488 - Would you extend a ‘17 488? | FerrariChat

488 Would you extend a ‘17 488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AD211, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Having come from an early gen Cali I’ve easily had my arm twisted to buy the New Power Warranty each year. Now, going into this single owner 2100 mi 488, I’m being offered (of course!) to extend the factory warranty for 2 years for $10k from FFL. I’m leaning to a ‘no thanks’ on that. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i stopped extending. i believe there are several threads on this where a few members ran calculations based on what is paid versus how often they are used. the synopsis was that extended warranties are not worth it

sampelligrino and SoCal to az like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I want a warranty for this first year of ownership of any used car. Then I try and stress test the car that first year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

sampelligrino and IloveGT like this.
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    you can get it for 9k.

no right or wrong answer. It comes down to your personal level of risk taking/aversion and your reserve of fixing something big.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    This purely IMO I would because these 2 years are a full factory warrantee , everything is covered. Frankly I will do the same next year as mine is a 2018 .

However these cars should have 7 year warrantees by now. Look at the rest of the markets **** even a Hyundai has 7 years.

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Would not extend. 458 and later are very reliable cars. Even if things do go wrong, the payout would have to exceed $10K for it to be work it. Even if you had a transmission failure (which is extremely rare), you are still only going to be net -$10K or so.

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    for both my 458 and FF, I have both 2 years extended warranty, never got to use it

9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    There have been many discussions.
    This poll may help you understand the implications and make the decision that works for you.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/a-poll-to-decide-if-a-warranty-is-worth-it.588663/

10. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
  11. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    I got an extension my my '18 488. At the time of purchase, the dealer charged me $5000 for 2 additional years and they are transferable to another owner. I thought it was worth an investment especially if I decide to sell my car in near future.

Mighty Joe likes this.
  12. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I’ve spoken with 3 service managers at popular F dealerships across the country and they all strongly recommended it and all quoted $10k. “An oil leak resulting in an engine out repair would easily pay for it”. I wouldn’t expect them to not recommend it frankly but sentiment here sounds like it’s a waste. Curious as to the different prices though: $10k, $9k, $5k, not to mention if there are 488 oil leak issues.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  13. viperf430

viperf430 Rookie

Feb 12, 2015
    Orlando FL
    I got one on my 2014 458 for 2 years but it was only around $5,000 $10k seems very high

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    The reason you are getting different prices is because there are two different warranty being discussed....

Warranty Extension is literally an extension of the original factory warranty. This option may be purchased before the factory warranty expires.

New Power Warranty is a limited coverage warranty that can be purchased year to year. This may be purchased from the 4th year to 15th year

V8 Pricing:

$4.500 One year of New Power Warranty **
    $6,300 4th year Warranty Extension
    $9,900 4th & 5th year Warranty Extension

** IF , a Ferrari is purchased through a Ferrari Dealership as CPO, there is a special where the buyer would get 2 years of New Power Warranty for the price of one.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Texas2step, BLAMPEE and flifer like this.
  15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ferrari sales managers recommending a 10k purchase? You don’t say. Never would have expected that! :)

Them recommending it should tell you right there that you shouldn’t buy it. Lol

Dicecal, obbob, BLAMPEE and 1 other person like this.
  16. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Valuable info.

BLAMPEE, SAFE4NOW and AD211 like this.
  17. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Peace of mind is nice to have. But, if you purchased through a dealer than $10K is way high. They usually offer 2 yrs for half that which is worth it imho. By the way...you'll love the 488... It Rocks!

18. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I own a 2016 and opted to purchase the extended two year warranty. I sleep better at night not having to worry about paying for repairs small or large. One year in I have had about $7000 of covered items repaired. Headliner was replaced, persistent check engine light diagnosed and corrected (this one took a couple of weeks of diagnosis). Broken front hood latch is currently being replaced. Maybe these items could have been repaired for less at another shop but personally I prefer only having my local Ferrari dealer touching my car.

Scott

19. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    Negotiate with the selling dealer to have them throw it into the deal. At least one year anyway.

20. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    There was a recent bulletin i was told....they are offering the factory extended 2yrs (not power) for 5k for two years..it was a no brainer for me..covers everything

21. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thank you for the replies everyone. I missed the renewal date by a few days to get the 2 yr factory extension for just under 9k. ‘Ruffinit’....if you can get a copy of that bulletin, I’d love to see it. Otherwise, I’m going to roll the dice and forgo the New Power Warranty as well. I did the NPW for 3 years with my ‘10 Cali which probably necessitated it more so than a ‘17 488.