458 - Have you ever gotten a "Check Engine" light for no reason on your 458? | FerrariChat

458 Have you ever gotten a "Check Engine" light for no reason on your 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by up4speed, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 up4speed, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    There seems to be posts here and there on the forums stating that 458's displayed a Check Engine light, when there is actually nothing wrong with the car.

How many people have received these "random" lights, just to clear them, and have them never come back? I don't want to hear about the ones where there was an actual problem, just the ones that are "fake".
    If you had a fake CEL, most importantly what was it for, and did it pop up again after being cleared (if so, how many times)?
    Also, if you figured out what "tricked" the computer to display the false CEL, what was it?

I'm wondering if there is some programming issue with Ferrari electronics? Why does this not happen with Hondas and Toyotas as frequently? (doesn't Bosch make the electronics for most manufacturers)

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I get "catalytic temperature implausible" occasionally turning the car on, and "electrical system failure" every few weeks turning it off (comes up as I'm turning the key so I'm assuming it's a pulse of something from the electronics as it turns off). Nothing wrong though.

Natkingcolebasket69 and IloveGT like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    battery is a usual suspect.

up4speed likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Chris,

The joys of italian electronics I guess. Have had those fake warnings both on a dying battery and after changing it to a fresh one. Sometimes out of the blue, I get those. Then I don’t get them for years. Then they pop up again. Car running smoothly as ever. I stopped trying to make sense of it to be honest.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

up4speed and dustman like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Sounds like a Mac

6. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    If you turn the key on and let the car go through all of its electronic cycles before starting the car you get fewer erroneous error messages.

turbokraft, r6elmo, Need4Spd and 7 others like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Exactly, give it a chance to run through the systems.

8. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    She’s Italian, she doesn’t like to be rushed.

I find it adorable that this car has both a key and a start button. You have to wait about ten or so seconds between the two to let it cycle through It’s ‘stuff’.

If you do get the error, go drive it on a highway for about ten minutes, pull over, turn it all the way off and open/close door to make sure all systems shut down, and restart it, this time by waiting a bit between the key and the start button. It will clear the fault if it’s a tantrum and not an actual issue.

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting that you made the connection with a new battery also (I was wondering the same) usually all of the electronics issues that are reported, stem from an old, weak battery.. I never had any CEL lights the whole time I owned my car, but "tactically" replaced the battery at 4 years just to avoid any of the false lights (things like that aggravate me).
    Well, What do you know, even though I always do the proper start up procedure and wait for the electronics to communicate and for the beeping to stop, after the 2nd or 3rd cold start with new battery, I got an error code for "secondary Air Pump Low Flow" for both banks. I have the Launch X431 tool, and activated the air pump just to make sure that it worked properly, and it did, so I reset the CEL.
    I've started it cold twice so far and it hasn't triggered another code (yet). So I'm guessing that it may have been a situation like you mentioned, that my car set a code due to a new battery.
    If I had to guess, maybe the electronics are very sensitive to volts/amps while doing startup communication tests, and it takes a little time to learn the parameters after power was lost and restored, and if it's a tiny bit off, the car triggers a CEL. Strange...

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    As most people know , the check engine light is a fairly common and very non-specific issue.
    Aside from a failing battery and a problem with the fuel inlet valves or filler cap, one should discuss with a certified service center.
    F Chat probably won’t be able to diagnose your cars problem. Bad battery, bad inlet valves, bad fuel cap, bad variators, bad butterfly intake manifold, bad ...

You might also be best served by engaging a certified mechanic do the repairs too. Let us know how things turn out.

458 is a great car BTW!

up4speed likes this.
  11. BabyFerrari

BabyFerrari Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    anonymous
    battery would be #1 suspect, next is the PCV connectors int he engine bay but you will have stored codes.

up4speed likes this.
  12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes. a few times now. as stated above, it was due to the battery or a low charge. i just charged the car up and it was fine. next time don't let it sit so long!

up4speed and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  13. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It is impossible to own a Ferrari and not see a check engine light at some point....

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I figured I would update this old thread. Regarding my car giving me an erroneous "secondary Air Pump Low Flow" CEL error, it wasn't a one time event. It started happening more and more frequently. It was just luck that it happened right after I did a tactical battery change!
    I replaced the passenger side exhaust air valve, and it's been perfect ever since.

15. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Can I just say that I find "catalytic temperature implausible" to be a hilarious warning? How can a temperature be implausible?

16. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    What is implausible is a temperature below absolute zero. Absolute zero is the point at which the atoms of a substance transmit no thermal energy – they are completely at rest. It is zero degrees on the Kelvin scale, which translates to -273.15 degrees Celsius or -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. Since this is an Italian car, I would not be surprised if it mistakenly measured the temperature of your catalytic converter as being colder than -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit, and then determined that such a temperature is implausible. What's even more implausible is to imagine that Ferrari electronics would be smart enough to know that a temperature below absolute zero is implausible. Ha!

axlesofevil likes this.
  17. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Exactly ,,,,,,, I just ignore ALL CEL's and just keep driving.

18. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    It's funny that's actually what I was thinking too. Is it below absolute zero? Is it an imaginary number? Does it have a letter in it?

Catalytic temperature is -1,3Q6i° C. Now that's implausible!

19. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    What they mean by implausible is in relation to the engine management software limits, usually set by emissions regs. As an example the cats temperature has to be below a certain temperature so as not to destroy itself by heat. If an O2 sensor reads a temp to high according to the engine management software, ie; A/F being to lean raises the exhaust gas temp and trips the message. implausible = cat to hot for software parameters. In my Ferrari experience with warning lights and massages; turn off engine, restart and if the message goes away, don’t worry about it. IF it comes back on right away then there is something to be concerned about.