FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 15 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A clear example of bad management in my book.

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I understand your pain, and agreed 100%. Although this gearbox issue might make things interesting.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't recall having said anything in post #231 that could contravene the rules.

Why can't I post on that thread now?

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #354 paulchua, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    All racing fans are welcome here with open arms. Of course, this being Ferrari chat, they would be visiting 'enemy territory' so to speak. That said, we welcome disagreements and arguments, both are encouraged.

Here are some of the lines we draw.
    1) This site's values are counter to any racism and sexism. Insults directed at a person's skin color or their sexual orientation has no place here.
    2) Politics and Religion is very much okay, whoever - we have a section for that, and it's not the F1 forum.
    3) You can attack and insult a member's ideas and arguments, not them personally.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    let me take a closer look.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi William, I don't see anything wrong, that said - send a note to @ylshih for clarification, it might have been done in error. I don't want to override another moderators actions.

Cheers

william likes this.
  7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I hope he comes good during the remainder of the season. He obviously has the B team working on his car and it’s only going to accentuate the lap times between CL and himself unless he finds ‘something‘ in therapy . ‘Older’ guys get slower eventually, nature of the biz.
    Waiting to see if Bottles’ new biker chick ;) and age advantage reinvigorates his competitiveness to the extent he regularly outqualifies Ham (who might be a little less focused now due to his BLM commitments).

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Will do.

Thanks

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I only have good thoughts on Bottas, I was happy to see him best Hamilton (not because I have any grudge again Ham) - simply it's nice to see some new blood, of course I would prefer Ferrari to win first!

Isobel and 635CSI like this.
  10. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just saw yesterday's race and am so disappointed to see 1.) Ferrari's lack of pace, and 2.) Merc's continued dominance. Perhaps this smaller track was not well suited to the Ferrari and we will see a better showing by the Scuderia at the coming longer tracks.

I really don't want to see Hamilton tie (or worse yet, surpass) MS' WDC record. I will be rooting hard for Bottas this year as I think he is the only one capable (given his car) of competing with Hamilton for the championship.

paulchua and freshmeat like this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150386/mercedes-bottas-message-nothing-to-do-with-multi-21

Mercedes has rubbished any talk that it used Multi 21 tactics of cryptic Formula 1 team orders in the Austrian Grand Prix to call off the battle between its drivers.

Valtteri Bottas had been leading the 2020 F1 season opener from Lewis Hamilton when both faced critical gearbox issues that Mercedes feared could cause them to retire from the race.

As well as both drivers being warned to keep off the kerbs, there was a great deal of intrigue when Bottas was given the radio message: "Urgent Chassis Default Two One."

That message prompted memories of the Multi 21 radio call that Red Bull famously handed out to Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber at the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix that was ignored and prompted huge controversy.

Asked after the race about if team orders were used, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said: "Don't get paranoid! This is nothing to do with Multi 21.

"We have never played that, unless there was a problem on the car, and we would never interfere in a fight in the first few races of a season. They were completely free to race each other.

"What we did, that we always do on both cars, we gave them the same recommendations to stay off the kerbs. And because there was no competitor basically at a certain stage, we switched the engines to a lower mode to protect the power unit.

"There was no, zero, team orders. No hidden, no subtle, and no direct."

The only time Mercedes did consider perhaps interfering with the positions was in the closing stages when Hamilton had a five-second penalty for his collision with Alex Albon.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The pit wall discussed the idea of telling Bottas to let Hamilton through so the British driver could extend a gap to protect second place, but in the end it was felt too complicated a situation to manage.

Wolff added: "Maybe with all the information afterwards we would have gotten P3. There was a discussion, but that starts to get really messy.

"We've had it in Budapest many years ago, and we nearly got overtaken by [Max] Verstappen. The thinking that I had was that you need to explain to Valtteri what is going on, that there is a five-second penalty, and then ask Lewis in the last lap to let Valtteri pass again.

"So if Valtteri can't keep up, he can't let him past, and if [Charles] Leclerc and [Lando] Norris on fresh tyres are on his gearbox, then obviously Valtteri rather than winning the race ends up fourth. Too much complexity to do such a switch. Too much risk."

12. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Whether Leclerc drove like Alonso in Austria this past weekend. Ferrari has not seen race craft like that since Alonso.

That point was made, you said it was insulting to Leclerc, I defended it, you made points that were completely irrelevant about how Alonso has carried himself OFF the track, and here we are.

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Enjoyed this thread so much, I want to watch the race now. Unfortunately I'm in Colorado with no TV, only internet.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's an outright lie from Toto.