488 - La PISTA è arrivata | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    With regards to the volume knob- I have the same issue. Sometimes its almost immediate- other times it takes a few seconds like you described.

SECRET likes this.
  2. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Nice write up and glad your first miles are going well.

Did you spec JBL?

SECRET likes this.
  3. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    I've experienced this too. It made me laugh when I was showing a friend - Ferrari have solved the engineering challenge of turbo lag... yet the volume lag is worse than anything I've experienced in any car.

Very embarrassing when you aren't expecting it. Especially given the lag is also there when you're trying to turn it back down again.

SECRET likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You dial it up. Nothing happens and 5 seconds later it’s wayyyy too loud!! Ferrari electronics. Lol

SECRET likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe this provides for the most power vs being open and losing some torque.

SECRET likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No I'm afraid it's just another example of Ferrari's self proclaimed electronic wizardry gone wrong. Hopefully one day they'll wake up and smell the roses and call in the German or the Japs.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Really? So you believe its just poor programming? That would be disappointing. I haven't driven my Pista in 2 months, I have been away. Hopefully I can take it on a road trip next week and wring it out a bit.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I drove mine yesterday for a good run and it's a great car and love it bit there really is no excuse for bad electronics in this day and age.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I bet some of the more well known programmers could tweak it but I would be concerned about warranty. I assume the aftermarket exhausts behave the same way.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No maybe you read me wrong. I was talking about the stereo and other electronics. Their exhaust flaps are part of their way of delivering superior linearity, boost recovery and throttle response and I respect that and am ok with that. Ferrari's engine tech is very good. No complaints there. They really need to lift their game on the other stuff though.

SECRET and Gh21631 like this.
  11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    No, although I wish I did now. I bet it would actually be pretty decent given how much the base system has improved from the 458 generation.

Yes, I was playing something random to listen to the stereo in a parking lot. I couldn't hear it so I cranked it up. Didn't hear anything so I cranked it up again and then it started blasting something quite embarrassing to people walking out of stores. I smiled nervously as this is not the type of "sound" you expect to see coming out of a spanking new Ferrari supercar! Upon my further dismay, the stereo responded to my second volume change input and blasted my ear drums.

I didn't think to try to reach for my phone to turn down the volume there. Will try that next time.

As a side note, I actually put the buttons on the back of the steering wheel to good using during my drive later that afternoon. Left-hand-side button rocker UP = volume up and rocker DOWN = volume down. Right-hand-side button rocker UP = Next Song and rocker DOWN = Previous Song. Pretty handy!

Agreed about the stereo and electronics. Saw this randomly while I was walking through to plug in the car. Car was already locked for a little while. Looks like the audio/nav/phone controls were backlit.

Funny thing is my family was just asking me earlier in the day about why Ferraris need to be plugged in. I was trying to explain unexpected leakage currents and drains that tend to plague Ferraris. I found myself thinking: it's kind of unacceptable that it still occurs and is expected. They've really trained customers to lower expectations there.

It's also funny that they would go through such great lengths to put engineering resources into further improve the charger as well as relocate the charging connector to the external surface of the car. It means a group of engineers also had to verify it's performance with exposure to the elements etc. The root of the issue comes down to engineers not being thorough in designing and speccing subsystems + software, despite the way lower volumes and higher budgets to deliver product.

Ash Patel likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its just pure laziness by Ferrari not to improve the sound system. On a more encouraging note, I had a chance to sit in the Roma and they have completely revamped the entire interior so hopefully that sound system is much better.

Ash Patel likes this.
  13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I guess the big question is if the issues with battery drain are coming from leakage current in their electrical architecture/implementation or from software bugs. If it's the former, maybe the new Roma/SF90 interior is a good thing! If it's the later, eek!

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William

LOL! It’s worse with the phone in the 458. Turn up volume to hear incoming calls, then remember to cover your ears when the woman’s voice booms ‘phone call completed’ at 140 decibels. At least I’m glad I sprung for the Premium JBL sound so it can deafen me quicker.

I’ve made peace with many Ferrari flaws, but not this one....

SECRET and Jo Sta7 like this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Haha or be terrified when someone calls and she screams “Incoming Call” or whatever she says out of nowhere. So shocking.

wthensler, SECRET and Ash Patel like this.
  16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Just a guess. Can those of you with 488s with a delayed volume control untether your Bluetooth phone and try again... just a shot in the dark...

SV

17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Very well done!! Congratulations!

SECRET likes this.
  18. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Will give it a shot tonight. I bet you're right that the delay may only be present with bluetooth present. I'd also be curious if folks have iOS or Android phones if it makes a difference.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think that’s correct cause I usually have my phone connected to listen to music. But still inexcusable.

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Delay I found to be when my apple phone is connected. When I saw that I just disconnected it. Who wants to answer a phone call anyway when your in a Ferrari :)

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I went for a fun little drive this evening and noticed a few issues. :(

1. Forza Exhaust Controller seems to have decided to stop working. And boy oh boy does that take a lot of joy away!

I'm going to try and use the other remote in a sec to see if it fixes the issue. Hopefully that's it. Otherwise, I'll give @bisel a holler to get some troubleshooting tips. It was installed by the dealer during PDI, so maybe there was an issue there.​

2. Upon start-up, the left screen in the dash is reporting "Incomplete Vehicle Data. Contact Dealer." Yikes! Hopefully that's not a big issue!

3. The dashboard staying lit up when the car is locked. Don't like that at all as it's a drain, esp. if I'm not home or near a tender.

22. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Frustrating teething pains. Hope you get them all sorted promptly so you can have fun without worry.
    How lit up does the dashboard remain? Just a faint glow like in the LEDs or does the side screen logo remain? Did you check it after a little period of time to see if it timed out and totally turned off?

23. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Thanks for the well wishes. I messed about with the second Forza remote, and it doesn't seem like it made a difference. Already reached out to the dealer tonight to see if I can get the car in this week.

I tried to see if I could figure out the dash light issue as well. The lights look fully lit up. I went to check again and now it looks like it's off. Maybe the first time it took longer to time out?

Looks like it might be related to the radio staying on. I'm wondering if it's normal when you turn the car off that the radio can still be turned on and off. I suppose it would make sense that the backlight for those buttons stays on for that courtesy radio availability. It doesn't make sense to me that it would stay on after the car is locked and alarm is set though.

24. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I haven't tried turning the radio on/off after the car is shut down (usually I'm streaming over bluetooth, if anything), but I have noticed on my 488 the side screens will stay on longer than I expected. However, they do ultimately shut down and I've never had a battery issue (knock on wood).
    I've been wondering if the the new lithium power supply coupled with whatever software updates are present will affect the pista's quirks.
    There's no harm is just powering down the radio to reduce its draw. From what others have posted, there's quite a bit of parasitic activity.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This particular problem must only be with the standard stereo as I have the JBL in the Pista and it doesn't have that problem. I tried it again today in both blu tooth and usb and the JBL works perfectly and sounds more than acceptable to my ears. But I would agree that the stock stereo in a car of this pedigree and price point should be of a much better standard with no issues such as what has been reported.