F-16 patch | FerrariChat

F-16 patch

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ralfabco, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #1 ralfabco, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    I believe we have two Viper Driver's on F.C. Several different aviation patches like this have recently popped up. Sitting on your ass gives you time for additional projects. https://www.ebay.com/itm/USAF-patch-21st-Fighter-Squadron-F-16-1000-hours-at-home-Luke-AFB-with-velkr0/164277596741?hash=item263fb53245:g:R44AAOSwGBJfAjOF

With my crap I only collect the geriatric material :D. The picture of the scarf is not from my collection. I bid over $400.00 for the scarf and it was not enough. Enclosed is a 433rd Fighter Squadron hand made silk scarf from the interwar period - between WW II and Korea. The scarf also has the name of the pilot who flew with the unit (not pictured). At the time the 433rd was based out of Itazuke Japan and flew the F-51D.

I have an original 433rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron patch from the 'early' 1950's. (different mission and design of the patch). The 433rd FIS flew the F-89C out of Truax AFB and a crew disappeared while pursing a UFO over Michigan. I believe the airframe is still unaccounted for.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bob Parks likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 433rd Fighter Squadron was part of the 475th FG in WW-II and both Bong and McGuire flew sorties with the unit. My old 431st (TES) Test and Evaluation Squadron (F-111s) evolved from the 431st Fighter Squadron in the 475th, too, and Bong and McGuire flew with it, too. We had the squadron log of the 431st and it made for very interesting reading. No telling where that ended up when the unit disbanded. The 475th and its squadrons should have been one unit the AF saved, but did not.

The 431st were the Red Devils and the 433rd also used a Satan's head. The stars on the patches were originally the Southern Cross.

ralfabco likes this.
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Iv'e got a bag of patches from WW2.

Ryan S. and ralfabco like this.
  4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Here are a couple I have made along with some others... top left is standard. Next is the WANG patch I designed and had made for circumnavigation of earth in 2018 during a research project, 75th Anniversary was made by the Hurricane Hunter Association last year. The Corona patch I did up a few months ago cause it seemed kinda funny at the time, now it’s become the theme for the year.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mine are in a plastic box except for my retirement box display.

7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Mine were all in a briefcase in the attic until a month or so ago apart from the 4 or so sets I wear regularly. Some life changes happened and I was doing some decorating so I made a felt covered board and put them all up.

8. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #8 ralfabco, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020

433rd FIS - Truax Field. F-89C. Smiling F-89. This is the original period patch from the unit. Note the picture of the F-89C, in the link. The tail has the squadron emblem.

http://www.ufobc.ca/kinross/myStory/monclaMemories/truaxField.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Moncla#:~:text=First%20Lieutenant%20Felix%20Eugene%20Moncla%20Jr.%20%28October%2021%2C,air%20defense%20intercept%20over%20Lake%20Superior%20in%201953.

Redhawk - 123rd FIS. Oregon ANG. Portland. F-51D circa 1950's. Leather patch.

Fighting Cock - 152nd FIS. Rhode Island ANG. F-47D and F-84B. Circa early 1950's. Chenille patch.

4th Fighter All Weather Squadron PACAF F-82F and F-94C. Circa early 1950's.

431st FIS Red Devils. various bases. late 50's ? Dogs and the Deuce.

Eagle Rocket blasting into space 58th FIS Otis AFB F-94C Circa 1955. Wade this is your unit, from the early days of the Cold War !

Attack Squadron 155. Amazing Cold War patch. Unit flew the A4D-2, at the time. Late 1950's.

41st Pursuit Squadron/Fighter Squadron. Paine Field, WA and Australia. FEAF Circa early 1940's. Flying Buzzsaw. Chenille patch.

Attack Squadron 54 F4U Corsair. Circa 1949 Jester

Attack Squadron 11A. SB2C-5 Circa 1946-1947.

Thanks for looking. Who else will have any interest.​

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Had some (maybe 10?) honest to God "Flying Tigers" patches. Well, my Mom had them in a box. She thought they were just knockoffs/fake & she just pitched them out decades ago. Turns out? My uncle, who served in WWII, had been given a mess of them, for a favor he did for somebody involved. Even if they HAD been just fake/recreations? They were cool as Hell, and I wish I had them. :(

ralfabco likes this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    "Throwing out-itis" must be a disease with some people. All of my brother's collection of big band records were thrown out while he was serving in the Pacific Theater as a combat surgeon, most of my art and photos from WW2 were thrown out when my mother died and I was away, a lot of my pictures that were left were chucked by my ex-wife. And so it goes on.

ralfabco likes this.
  11. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #11 ralfabco, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    If you look on ebay you will assume the Flying Tigers just sat around all day hand painting leather patches and stitching cloth badges. No clue how the AVG had additional time to train, fly, and maintain the P-40's.

_____

Some more beauties.

VMF-115 Interwar period - after the China Campaign and before the Korean War. Maj Joe Foss was not in the unit at this time.

VMA-216 NAS Seattle USMCR unit that flew the Able Dog. Late 1950's.

412th Fighter Squadron. Jugs. ETO. Unit disbanded after WW II. Huge 6" chenille patch.

16th Fighter Interceptor Squadron - Korean War. F-86E. Obtained directly from the combat pilot. Silk made patch. 1952.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have heard almost every story imaginable while running after the material. Wife dumped everything years ago while cleaning the home. Quite a few flight jackets have been stolen on-post and or after the A.C. retired. I spoke to a pilot who flew the Ryan Fireball, with VF-66. His leather flight jacket was stolen at UCLA when he attended the school after WW II.

A fire wiped everything out in the home. Over the years we moved around so many times to different bases. It's packed away in the garage but I have not seen any of it in over thirty + years. We had a garage sale a few years ago. It's mounted on the wall under glass. The moths ate almost everything.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Love those patches! You reminded me that my jacket was stolen when I was in college at Duke. I went out and found another one in a shop but it got shredded when I dumped my motorcycle. Saved me from getting more shredded than I was. Come to think of it, that jacket was the only " safety item" that I had. Helmets and leathers were unheard of in 1948.

ralfabco likes this.
  13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Seeing these well earned patches reminded me that those who wore them are the real "aces" here and I am the perpetual on-looker.

ralfabco likes this.
  14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Israel- You should find a copy of the book Combat Squadrons of the Air Force World War II if you do not already have it. Shows all the patches from the squadrons and a unit history up until about 1960. Published by the Office of Air Force History.

For a while, USAF stressed its history and published several books that could be requested for free by any active duty USAF personnel. This was one of them. 841 pages, but patches are unfortunately in B&W, but with a color description.

ralfabco likes this.
  15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Terry

I believe the book is authored by Mauer and Mauer.

Great reference.

Ralph

16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    From my casual observation in the present day there are usually one or two guys who are really talented artists in a unit that do all that sort of art. Not much use for leather flight jackets these days in the plane or here on the gulf coast but there is one guy who has done a bunch of different art work. If you are deployed in some areas of the world you do a drawing of what kinda patch you want and some local person sits there at a sewing machine and cranks it out. Probably pretty similar back in the day.

islerodreaming and ralfabco like this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ralph- Indeed edited by Mauer Mauer, whatever that means.

18. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
  19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ralph- Yup, that is it.

20. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    This is the only patch we wore on our entire flight suit when we flew into Chiayi, ROC. Not even a name tag. Fun days... Image Unavailable, Please Login

ralfabco likes this.