F8 - Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but.... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

F8 Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Petersen

Dec 11, 2015
    Australia
    I haven't driven the Pista and by all accounts, it's an excellent car. I readily acknowledge that all of the 488s are more technologically advanced, faster and so forth than the 458s. If I didn't have a 458, and was looking to buy a Ferrari now, I expect that I would have bought a 488. (I don't think that the Pistas were available in Oz to those who hadn't previously bought a Ferrari from a dealer). The "probelm" is that having the 458 Spider, and knowing about the criticisms that the turbos have received from the perspective of the sound, my ears are just far too atuned to the sound of the cars. The 458 Spider just excites that incredible feeling when I press the starter button, or when I down-shift at higher revs, or when I plant my foot, .... Having tried that in the 488s (NOT including a Pista) and in the F8, I didn't get that feedback. Perhaps I am focussing too much on the sound ("who needs a stereo system" some other 458 owners respond to the occasional complaint by some that the standard stereo is pretty "ordinaire"). But I wouldn't compare a 458 with a Corvette or Mustang. The 458 is a cut or two or three or ten above those in so many ways.
    So, perhaps the Pista would be seriously better than the other 488 in the sound department, but I am not convinced. And yeah, let me again acknowledge, the Pista is an incredible car!

Randyslovis likes this.
  2. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #177 day355, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    F 8 is sooooo boooring to drive...yes, it s fast and so !!!
    It s seems an AMG to drive...no sound, no emotions,filtred feed back... just speed !
    I need emotions, not only speed of light
    Cars exist just because F 171 wasn t ready, and it s a good way to recycle Pista s parts and brainstorming in a same time.

3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #178 Randyslovis, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    As I have previously said, I own a 458 spider. As you have previously said, you really want a new car. I would opine that you could wait for the new Corvette ZO6 due in less than a year from everything I have read. COVID issues, if any, unknown.
    It is supposed to have a flat plane NA V8. Cost likely around 100K US is best guess. It is my assumption you could ADD one to your 458 for less than the delta to any of the cars you are considering. I heard a video of one driving and it sounds very exotic. Plus, the interior is quite nice for a change.
    Best

racerdj, Need4Spd and PA Wolfpacker like this.
  4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think you hit the nail on the head Mayor. Corporate Ferrari now is following up with cars that you could slap just about any Brand name on and you wouldn't know the difference. I saw that video on the development of the Corvette C8 and they definitely copied the 458 to produce it. Why? Because as you said "Ferrari made the 458 too good." I was at a dealership the other day and the Manager told me they just can't get enough of the 458's in their inventory to sell. Point is Ferrari is starting to lose its exclusivity and once the SUV comes out it will just follow suit with all the other exotics.

5. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I always felt turbos are a cheap way of going fast. What's the point of a turbo supercar when someone can put a kit on a Supra/GTR/etc and get 1200hp? Electric cars are making all of this irrelevant anyways

To me the feel, sound, and mechanical purity of a NA engine makes it the only choice. I have nothing to prove to people on the road and as far as I'm concerned a car is only as fast as it feels. I dont track my cars, but if I did I'd get a dedicated track weapon like a Formula Ford anyways

6. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Porsches are Turbos and are great cars while fun to drive.

Shadowfax and Gh21631 like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In 5 years from now when the ICE will be non existent replaced by hybrids and pure electric, the nostalgic enamourment over the last Turbo F8 and Pista will be prevalent with many conceding the new paradigm as being faster and more capable yet lamenting the paucity of engine sound and dearth of
    emotional involvement.

uhn2000, Glenn Quagmire and Gh21631 like this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    F171 is Little Brother?

9. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Yes, it s the code name
    F 173 was SF 90

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Gee you must have many cars with low mileage because all the ones I see are scratched , hit, rashes under the car, stone chips, scuff marks, leather lifting etc. These cars are getting old.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I know there are those that have both Ferrari and Lambo in their garage here but I find the lambo owners to be different. Last years F1 and every other year, lambo owners just went hell for leather on the track where as the Ferrari drivers went slow.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

And wouldn't it be smart for Ferrari to make a speciale version of the F8

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    yes it would

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Pending ......

Sent from my 16M

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

AMGs sound great though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Not sure where the “old” 458’s are that you are referring to but I have a friend with 100k on his Italia and I have other friends with 3k on theirs...not one of them are in the condition you described. Maybe it’s the local roads in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Not many 458 for sale in Australia. Either they like them the owners or they didn't want to pay the delta to change. Having said that on 5 for sale whole Australia. Only one in my state. The cars are driven here you wont find anything with less than 15,000 km's

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    ??? You mean everything but GT3 and GT4 and 718 spider.

19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    lucky buyer!!

plastique999 likes this.
  20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a modified AMG GTS in my garage, I can guarantee you that if you were to drive it the way I do, the last thing you would call it was boring. Makes the 458 or 488 feel tame.

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    how do you drive it? any video?

22. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    AMG GTs are great cars, I was really fond of my GTR, by far the most visceral and raw FI sports car I’ve ever driven, more so than most NA sports cars. It’s up there on my list of favorites cars just behind the 458. Completely different way to go about delivering a pure driving experience. I have a placeholder for the black series which should be epic. They’re also great cars to drive on track as far as street cars go, pretty much on par with GT3s. I got my SCCA license through AMG and they performed well.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The way I drive all my sports cars, no traction controls and if the tail does not come out, then I am not pushing it hard enough. Though that car does not need much to slide out, it is most definitely not a car for the faint of heart in stock form. With well past 600hp, and throttle controller set to race mode it is even more of a beast to handle. Remember I don't feel emotion like you, but fear I can feel, and being afraid while I drive is what makes me feel alive. If a sports car cannot make me feel that it is not fulfilling its purpose, and that is probably why a few people have throw up after they are in my 997S, that car is really scary.

IloveGT likes this.
  24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Signs of some good times :)

25. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Those droning on about the need for emotion and sound, remind me of the legacy Corvette guys still pissed the C7 went away from round tail lights and the C8 isn’t available with a manual. The fact is, manufacturers face constraints today, never imagined a couple decades ago. The geopolitical climate change agenda has forced the move to what will soon be 100% electric. Yet, some of those among us, complain about the lack of emotion yielded by forced induction, but then beat the climate crisis drum. Short of some Hollywood trickery, to comply with environmental mandates, cars will sound more and more like a handheld vacuum...and DCT’s will go the way of the manual. We’ll be left with drive by wire go carts, completely numb of any feeling...but quicker than our brains can comprehend. A recalibration of emotion is already underway.

PS - as a C8 owner, I can say the car is a fantastic leap forward for GM. But...it evokes no emotion. Great driver. Maybe too good. Just softer than I care for. The Z06 may be a bit more aggressive, but driving the new platform in track mode, is not altogether different than an ‘87 Riviera.

SoCal to az likes this.