360 - 360 Running Rough | FerrariChat

360 360 Running Rough

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aeron Fout, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    My 360 all of the sudden started running very rough as soon as I finished washing it the other day. I am very careful not to get a ton of water in the engine bay or intakes. I drove it for about 10 miles with no improvement, came home and cycled the battery switch off then back on, and it started running like new again. Has anyone experienced this? Could it possibly have ingested a little water during the wash?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Unlikely that any water got in through the intakes. There are drains the the air box so it really can't get in that way. As for why, you will never know. That cycling the battery is a 'fix' for anything is one of the most stupid internet legends that is constantly propagated. Cycling the battery is a last resort, not a troubleshooting/maintenance process. When you cycle the battery you clear any codes that are stored so you will never know what was having issues.

SpencerMarks and EastMemphis like this.
  3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    A few items to check:;

bad mass air meter
    Try swapping w known good mas
    Or pull codes and swap side to side

oil in intake
    It can build up over time
    Did you have oil change or added recently?

o2 sensors... prefer to see a code b4 swap

gl

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    coils. I'd pull the coils and dry them out at least..

RANDY6005, one4torque and 24000rpm like this.
  5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Never cycle the battery until you pull any pending codes, then you are stuck asking a bunch of forum goons on the internet about a problem with no information to go on. Wait till it happens again and pull the codes. If it doesn't, congrats.....but it will still be a mystery.

6. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Not my first rodeo. I did pull the codes before doing anything else. Only one was for emissions because of my deleted cats.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes, I did.

There was another thread on how to clean your engine using a bathroom foam product and then carefully rinsing it off. Well I did that and low & behold when I started it it ran like crap. I had used an open ended garden hose with the tap 1/3 open so a little more than a trickle to wash off the foam.

I pulled the codes and all were on misfires. Knowing that the car ran perfectly before the wash I attributed it to water ingestion or shorting due to the water and not worry about the mass air sensors or O2 or anything else. I concentrated on drying it out. I let it ran like crap for about 10 mins to heat up the engine, bought a shop vac that can be reversed to push air instead of suck (you know the type) and also left the hatch open in the sun for about 4 hours.

I then cleared each code and it restarted and ran like nothing happened.
    Never doing that again!

Aeron Fout, Skidkid and Apollo 11 like this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Well it wasn't mentioned in the post. Most likely you turning off the battery had nothing to do with the "fix". On top of that,it may not have been failing long enough to produce any codes..on top of that we have no idea what scanner you are using, many of them can only talk to one of the ECU's and the codes are stored on the other...so I'll stand by my claim that there was not enough info in your original post for any kind of helpful dialogue.

It's completely plausible (and has happened to me on other cars) that there were traces of moisture had made their way down into one or more of the coils, especially if they are older, and caused misfires which would cause the car to run like crap...and had dried out by the time you performed with the battery reset.