Is it time for gun control in Washington? | Page 143 | FerrariChat

Is it time for gun control in Washington?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Geez your lack of historical knowledge is disturbing.
    Howard did say during one term there would be no GST (during that term), then it was his foremost policy platform at the next election. An election he won.
    The stamp duty thing is a state government issue. They were supposed to abolish it, but they didn’t.

2. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Because we had wall to wall labour state governments. The deal was, the states get the gst as long as they abolished stamp duty. Not only did they not abolish it, they increased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve355F1 likes this.
  3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Then who GAVE them the GST ?

4. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Sorry mate, I don't understand your question?

5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    It's Moretti...did you REALLY think you'd understand.

6. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Olio.
    Mate, I'm sure JM knows a lot more about politics than I do. I tend to cherry pick what suits me, so I'm always welcoming to opposing views. I certainly don't pretend to be an authority on it!

7. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I thought everyone on the internet was an authority on everything???:(:(

Maranello550 likes this.
  8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, if the states were only going to get the GST "IF" they removed stamp duty and they didn't, why did they get it , and who gave it to them when they didn't ?

I've always suspected skull-duggery and collusion between the parties so they could shear the sheeple

Check this SD calculator out on a $500,000 and see who is getting skimmed the most :

https://stampduty.calculatorsaustralia.com.au/

QLD, a Labor state , is the lowest by a bull's roar

BTW here are the state premiers during Howard's term in office :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mostly BLUE ..... but the RED sea turned up during it just continuing the good work their BLUE brothers did shearing the sheople with stamp duty

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I only lived it mate, was never happy with anyone in power as they are all too short-sighted ....... we need longer terms so the politicians can stop focusing on getting re-elected and doing something positive for the country.

Menzies did well up to a point for the country and he had many years in power, Hawke similarly (although my dad reckoned he wasn't a Labor person :eek: .. trade unionist dad !!!!)

Howard did some things during the East Timor conflict that I was personally involved in that made me despise him but the gun laws were a genuine positive

10. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Interesting graph. I'm not privvy to the inside of parliamentary rooms, but it's what I read when it happened. In any case, there's no Right or Wrong when it comes to politics, just each individuals choice pertaining to their particular situation. My situation dictates I vote conservative because it serves me better to do so. If I was a government employee, or a member of a union, or a multitude of other things, I'd vote Labour because it would suit me to do so.
    As for Stamp Duty itself, it can GET FUCHSED.

11. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Well, THAT is true. Any time we've had stable long term government, I think we've come out the other end in better shape. I did well under a long term Labour gov. with Hawke and Keating, but I did better under a long term Liberal gov. under Howard.

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Hoogle has made everyone an expert :rolleyes:

I preferred the times when we could all BS and nobody could prove different ..... on the spot :)

Unfortunately while in the RAAF there was a time when the F-111s needed a de-seal/re-seal on the fuel tanks (the aircraft was a flying fuel tank) and they had the airframe/engine fitters doing this and they were using massive amounts of chemicals with water picks to get the old sealant off.

These chemicals were all carcinogenic , no internet but libraries was where you got info back then, so when they ran out of airframe/engine fitters to do the job (for an extra 10c per hour ) they asked the queer trades (instrument/electrical/radio) if they wanted to do it.

I went to the library and checked up on these chemicals and found them to be carcinogens so declined, and when I informed the other boys they declined as well (when they realised what a carcinogen was :p) ...... needless to say I was not popular but I can tell you that in the long run those guys will be thanking their lucky stars they never did it because there was a class action taken out :

https://www.smh.com.au/national/f-111-workers-drop-class-action-20070411-gdpvxl.html

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/ex-workers-withdraw-f-111-class-action-20070411-ge8k2e.html

The govt delayed these actions hoping most of the seriously ill would drop dead

The govt also did the same to sailors that were involved in the Melbourne/Voyager :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne%E2%80%93Voyager_collision

I worked with a couple of guys who were on the Voyager and suffered PTSD (I never believed in this rubbish until these guys) and took the govt to court ...... not sure if they ever got anything but knowing our govt I doubt it

13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I think we ALL do well when the govt is stable and long term and totally understand business people voting LIB, I've voted LIB, but also LAB, but then I have the luxury of being able to do so, the poor or minorities "think" by voting LAB they will get a better deal but it's never happened yet.

I am very upset at both LIB/LAB for their allowing CCP influence into Australia, LAB more so than LIB.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/gladys-liu-s-beijing-confession-deepens-dispute-over-loyalty-20190911-p52qec.html

https://www.afr.com/politics/sam-dastyari-is-a-chinese-agent-of-influence-exintelligence-chief-20171203-gzxktb

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/nsw-mp-s-sydney-home-raided-as-asio-probes-china-links-20200626-p556f6.html

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=TAWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnation%2Fpolitics%2Fdaniel-andrews-staffer-nancy-yang-did-chinese-communist-propaganda-course%2Fnews-story%2Feb49801365855bda4904c1a25a85650d&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium

LAB is terrible in their dealings with the CCP, the LIBs are beginners in comparison

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    How much dealing would Australia even have with CCP if it wasn’t all about money? Nothing to do with politics per se, just follow the money... start with the crooked visa agents and real estate agents, private ‘education’ and work your way up from there till you get to the real money like Gina Reinhart and her deal with her CCP iron ore clients to circumvent the restricted sale of a big chunk of Australia’s beef production.

15. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Not aimed at you personally Giz, but this is what just makes me sad about the world - does anyone give a flying fuch about the country? their neighbours? their kids? anything except money?

16. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's the money that allows us to care for our country, neighbours and kids

Privileged countries have the luxury to take swipes at people with money, the poor countries are just trying to survive

Gizzi likes this.
  17. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    There’s a middle ground somewhere.

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't find it .... I don't worship money but I can't live without it

Gizzi likes this.
  19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Amen to that.

20. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I understand and agree with you. Trouble is, in most cases you need money to take care of the country, neighbours, kids etc.
    Unfortunately, money is like air. It only really matters when you don't have any.

DMWC likes this.
  21. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Money isn't everything, but it's right up there with oxygen

22. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, even when - after the failure of a business - I was basically bankrupt, unemployed and living back at my mum's house I still voted Liberal, for the simple reason that I believed that was what was best for the country. If I was only worried about myself I would have certainly voted Labor, but I didn't.

Then - at 30 years old - I got a job delivering pizzas for Dominos and stacking shelves at Woolies while I studied for the ATPL (which is these days a uni degree). I still never considered voting Labor because I follow my principles and what I believe in, regardless of whether it is best for me or not.

The idea that only Labor voters care about anyone else (or the country) and Liberal voters are all selfish ****s is laughable.

23. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I never mentioned any partisan politics - self-interest is a problem across the spectrum. And yes, everyone needs money but we still haven’t broken out of the idiotic ‘greed is good’ mindset if the 80s. That’s where the problem is. Plenty of ethical rich folk in this country, but still a minority.

24. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No bias there!!!

OLIO