488 - Does this happen when buying used? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Does this happen when buying used?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AD211, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The best memento is actually keeping the car itself if you are so enamored by the purchase. But not releasing both keys with the sale just makes you a weak person.

AD211 and Regular Guy 01 like this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Not really , ive looked for a bigger version of my car and Zero.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And one key......

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

No. Give the key. Thats just mean.

Coincid likes this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Why? It’s my car, and the buyer knows what he is buying and what comes with it. Same with promotional stuff.

Now I take issue with not getting trophies a car has won....that should stay with the car.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A key is fundamentally different than the trinkets that come with the car. Always let the new owner have all the keys.

tomc likes this.
  7. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I just ordered a 812 model from the Atelier site linked earlier in the thread. Pricing depends on how many changes are made to the base model. I made 4 changes so those and the shipping resulted in a 301€ cost.
    I will let you guys know how it works out.

Regular Guy 01 likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    For me, Id likely not buy a used car that doesnt have 2 keys as it shows the previous owners disregard for ownership. I have my spare key, manuals, paperwork etc all locked up in my safe and if/when I sell the pista, the new owner will get it all.

The model and trinkets are a different story. You dont need the model of the car for basic functionality of the car. The key you do. I think its a Richard move to keep a key as replacing that key costs a grand or so. Sorry, give both keys to the owner.

jm2, Regular Guy 01 and AD211 like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    That is certainly a strange viewpoint, but you can use whatever metric you want to buy a car......

So sellers with unserviced run down cars take note, buy 3 extra sets of keys and this guy will pay full ask.....LOL

Wait, aren’t you the bloke who doesn’t like cars that sound good?

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Strange post that doesnt in any way represent anything close to what Ive stated.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Of course it does.....you heavily implied that no matter how well a car was maintained, that without a 2nd key, you would not buy it.

But everybody has a bad day......witness the sound isn’t important thread....riling up the 458 crowd is never a good idea.

12. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer

100% agree

I look at the cars I purchase very carefully and I would never buy a car with only 1 key unless the previous owner would discount the price of the car accordingly.
    If the seller thinks the key is worth $1000 to keep a key then I understand his point. I, on the other hand don't think so and I usually give the new buyers everything I have purchased since I bought the car. This includes bit such as brochures, posters, spare parts and anything else that I might have come across. I know that I can sell these items but I hate the trouble of it all and I don't need the money that bad. Also, when I give the new owner the extra stuff they are very grateful. Kind of like how I would be.
    When I bought my car from Continental AutoSports in Chicago the salesperson Kat went out of her way to make my purchase special. I was given a leather buyers folder and other items. I was even surprised that there was a custom engraved bottle of wine in the car when it was delivered!

I am a firm believer in the "comes around, goes around" moto in life.
    Perhaps that is why I live a charmed life.....

Best wises,
    Gene Greer

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? Please find me the quote where I state that NO MATTER WHAT...I would not buy a car without a 2nd key.

Ill wait patiently....

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Another mischaracterization but that seems to be your MO. Ill summarize for you and Ill type slowly so you understand: Sound is important but not the most important thing. Ill take performance over sound, aka, Ill take 488 over 458 because the sound on the 488 is more than good enough.

Next time try actually reading someones position before you inaccurately misquote it.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Ferrari added the keybox for more recent production; the cars I bought didn't come with a keybox. While I might be on the fence about the keybox, more likely passing it on, I would certainly not keep the second key. A car should be passed on with all the practical/functional items and that includes all the keys.

Regular Guy 01 and SoCal to az like this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So since no one could type slowly enough for you to keep up, I’ll just take my victory and key and leave you to your own devices.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Bye Felicia.

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #43 SoCal to az, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020

Just want to document this for the record. The internet is a wonderful thing.

19. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    The keybox is what I miss having the most. I like the model of the car made as the car was specified (with a chassis number on it) but it is the box that I like the most. I am not sure if the box had the same number engraved on it.
    My car is a 2014 458 Spider and if they weren't providing them until later models or production runs then I am just going on about nothing...
    Perhaps I will post on the forums that I would like to buy one.

Thanks everyone,
    Gene Greer

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Gene,
    I think the box is a newer thing. I dont believe they made it for the 458. I only recall seeing it for the first time with the Pista. Hopefully someone can correct me if Im wrong.

21. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Thanks for the 411
    Hopefully, somebody will know for sure.

No matter what,
    I love my car!
    She is a keeper.
    I think it is time to go for a drive :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I do not know exactly when the box appeared but certainly the 458 did not get it because initially the 488 did not get it, I think it was introduced during the 488 production (but before the Pista).
    Same for the personalised lithograph with the serial number (which is derived from a "standard" lithograph that was provided at the 488 unveiling).

23. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    ^

Thanks John
    I didn't even think of looking on eBay for one of these.
    I will keep an eye out for a 458 box (if they are available).
    I am on eBay all the time for one thing or another.

Thanks again,
    Gene Greer

jm2 likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good info. I had a 2016 488 and for sure the box did not come with that car. May have come with later 488 models. Ty.