308 Waterpump Remove / Replacement | FerrariChat

308 Waterpump Remove / Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NYCFERRARIS, Jul 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    HI all, Searched extensively and could not find this particular info;

What is the gap between the back of the 308QV WP pulley and the face of the WP housing...

I removed my pulley w/o this measurement and now realize it is very impt. to have it line up with the drive pulley. Trial and error is not a good option since once on the shaft- the pulley is not "adjustable" in its movement and not the best or most fun idea to keep installing and removing the WP pulley. I could sort of guesstimate by visually lining it up but it is tight in there and I doubt I would get a proper measurement anyway.

The pulley did not leave a visible "mark" on the old shaft for me to measure either.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you assemble everything correctly, there will be an appropriate gap between the belt pulley and the front snout of the water pump.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The attached Service Bulletin 17-3 has a good cross-section drawing of the latest 308QV water pump and a prior iteration, but, as Mitchell said, there's nothing to adjust the position of the pulley nor the need to adjust its position (the maximum uncertainty in its final location due to the various mechanical tolerances is very small compared to what's needed).

Attached Files:

4. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Many thanks == I was worried if the pulley found itself in the wrong position on the WP shaft then the belt would be out of alignment -- relieved to learn (TY yelcab) the tolerance is not that critical -- Does the pulley just bottom out at approx the right place -- ( essentially over the half moon key)? (The Service Bulletin was especially interesting as well - thank you for sharing that.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The end of the pulley is pushed up against the face of the bearing inner race and the nut keeps it there. The bearing is pushed up against the inside edge of the water pump housing and it cannot go in any further. So as long as you assemble it right, there is enough clearance for it to work.

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    yelcab - great explanation - that makes a lot of sense -- I am working myself up into a bad case of "overthinking" with all this.