430 - Thoughts on sale price of factory F1 versus aftermarket conversion to manual | FerrariChat

430 Thoughts on sale price of factory F1 versus aftermarket conversion to manual

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fort Worth 360, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    I have a 2007 F430 Spider with approximately 32,000 miles well-maintained Nero exterior with tan interior.

My question is if I were to consider selling the car would converting it to a manual set up with the cost of conversion ( approximately $20k) provide a higher return then an F1 plus the cost of conversion?

So if right now my car is worth somewhere in the 80 to 85 range what would it bring with the converted gearbox?

Curious to read responses thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    This is a new unanswered question but I would guess the first several bring at least your car plus the cost. You can also factor in the new clutch, which adds value too.

3. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Nope

Skidkid likes this.
  4. Fort Worth 360

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    No one has a crystal ball but I think you would be rewarded later on.
    For example, if someone (or me) was looking for a nice F430 and couldn't afford to even look at a 'true' manual (yeah, me again), then your car for $20K more would be very attractive as a compromise on value. Yes value because someone else (you) already went to the trouble of time and $$ to make it happen.

Plus you get to enjoy that gated feeling until you decide to sell. Personally, I would think it would be a keeper since the 'true' gated ones are garage queens (yes, I know , not all of them but most). My opinion, of course.

6. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    Today, I would only pay a little more for a converted car than having one converted myself if the car was local and closer to my ideal spec.

However: factory parts for the conversion are in limited supply. At some point converted cars with factory parts will be sought after (less than original manuals, of course) because new conversions will rely on aftermarket parts.

EastMemphis likes this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am with FerRrari, not worth the investment. Someone would probably pay a little more but probably not 20K more. And, no insult intended but black hasn't been that popular over the past bunch of years. Of course tastes change but it is not the hot ticket right now and hasn't been for at least 5 years so making a spec move on that car adds risk. While the vocal group here says gated are going to explode in price, I am not convinced. I can drive one and so can my wife but most younger people can not and don't care to. SO, over time you have the potential to self select out of a large percentage of the market. So I don't think it is a great plan to sell a car. Now if YOU want to do it for yourself, not for resale, I say have at it.

Husker, MKTViper and KC360 FL like this.
  8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I think that in the panacea of modifications that you can do to your car, this one has at least some chance of just about paying for itself. This puts it streets ahead of nearly all other modifications in pure financial terms. You're asking for trouble though if you're looking to make money out of the conversion. First and foremost you should be doing it because its the car you want. If the money side works out in the long term, then this should just be seen as a bonus.

mwstewart, curvesurfer and Skidkid like this.
  9. Fort Worth 360

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    Thanks everyone for your responses and input frankly I don’t really love the F1 transmission on the 430 I really do miss my three pedal 360 more than anything just was thinking is there more bang for the buck in the conversion than just my enjoyment thank you for your thoughts

curvesurfer likes this.
  10. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    For your own enjoyment its worth it. To do it simply to get a bit more profit on resale is a gamble

m5shiv, curvesurfer and brogenville like this.
  11. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I'd convert it, but for your own usage.

You'll get a large portion of the money you dump into it for the MT Back, but I woudln't expect it all. But who cares, even if you lose 1/2 of it, 10K, you've enjoyed it for that anyways.

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    This reminds me of the whole “should we re-do the kitchen” question. We have spent $150K on all sorts of fancy renovations, but the house might be worth $50K more as a result.

VAF84, Skidkid and EastMemphis like this.
  13. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Ugh, I wish you would have told us this before I replaced my 360's "dated" aluminum trim with backsplash tiles.

Skidkid likes this.
  14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    haha. Hopefully you went white subway tile like everyone else. :D

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the bat auction was a waste but it answers the OP question - you will get your money back if you convert to manual

17. Fort Worth 360

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    At the rnm price I would be about 10k ahead of my all in

18. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The conversion might be profitable today. However, once a number of cars have been converted, the market inevitably will become saturated and converted cars, especially those made from aftermarket (vs. real Ferrari) parts, may actually be worth less than original F1 models.

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nah there wont be enough of them converted - if anything conversion parts prices will come down

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I don't think that 'factory parts' vs 'aftermarket parts' would have much if any impact on price. Once it isn't stock it isn't stock and really doesn't matter who sold the part.

21. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Tough to say. Years down the road it may not be worth noticeably more than the F1, but it may be sell more quickly. I consider two factors. There will be an appeal as the years go by and parts become more difficult to source, to own an F430 with less hard to replace parts and lower maintenance. The manual (even aftermarket) would have a greater appeal. However, as the years go by, the number of people who know how to drive a manual or want to deal with driving one in traffic, will likely be lower in number. So you would have less buyers. Honestly, I think it would be a wash from a profit stand point. You'd maybe get the conversion cost back, but not much more as time goes on. The F1 really does go well with the F430.

22. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Among the car people I know, notably including young ones, a manual transmission is still very desirable. Take for example the new 718 Spyder. Manual only. I think learning to drive a stick will become a badge of honor with younger car enthusiasts.

curvesurfer and one4torque like this.
  23. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    If you want a gated manual get one or convert one but doing it to make a profit is not the best business plan.

Robb likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I agree

25. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Has anyone that’s converted their 430 to manual made some of the money back by selling the F1 parts? Seems as pricey as the parts are you could make back a good portion of the cost.