Steps after searching internet | FerrariChat

Steps after searching internet

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gary Howell, Jul 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I was in this position about 4 years ago. Here's some shopping tips, now that I own one.

- Don't be surprised if some of those linked cars are actually not for sale. You'll be amazed at how often listings stay up after a car isn't even available
    - If it's from a dealer, try to determine how long they've had the car. Sometimes you can do this by seeing the car listed on several different sites
    - Ebay cars are annoying to deal with. Not impossible, but freaking annoying
    - Ditto for Craigslist. Also, assume every Ferrari on Craigslist is a scam until proven otherwise.
    - Ditto for "Cars.com" etc listings. I lost count of how many scam email responses I got, after inquiring about a particular car. More than once, it was a listing for a car that they DID NOT EVEN HAVE, because I'd see the same pics on different sites with different info.

Honestly, your best starting point is the ads on Fchat. Beyond that, take note of the cars' locations, factor shipping costs into everything. Learn the differences between years, and why it matters ('83 vs '84, for example). I probably spent about 4-5 months ONLY looking at different adverts, before I started making offers. (And before that, it was several years on Fchat reading everything I could about the cars, so at least I had a baseline of knowledge.)

rocket50 and Gary Howell like this.
  2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #3 kcabpilot, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Honestly, before you start paying people to do an inspection you're going to have to narrow your choices. You're just going to have to buck up and pick one and go with it. There are a couple of advantages to the '84-'85 over the '83 such as rust protection, no air pump, better air injection manifold, single catalytic converter and improved fuel control with O2 sensor (lambda)

thorn and rocket50 like this.
  3. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    #4 rocket50, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Agree with everything above. Make a list of your perfect car and then see how those seven tick the boxes. I absolutely did not want black interior. Too hot in the summer for me especially with the targa top off. Little things can be a game changer imo. Also, I prefer the European set up with deeper front spoiler, lights and mirrors. Harder to find in the states though.

Figure out your top 3 and then start digging a little deeper on them. Cars will eliminate themselves. When was the last major service done? If your the car needs it soon, make sure you consider that as well because it can get expensive. If you have the skills to do it yourself you will save money but at the expense of time. My skills are not where I trust myself on my F car and I sure don't have the time to do a lot of maintenance.

Also, research here on Fchat. So much knowledge in previous threads.

thorn likes this.
  4. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
  5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gary, would you be interested on a 1985 GTS QV, 42k miles, one owner, very clean, and well maintained regularly, and in a Prugna color? PM me if interested.

BigTex likes this.
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would add, that sometimes WHO is selling the car is important, so check FCA Classifieds, Ferrari Market Letter, places like that (and our ads above)...where it's "person to person"..

My most satisfying deals have all sourced that way...

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I guess that I don't fit the mold, I sent one email to a Jaguar friend, and 15 minutes and two emails later I was off to pick up my car.

No PPI, nuttin'.

Lester

Sure I sacrificed some chickens (Virgins are so hard to find) and did the dance around the fire. Maybe I was just lucky. ;-)