488 Spider new owner | FerrariChat

488 Spider new owner

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gabf1, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Hi everyone,

just purchased a new to me spider with 1800 miles. I moved up from a 575M that I’ve had for the last 4.5 years and the difference is obviously day and night. My daily driver is my pickup or a 991.2 turbo s so I gues the P vs F compare and contrast is going to come up a bit for me.

First impression is WOW! Literally can’t believe I own the car. I loved my 575, but I found myself just not driving it. Everything seemed a little difficult with the car and so I’d pass it in the garage for something else. The steering is great and it does for me what a sports car should do plus it has a lot of creature comforts in it for me that make life easy. I have satellite radio and Bluetooth all set up and I like being able to switch it up with the top up and down.

Driving through the canyons in Malibu is fun and the ride is smooth, but I wouldn’t say soft. The turbo has a bumpier ride than the 488 which actually surprised me a bit, but hey, I’ll take it!

I brought the car in for the recall and they are doing a service and I’m purchasing a 1 year warranty too just for some piece of mind. We’ll see how it goes but I don’t think I will renew after that if all goes well.

Read a lot of comparisons in the 458 vs 488 camps and it boiled down to several key things for me: Performance, new technology, and current body style (at least for the moment) which I prefer. Looking forward to putting some miles on the car and getting to know it better!

Here are some pics of the new car. I’m not crazy about black wheels but my wife says keep them. Also the radio controls are a little finicky, but the SA told me that was fairly common and not to worry.

Looking forward to getting to know some of the 4558/488/F8 crowd here! Cheers!! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    A big congrats! Yours is a fine example of what a 488 Spider should be. You are blessed to be able to have such beautiful roads for a car like that. Wishing you many carefree, fun miles! P.S. it’s not against forum rules to post some top down pics!

gabf1 likes this.
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats! Enjoy!

gabf1 likes this.
  4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats!

gabf1 likes this.
  5. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Totally excited for you. I too just bought my first 488 Spider. I can not believe how cool these cars truly are. Have many safe and fun trips!

Mighty Joe, F2003-GA and gabf1 like this.
  6. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    Awesome spec! Congrats and enjoy!

gabf1 likes this.
  7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    congrats i recently purchased a 488 gtb in white love the car.enjoy in good health

Mighty Joe, ryalex and gabf1 like this.
  8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats! love the interior!

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Beautiful and classy spec!
    Congrats and enjoy, an amazing modern Ferrari!

gabf1 likes this.
  10. socialpro1

socialpro1 Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Many congrats. What a beautiful ride - and I'd 100% keep the black wheels. Malibu canyons are a great place to enjoy her!!

gabf1 likes this.
  11. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    i am tempted to go out tonight. Wife is watching tv and my son is doing some activity so I might venture out.

Also, I’m heading up to Sonoma in a couple of weeks and am very tempted to see what it’ll do. But I think I’ll chicken in that one. It’s a big track with walls lol.

12. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Thank you all for your kind compliments. One of the things that I have noticed that doesn’t pencil at all is the driver’s experience behind the wheel.

I mean I kinda knew this already. Performance on the track and going fast in general are always good things in my book. When I first got into going to the track, I read about all the new cars out there and a lot of people were talking about the Camaro ZL1 1LE. I bought one. 650HP/650FT Pounds. It was a monster. Fast everywhere. Track and street. But, in the end, it was a fun car but sat. I preferred my Porsche at the track. Faster and more exciting!

All that to say, just starting the 488 up is an experience. Top down. Top up. Either way, fun things are happening. Getting a bit of attention already. Unfortunately, it’s a sausage fest as far as that goes. Hoping that’ll change

At any rate, stats are one thing and important. But passion is a factor that is pretty hard to quantify. I actually set up a chair in the garage. It’s totally lame I know but I’m over the moon happy!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Magnificent. Best of luck.

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    LOL you will always take a second look as you leave the garage and go into the house. You cannot explain the intangibles of owning a Ferrari. It has to do with the story of Enzo and the history of racing.

Something about being a boy and always wanting to own one too.

Chizz, James R, sampelligrino and 3 others like this.
  15. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    +1 and it never gets old...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James R, Mighty Joe and gabf1 like this.
  16. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    That is so funny... and not lame at all... I know exactly what you are saying about the chair in the garage. I have totally rearranged my garage for my 488 and I literally go out there quite frequently just to "look" at it. What amazing vehicles. Here is a recent pic. I have epoxy floors, but I'm resurfacing them (hence the sanded areas) because of some glaring imperfections that it had.

Afonsolaw, ryalex, Mighty Joe and 2 others like this.
  17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Chizz, Afonsolaw, Way2fast and 5 others like this.
  18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    love it

19. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Beautiful color. I almost went with nerd. Garage looks amazing!!

James R likes this.
  20. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Really like those wheels!! Part of me wants to get a set for the car.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  21. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

James , looks great next to the color coordinated Toro mower with the the matching diamond cut rims. :)

James R likes this.
  22. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    You like that too? :) I like the theme... What do you think about our cruiser bikes on the wall. My wife just had to have the basket... She looks cute riding it around the neighborhood. :)

gabf1 likes this.
  23. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Congrats on your new car! You're gonna Love it!
    OK...maybe I'm way biased here, but I think the 488 is the best looking modern Ferrari to date! I purchased mine back in February and this car just knocks me out.

Chizz, Afonsolaw, blkdiablo33 and 3 others like this.
  24. boeckhone@msn.com

May 4, 2017
    Wow. That’s perfect for me. I Have a Scud red 458 italia but I’m looking to add this exact spec ride to the garage. Just can’t give up the non-turbo of the italia I guess

25. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    Beautiful!
    I just picked up my 2017 488 Spider yesterday (7/15/2020) 2800 miles. I drove it home about 140 miles loved every minute of it!

Attached Files:

Mighty Joe, Chizz, Cigarzman and 5 others like this.