Extended warranty | FerrariChat

Extended warranty

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 488 owner, Jul 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 488 owner

488 owner Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Not interested
    Just bought a 2016 488 gtb and I do not believe it has the extended warranty. If the factory warranty has elapsed, is there anyway to get an extended warranty or is it too late?

What are the options for the warranties? Do they limit the number of Km/Miles they are good for or are they time based? I plan on driving a lot and the car has already 20k km on it.

Finally, all else being even, I would choose not to go for the warranty unless it is a very good deal for someone who plans to drive a lot. My only worry is that Ferrari has a monopoly on servicing their cars and I feel like if I am not under warranty they can charge pretty much whatever they want if I have an issue. If I plan to put 100k km on the car over the next 10 years and it costs me 50k for a 10 year warranty, surely it will pay off, no?

2. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    It’s not to late to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its not too late but dont buy it. Waste of money and this has been beaten to death lately.

4. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    If your going to do the driving you say you are I think it’s a good investment
    These cars fail in a lot of ways
    Just go in any Ferrari dealership and look at what’s being fixed
    I’ve been there and have seen it first hand
    But it’s up to you
    Just go year by year
    2 years are usually a better deal

5. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I les you have a total lemon.....Find a verified good independent repair/service shop. I drive my 2010 F458 ~3500 miles a year....and not exactly gently. After 6 years my average cost of maint/repairs is $3200/yr including tires which are not cover by warranty along with several other maintenance items like TPMS sensors, battery’s etc. Your just paying someone else a profit.

SoCal to az and death1ord like this.
  6. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    You guys out there don’t realize how often power train components fail in these cars and won’t be happy with a 20,000 bill or more
    Just saying

7. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    #7 FFan5, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Ferrari doesn't sell warranties that lose money. Take a look at the quarterly earnings report. :-D
    I'm also positive someone won't buy a warranty and have to eat a $20k repair bill? But at $10k for a two year warranty, do I think every other car needs $20k in repairs. Nope. Now if Ferrari would add sticky buttons and falling headliners to the power warranty, then we'd be talking. ;-)

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Prove it. In the years I’ve been on this board, have never read about a power train failing.

9. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Let’s do some simple math. I have saved myself $30k so far over 6 years “self insuring” my power train. The relatively minor items that I have had to repair wouldn’t have been covered. I have been averaging 10%+ on my investments over the last 6 years with this “saved” money. So if I have a $20k hit I am still money ahead and had the “use” of the money.
    Also, the independent shop may actually repair a component or direct source it at a significant savings over the dealership.

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

All you are stating is your case. There are many that buy second hand cars and have issues day one. Next you will tell me insurance on your car is minimal because to prefer to take a risk that you will never claim or someone hit you. Insurance is piece of mind and with regards to accident insurance mandatory in your country because even if its not your fault you still have to have cover.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This is sound logic as long as you don't pop an artery cashing out all those investments to pay for the big repair if it occurs. Human nature is to consider that part of your net worth so it will hurt just as much if you had to pay out a large repair bill. The better argument is that it is too unlikely to occur so not worth it.

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I considered my Fcar purchase an experiment. Even though it wasn’t new, I opted out of the extended warranty, and figured if the car really started acting out, I’d simply take my licks, sell it and move on. But in almost three years of ownership, I’ve not had any problems with my ‘13 Spider.

The car is driven frequently, well maintained, and driven in a spirited fashion but not beaten,

OTOH, I just bought a 2020 Ford dually and jumped on a 7 year extended warranty ($2,300). That truck has got so much **** in it, something’s bound to go wrong in that timeframe.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Lucky I guess, look above at another thread , split exhausted , cracked manifold day 1 IMO piece of mind especially if bought second hand

14. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I bought an FF with 48k miles on it. $7k for a 2-year factory warranty was a bargain. Would I keep paying $7k per year after that? Not sure, depends how the car does over the next 2 years.

15. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    My dealer threw the 2 year extended in as a part of my purchase agreement. I’ll probably continue to extend the warranty for piece of mind but may change my mind.