Normal operating oil temp - F430 | FerrariChat

Normal operating oil temp - F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by av2, Apr 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    Hey guys,
    I've noticed the oil temp for my F430 stay right between the 120 and 230F mark most of the time. Even when driven hard, the oil temp just move up slightly. A simple calculation (120+230 / 2 = 175F) tells me the car is running with oil temp at around 175F. This just seems too cool, doesn't it? The water is around 205-210F. Oil used, 5w40. Are you guys seeing the same oil temp?

2. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    My avg oil temp is arount 75° C = 167° F. Seems normal to me. Oil temp will get higher if I drive the car hard like on mountain roads.

3. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    I guess these cars just run a bit cooler. My other cars (not Ferrari) are around 200-210f. Thanks!

4. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    tagging an old thread, to help others searching in the future.
    I'm just checking to be sure that my operating temperatures seem to be in the normal range for an F430. The car is new-ish to me, as I've owned it for a little over 2 months, but I've done about 2500 miles with it so far.

I'm at 4500' in elevation, which impacts the efficiency of the radiators, and it's been 93f - 98f ambient around here lately.
    The Oil Temp seems to hover just barely left of the 230 mark, which seems REALLY hot to me.
    Water seems to settle straight-up around 210f, which ALSO seems a bit hot.
    Neither temp seems to get much higher than that, so it seems to find a "sweet spot", if you will, and stay there.

Is this normal? Or is that Oil temp high, as I suspect it to be?

TIA

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Local ferrari dealer says to check oil level with temp between 80+90 C

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    jag-oo-r likes this.
  7. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Thanks for this!
    My oil temp is definitely getting hotter than yours.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

8. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just read some articles about synthetic engine oil, optimum temperature, and it sounds like 230-260 is no problem.
    When I ride my air cooled Harley Davidson motorcycle, the engine oil temps are 260-280 on a hot day in slow traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    First photo below is after a simple 30 minute drive. Nothing crazy, except the ambient temp! Haha

Second photo is after a did a hard acceleration to about 120mph, then cruised at 60 for a minute. Coolant temp didn't seem to want to come back down.

Attached Files:

10. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Those temps are higher than mine, but still within safe temps. If you're worried about it, maybe make sure your gauges are accurate.

All my other cars run at 210* coolant temp. They don't have oil temp gauges on them. My Harley does.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Check coolant reservoir when cold to rule out contamination

12. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Good call.
    I'm actually waiting for an ugly weekend to do an annual on it, which will include flushing the coolant. Last time it was done was 7-19-19..... so I'm kinda right on the nose. ;-)

Most of my cars run a 200-ish thermostat from the factory, which i always change to a180d.

I'll look around and see if I can find a lower temp thermostat for this car too.

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Coolant change is every 4 years normally

14. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Guys, I'm not having any luck finding a low-temp thermostat. In fact; neither have I found anything telling me what temp the OEM thermostat is. Does anyone here KNOW what temp it should be opening at? And is there an aftermarket unit that opens sooner?

15. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    WSM states the thermostat should start opening at 85C (185F).

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen any other temperature thermostats. The design isn’t standard as the thermostat is built into the housing itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Thanks for that. That design has actually become quite common on newer vehicles of late. I hate it, haha.
    I'm just going to plan on replacing the thermostat with OEM then, because 185f is plenty cool. And it's enough for me to be suspicious that mine may not be operating correctly. I'll be very happy to do it preventatively anyway. (Why does Spellcheck not like that word?)

I'm learning what I can as I go through the WSM. It seems the Water Pump is a part of the Oil Pump, and not a common failure-point. (nor do I have any reason to suspect it). I know my Porsche has always been prone to collecting debris in front of the radiators and impeding the airflow, so I'll look into that when I've got the bumper-cover off.

To any who may be following this in the future: As you can see above; I'm in no danger, and haven't come even close to overheating..... but I want to make sure it's all working as it should be, given the 3-digit ambient temps that are coming to my area this month. Better safe than sorry, yeah? :)