To swap CV joint ends or not? | FerrariChat

To swap CV joint ends or not?

Discussion in '308/328' started by kiwiokie, Jul 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    In the process of cleaning and repacking axle CV joints following Birdmans instructions. I have read on Porsche forums that people swap ends with the CV joints to even out wear. Keeping internals of joints together, so matched, but placing the whole joint on the opposite end of the axle. Any merit to this approach? Cheers, John

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am no expert, but I recently disassembled and rebuilt one of mine. They seem like such robust parts I can't imagine that they wear much compared to other parts. Additionally, the main point of wear would be the large balls and their races, which move in and out with the road surface. I doubt reversing the direction of rotation wouldn't affect the in and out wearing effect.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Let's start with a bit of reality/logical thinking. Millions of regular passenger cars use this same style of joint, and none of them have ever had their axles "swapped" to decrease wear. Millions of those same vehicles put more miles on in 5 years, than some of our cars ever have (or will ever)... and they're running just fine 10-15 yrs later with 6 figures on the odometer. Of course, many of those cars also have specific L/R axles of unequal length, so you couldn't swap them even if you wished. But the fact of reliability remains.

The failure I most often see with CV joints is a split boot, slinging grease - and deferring repair for so long that it damages the joint. Avoid that, and you'll be fine.

Milkshaker0007 and DMWC like this.
  4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Got it. Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa