Was the Hamilton sanction too light? | FerrariChat

Was the Hamilton sanction too light?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    I feel that 5 seconds is too light considering that Lewis totally ruined Albon's race, I think it was at least for a Drive-Through.
    What do you think?

375+ likes this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes! Drive through. The penalty did not ruin his race at the level he ruined albon's race. His action was rookie for a 6X WDC. It looked intentional for a driver of his talent and caliber. He is a great driver and could beat Schmacher's record and could be GOAT but I have no respect for the man because we have seen what kind of man he is since he arrived on the scene at McLaren.

Igor Ound and 444sp like this.
  3. mrchaztsai

mrchaztsai Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2020
    Hong Kong/Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Charlie T
    I'm on the fence, I feel for Albon but looking at the feed Hamilton's steering wheel didn't budge, he was already on full lock trying to prevent the car from understeering any more than it already was. Albon also had new tires on, so had he been patient and waited 2-3 laps he very likely could have passed Hamilton without any issue or drama.

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hamilton was accelerating past the apex at the point of impact and I'm not sure that was actually full lock on the steering wheel. I think he understeered deliberately to tap him and unnerve him. Perhaps taking him out completely wasn't the objective, but that's what was achieved. I'd have given him a drive-through for that one.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Whatever the penalty it wouldn’t have undone the damage or help Albon make up places. Albon was chasing the win with the softer tires, he genuinely could’ve caught bottas.

With that said, had they not come together, Leclerc/Ferrari wouldn’t have gotten a podium. So in a way, thanks Hambone!

E60 M5, jcurry and Bas like this.
  6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's typical Hamilton, and he should have been parked.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This is something you expect from a rookie in F3. Not a 6x WDC.

Hamilton was WELL aware that Albon was on him, he even defended going into the corner. Albon was able to go on the power much earlier, came out well ahead of lewis who hit him on the rear right with his front left. It was a bad and sad move from Lewis.

he was nowhere near full lock

8. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I expected a drive-through at the time, and I still think that would be the correct decision.

stavura and Bas like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree, the pace Albon had on those tyres I think a win was looking nearly certain.

10. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Nope, too harsh - racing accident.
    Albon tracked Lewis out twice on lap 1, so I cry no great tears for him ;)

11. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I don't think Hamilton thought Albon would stick it and the move caught him by surprise. I thought they would label it a racing incident to be honest.

It sucks for Albon but the car broke anyways. The penalty was deserved given others were able to complete passes like that during the race without incident.

Hopefully fortune smiles on Albon in the not so distant future.

Dincenzo likes this.
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If you trying to pass Lewis on the outside you better have your **** together.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Watch Hamilton defend on the entry. He knew he was there.

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    exact same crap he used to pull with Rosberg

fil, 375+, stavura and 1 other person like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I posted this video on the "RACE" thread on page 12 post #286.

This video shows Albon(inside) and Lewis(outside) on the opening lap. Albon gives Lewis enough space on the outside to execute and overtake.....several times in the corners....but Lewis cannot execute the overtakes so backs out of it.

Now on Lap 68(??) the positions are reversed, Lewis is on the inside and Albon on the outside, but this time Albon was overtiakeing Lewis and had 50% of his car ahead of Lewis which Lewis clipped Albon's right rear tire closing the door on Albon. Lewis deserved the 5 sec. penalty.

Compare Albon's reaction on the opening lap to Lewis's, a 5x WDC, reaction on lap 68(??).....

classic308 likes this.
  16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    In my book it was a racing incident. Hamilton didn’t open up
    In the corner, he kept It tight...look at the video feed of his steering wheel; it didn’t move one mm to the left.

all he could have done is lift off.

Albon went for a gap that was always going to shrink in physical space; he took a chance and lost. Should have tucked up behind Lewis and took him on one of the straights.

Personally I don’t think there should have been any penalty.

Dincenzo and Patrick Dixon like this.
  17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It was Hamilton's fault, but I'm not sure if he could have changed his trajectory at that moment. Also Albon was so much faster that maybe Hamilton could not react fast enough to lift off. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt: penalize but not too much. Albon's race was ruined anyway even if they had disqualified Hamilton.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

19. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Anybody can see Albon pushed Hamilton out twice on the first lap, i think if they didn't collide in Brazil, this would simply be ruled as a racing incident.

Dincenzo and william like this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Red Bull tried to create as much trouble as possible for Mercedes before the race, by asking the stewards to change their decision.
    Then Verstappen had engne troubles and Albon lost an almost certain 2nd place through a very daring move,
    So there was some poetic justice in the end.

Dincenzo and ktu like this.
  21. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    HAMILTON IS SUCH A SORE LOSER!

22. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Says the guy who is complaining on the radio after loosing a potential win

23. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    you'd think so but then Schumacher used far uglier moves as did Prost and Senna.

I doubt it was intentional by Lewis. Albon was just unlucky, got too eager and decided not to play it safe. could have worked but didn't this time. Hamilton was lucky he didn't suffer suspension damage.

24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    albon’s perceived lack of patience has nothing to do with Hammy’s errors. Hammy had a bad weekend all around, out-qualified by Jeeves, the yellow light and Albon incidents which also resulted in 4 penalty points. I’m sure he will rebound as he has the best car on the grid but mentally he didn’t act like a multiple WDC winner. Let’s see what happens this weekend.

Picchu88 and stavura like this.
  25. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Much lols :D

Best,
    Sammy