What’s the fastest you’ve ever had your 360/430? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What’s the fastest you’ve ever had your 360/430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    But when the car you are passing is doing 130 it doesn't seem so fast;)

2. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    ~125 with the top down. The car really comes alive when pushed. Posting for a friend.

BlacktopRacing, VAF84 and one4torque like this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    About 145 mph. Can't say for sure since I only glance at the speedo at those speeds. Nice thing is you can get there pretty quickly and then bring it right back down. Car feels very stable and controllable. No lift, no wandering. Nice.

Always by myself and on an open road in daylight. I have no interest in road racing some hotshot looking to test his metal-- or more importantly his driving skills.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    In 360 Did 165 just to be able to say I did 100mph over speed limit. Fastest I ever went In any car. (By speedo so I suppose really 150). Only once on a baron stretch of highway. No need to ever do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    How does the 360 handle at 150mph+++++???? anything come to mind?

I've driven my old C63 at these speeds.... very comfortable.....

Also drove my 1969 firebird at triple digit speeds with drum brakes, and stock suspension...... the front end begins to rise up above 100mph..... allowing the fr susp to float around.... with some very delayed response to st wheel inputs.

All experiences related to me from some friends.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The number one best thing about the Ferrari is the generous speedometer readings. I have a video around here somewhere (looking...) at an indicated 160 mph (comfortable like a Cadillac). Actual speed? 150 or less. Our speedos read 10% high (which unfortunately means that our miles are 10% high too). Which is perfect for us speed demons.

Here is that video:

You can see that while I am reaching those speeds the car is as stable as a cruise missile. That was 8 years ago. I do that as often as I can, even today.

BlacktopRacing and one4torque like this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Bye bye bimmers!!!

Michael B likes this.
  8. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    360 spider at 145 on ......yes....an american highway. Just upto and down...our roads just aren't good enough. Cheers!

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I don’t know. I’m sure my top speed has been at a track, but I’m too busy looking for the braking and turn in points to look at the speedo! 130-135 maybe?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

jag-oo-r likes this.
  10. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    150 MPH on the front straight at TWS about 100+ times, and 160 MPH on the back straight at COTA about 100+ times.

jag-oo-r and VAF84 like this.
  11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    205 MPH indicated in my Spider and it still had some left (the car is well above standard power). I backed off because the engine lid warning light came on as the air pressure lifted the lid sufficiently clear of the ajar switch to trigger the warning lamp. I know it's only a cheaply made Lancia latch so I didn't fancy pressing on.

It's quite loud in the cabin at that speed :)

jag-oo-r and VAF84 like this.
  12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    So true about the old muscle cars.
    Some years ago I had a well sorted 1957 Pontiac Chieftan that I once took to 90MPH. The car was all over the road (with radial tires mind you) and the feeling of the car going completely out of control had me swear I would never do that again!! Talk about front end float...

13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    To putter around in. :D

Eric C likes this.
  14. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    160 (indicated) several times in my 360 Modena.
    Rock solid. Amazing how quickly it got there. Passenger on board owns a Z06 and was impressed with rawness and elegance. What a combo that only Ferrari can provide.

KC360 FL likes this.
  15. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    181 via gps. It's great to be in Texas 'cause Mexico is sooo close. Indicated speed was about 20 mph since the stepper motor drops as you press the go fast switch to the floor. As I'm briskly cruising, I remembered that this part of Mexico has a bunch of cerdos roaming around and that wouldn't be as easy to get off as the love bugs....

16. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    135 with top down, windows up in my 430 spider. Windows down 125. I noticed a profound difference in how much more stable the car feels windows up vs down. Having the windows up really helps the aerodynamics even with the top down. Still haven't gotten to a track yet (thanks Covid), but plan to beat that record in a more "controlled environment".

Interesting side-note... For comparison I've been 875 mph (Mach 1.15) in an F-16 at 500' above the tree tops. Same intense concentration and feelings of exhilaration, excitement, fear, and apprehension knowing that one wrong move could be disastrous.

Alas, my flying days have been long over. And THATS why I bought a Ferrari!

Cheers!

P.S. I've been 110mph in a '69 Corvette with the top down and that was the scariest of all.

VAF84 likes this.
  17. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Coming back home...from Mexico....when a Chevy Silverado pulled up next to me while I was doing 90ish. He jumped. I didn't want to play so I dropped it a gear and just pulled off. This brick of a truck pulls up to me while I'm doing somewhere around 130...except I'm on his passenger side now and I see the 4-6" exhaust dump from his fender. I drop it down again and he hangs with me longer than I want. Coming up on a small dip...well, small at 70ish....little bigger at 150ish...it's night, it's dark, and I missed my turn, so I lean on the brakes....back end lifts and gets a little squirrely. I wasn't worried too much as my PFRS had me locked down. Found out later guy in the Silverado smoked his engine doing that....6.0 TT

Oops, you wanted stories about other cars....buddy had a 78 Monte Carlo with a hopped up 305. Speedo only showed 85 but that needle wrapped around to the ODO post and using our math and geometry skills, we est. we were doing at least 150, maybe closer to 180...lol

18. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not advocating reckless driving on public roads... But do you at least accelerate fast from 0-40? Not sure I see the point in even owning a sports car if you never drive 'sporty'.

19. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    If it's anything like the clock, it's plus or minus 20mph :)

The speedometer is for reference only, the clock is useless.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I don't drive sporty. I know a guy here who has a Maser who does that and it looks kind of silly to me, weaving in and out of traffic, pushing people, acting like it's Monaco. And then we are all sitting at the same stop light.

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    0-to posted speed always fast...that is the fun of the car

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Generally the car is stable at speed. If the road gets really rough, it breaks up the laminar flow and you lose a lot of downforce. Suddenly the car goes from planted and positive to floaty and downright scary.

cpep likes this.
  23. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Do you actually only drive Ferrari so you can go at a high top speed? Perhaps an old 2002 ZO6 like mine for $9K which says 189 mph in the manual would be a better car for you? I have other reasons for owning a 430

24. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That sounds like reckless driving to me... Big difference from "pushing people" to accelerating from a standstill to legal speeds quickly.

I was simply asking the OP if he even drives his car from 0-40 quickly... It just seems fascinating for one to own an uncomfortable sports car only to drive it around town like it was a luxobarge.

Isn't it good for the engine on these cars to cycle through all RPM's and really be driven? You gotta blow the carbon out the engine somehow!

Eric C likes this.
  25. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    160, car still felt very stable.