Oil Change | FerrariChat

Oil Change

Discussion in '348/355' started by bob massaroni, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob massaroni

bob massaroni Rookie

May 26, 2019
    Hanover PA
    Full Name:
    bob massaroni
    I use Synthetic oil and my mechanic tells me I need to change it annually. I drive it less than 1,000 miles a year and usually end up adding 3-4 quarts during the year and the oil looks real clean. Is it really necessary to change the oil annually? Otherwise, what is the yearly service required on a 1990 348?

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would say no. There is an argument that water builds up in the oil, but if you are driving 1,000 miles (hopefully with some gusto), you should boil the water out regularly when you drive.

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    You add 3 - 4 quarts during 1,000 miles of driving?

Spending $100 annually for some PM and an oil change is a concern how?

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I’d say, no it’s not necessary; but for the cost why wouldn’t you?

With the added benefit somebody is looking over your car; as with any car that is circa 30 year old cars they will need constant fettling.

As to the service interval; it’s in your manual; and oil is annual.

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I would say if your car burns 3-4 quarts during the year that's about 12 quarts every 3,000 mi. I don't think you ever need to do an oil change...ever. Maybe an engine change, but not an oil change

Incaico, The Outcast, Beetle and 2 others like this.
  6. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Technically no you don't, but if it's got awesome service history then you may want to keep it up for the next owner.

However as others have said, I agree. You burn 3 quarts in 1,000 miles?

Either your engine is knackered, you have a bad leak, or you are doing the infamous f355 "overfill".

If the latter don't worry, we're all guilty of it.

7. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Read manual. Check engine oil at running temp. While eng is running or directly after shutting down. I use a glove and check while running. That is huge oil consumption

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    3-4 quarts for that minimal driving seems excessive.

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    My E-type leaks a quart or so per year. My garage floor is proof! But it's a Jag, and that's what they do.
    It would trouble me if my Mondial t (same engine as the 348) required more top-ups than the E-type.

10. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Typically, for any car, engine oil is once per year while other fluids like brake, coolant, etc are every two years. Other items like diff and trans can be extend for several years and typically based on mileage. Although Ferraris are more time based than mileage based.

Losing a quart of oil every 250 miles is a major concern. How are you checking the oil level when you add the oil?

11. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    If you are driving your car that limited mileage, I would be more worried about brake fluid than oil. I have several cars that sit for extended times with limited mileage. I have had more issues with fuel and brake fluid than anything else. Sitting is tough on a car.

I have been changing brake fluid every two years and making notes when the fuel tank was last filled on my cars. I always use non ethanol with stabil, but try and put fresh fuel in them every year. I have also heated and cooled my shop and put in a dehumidifier. Here in SC we get a lot of humidity. That humidity is hard on brake fluid and gas tanks.

I have become the guy that I used to make fun of when I was young.......the guy with nice cars that never drives them!

drbob101 likes this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Agree on the brake guild and gas. Key to the latter as you know is keeping the tank topped up to minimise oxygen and possible condensation. (local lawnmower place says 80% of repairs are due to gummed up carbs from rubbish fuel,)

A quart per 250 mild is a lot. Think the manual says 1/2 to 1/4 of that is normal.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And even then its excessive, I suspect they just say that to prevent rebuilds in the event of poor assembly or user doing something to cause wear like run the oil level way too low for too long.

A348W likes this.
  14. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    Fresh oil never hurts, it's cheap easy maintenance. I always change oil at least once a year, more often if doing track days or higher mileage.

308 GTB likes this.
  15. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Why is your mechanic not advising you on the horrendous oil consumption, assuming of course you are checking the oil correctly.

16. bob massaroni

bob massaroni Rookie

May 26, 2019
    Hanover PA
    Full Name:
    bob massaroni
    The oil change is $450. Do you change your own oil? I should probably learn how.

17. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Is that what they charge now? Getting up there.

Yes, I do most of my own work.

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Too easy. Follow the steps here and heed the warnings as well.

http://www.my348.com/348.html#Oil

19. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Are you sure it's not leaking oil rather than it being "consumed"????

20. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    I take my 355 for oil changes every other year. Indy work to include filter change. Between those years, I flush/fill at home. My thinking mirrors previous posts that a trusted mechanic might spot other issues. With 25yr old cars, bigger issues are brake, coolant and trans fluid maintenance IMHO.

Wade likes this.