential problems.