Dino Trunk Carpet and what was underneath originally | FerrariChat

Dino Trunk Carpet and what was underneath originally

Discussion in '206/246' started by dman550, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Hello All,

I am at the final stages of my 71 #1624 Dino refresh. I am now finishing up the trunk and wanted to know once and for all what was under the carpeting. When I got the car underneath the what was left of the carpeting was a piece of white styrofoam on either side covering the holes that go down towards the wheel wells. anyone know if this was original?

Also I want to personally thank OMGJON and ROB C. for all their help in getting my car to this point. The info they have provided really made a huge difference on getting the details right.

Thanks,

Dario
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks BEAUTIFUL!:):):)

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Not sure about your year but the later cars had basically tar paper under the carpets. I cut fresh tar paper to shape and left it out in the sun for a few weeks to dry out and get rid of the tackiness. Looks like the original and worked great.

synchro likes this.
  4. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Yes that I have been told. But I remember a discussion years ago that early cars may of had something other than the tar paper.

5. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Looking good !!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Hi Dario,
    First of all, you have a beautiful car. And yes, OMGJON and Rob C are great guys. I have had the honor and pleasure of meeting them both.

I don’t know if this will help as you have a non USA GT and I have a 1972 USA GTS. I have included pictures of my trunk. First with the original carpeting in and then with carpeting out showing the original Styrofoam in all three sections of the trunk. My stryofoam is certainly beaten up, but what do expect from 48 year old Styrofoam :)? Notice the Styrofoam on the left has a diagonal cut for the jack to fit in. I measured the Styrofoam thickness and it is about 6 mm. (7/32 in.) I included a picture of the caliper so you could double check me.

As long as you are interested in authenticity, and as long as I was in the trunk taking pictures, I thought I would include a picture of the original number on the rear firewall. The number is in better condition than the Styrofoam. It matches the number on the trunk hinges. If you have numbered trunk hinges, maybe you could get someone to write the hinge number on your firewall in Italian :).

I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Last picture wouldn't send so I am trying again.

Attached Files:

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Do I see correctly that the emergency pull handle has a white sheath to it?
    Thank you
    Scott

9. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Hi Scott,
    Great observation! But it's not a white sheath. It's a black sheath that has been worn whitish (on one side) over the last 48 years by the underside of the firewall carpet. The side against the firewall has remained black. I have tried to show the two sides of the sheath in the pictures.
    I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

10. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006