The Bid/Ask Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Bid/Ask Thread

Discussion in '612/599' started by Texas Forever, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks! Why are there so many Nero (Black) cars?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It was popular but not so much any more. They tend to fetch less too.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Black is my least favorite color in cars. (Although naturally I have a black Cayenne.) Looks great when detailed, but is hard to keep looking good after you drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    The Grigio/Cuoio one at FOD is STUNNING and my #1 pick, however, the ask is insane.
    I DO like black/black and there is no shortage of them. My 2nd fav is the black/black HGTE on Cars.com. I also like the burgundy one in Utah..that's a sharp looking 599.

Jim

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The black one in the FChat ads looks nice. It is retro fitted with HGTE.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My experience with high asking prices at a Ferrari dealer is you are dealing with a consignment car with an owner who is patient or out of touch.

randkin and jimshadow like this.
  7. PeteClemens

PeteClemens Rookie

Jun 5, 2020
    Yes, I appreciate this. But if there are no trades it suggests what we call a "frozen market". The market here seemed frozen for a long time but recently started to clear. Maybe that's a sign of things to come in the US.

Thanks for all this info.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I know Tex knows this but a transaction takes a buyer AND a willing seller. You get a "frozen market" when the buyers aren't in touch with what sellers will accept. IE: there is zero inventory that will sell at the prices of the bid (the same is true of sellers). This also creates a pretty large spread and the real market is somewhere in the middle. People here often get confused that only buyer offers set the market, they forget that it takes a willing seller.

Corsair66, randkin and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Here's a Rosso '07 with less than 10k miles with a BIN (Ask) price of $116,338 (where do people come up with these numbers?) and two hours left, and no bids.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And here is a Rosso '08 with less than 10k miles with a BIN of $199,000.

I don't get it. Doesn't eBay charge listing fees based on the asking price?

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One thing that intrigues me, but also pisses me off, is when dealers have a ridiculously high ask price on a car. Unless, I'm really interested in that specific car, I won't even brother contacting them. I always start haggling up from my bid, not down from their ask. But when the ask is so high, the process is too much work.

Thoughts?

Corsair66, PeteClemens and randkin like this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You are correct. There are studies on RE that show if it is 10% over priced it won't get offers. That is kind of the threshold for 'too much work'. I would extrapolate that is about right for cars too. Maybe it is as much as 15% for cars but it isn't 20%.

13. Potenza430

Potenza430 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If I like a car or R/E and I feel it’s to high, I still make an offer. The worst they can say is no. Nice cars, colors, and a strong history are coming harder to come by.

Skidkid, randkin and Texas Forever like this.
  14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While I really like your spread sheet, I found several years ago when I was looking for a F-car, too many cars which I would never buy for one reason or another tended to confuse me. At the time while there were an average of 20 cars (612s for me) on the market. Usually I was only really interested in 1-3 at any one time. The car which I eventually bought came to market priced as a non OTO (which turned out to be a mistake as it was an OTO) at a price I would have offered. So I immediately made a fully price offer, subject to PPI, which was accepted before the error was discovered and the dealer honored the transaction. I knew it had to be an OTO car because of equipment list. Guess I just lucked out.

But my point is don’t get too mired down in detail if you see the car that checks all or most all the boxes move on it quickly as real specially equipped cars tend to go fast. This year I missed a a very low mile ‘17 991.2 TTS optioned exactly like my former ‘08 997 TT which I factory ordered in 2007. I should have given myself a dope slap thinking I hadn’t done enough “market research” so I missed it.

Texas Forever and jimshadow like this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Still trying to figure out why a 599 was singled out as a poser car. Aren't they all poser cars? A Ferrari V12 is a rare and special experience. Good hunting.

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The front engine V12s are much more subtle than any of the mid-engine V8s. If someone were a poser, the latter would be the choice.

Veloce12, randkin, 599_GTO and 2 others like this.
  17. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    indeed. I had two 599s, they are great cars.

jimshadow, donv and Texas Forever like this.
  18. jfm_cdm

jfm_cdm Rookie

May 18, 2013
    Corona del Mar, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just had mine in for annual service. $2900. An awful lot for fluids, filters, and check up. Add insurance, registration, and
    LOTS of gas. I drive it maybe 2500-3000 miles a year. Weekend DD and for longer cruises, tours, rallies a couple times a year.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is high. Should be around $1000 per year when the aux belts do not need changing. Unless it lined up with the 3 year checks, including changing out the F1 fluid.

20. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Now I'm not arguing here but, my car is what would be considered high mileage but very well cared for. '08 Black/Cuoio, I don't know what it's worth but I would never let it go for 90K.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    gorgeous car George!!!
    How many miles do you have on that beauty?

Jim

22. PeteClemens

PeteClemens Rookie

Jun 5, 2020
    Looking forward to more prints. Lets see where the mkt clears.

23. flackmaster

flackmaster Rookie

Feb 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    David A. Flack
    Really cool effort. I am lurking in the market for another year or so for a 599, or po$$ibly move up to an F12 by the time I am ready. Now if a winning lottery ticket happens to fall in my pocket, 812. I would think service history would have a direct effect on price, or is that too difficult to quantify...yeah, I thought so...

24. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Really like the 599, not the F12 so much. Haven’t seen the 812 in person so I am withholding judgement. They all go plenty fast so that would not be the issue for me. Also I really being the guy who takes the big depreciation hit unless I order new and get exact, exactly what I want. Then I can some how rationalize the hit - that said I am not so sure that is rational either?:rolleyes:

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The 360/430 worlds has a huge spread in maintenance/condition. The 599 world is VERY small and the condition spread isn't nearly as much. Plus, the backyard hack who can't afford to fix the car or cobles something together doesn't generally get a 599. Sure, there are a few in poor condition but most are reasonable condition. If you are shopping for concourse, that is a different question. Ultimately you are shopping color & features, from the 1 or 2 cars that meet that you mix in reasonable condition and make the move.