Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 48 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    only secured if you sell, if you are selling now, why didn't you sell anywhere the 100 times before this? :D :D :D

ChipG and paulchua like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How much did you put in and buy at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Natkingcolebasket69

I wouldn’t tease Robb , Jerry and others have made fools of anyone doubting the return on the investment

paulchua likes this.
  4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Totally true. I haven’t held as long as Jerry tbh, so he’s a true visionary. I went balls deep on tsla only during the pandemic.

My capital for stocks was $120K. Largest chunk of purchase happened in the $3-400 range, which I shared on my Instagram and got laughed at / mocked by a handful of followers, but I think they unfollowed me on their own over the course of my regular sharing of growth in the past few months...

I also bought NIO, SQ and NFLX.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Good for u! Way to go!

freshmeat likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Almost $1,700, your getting close to a 10X call my friend.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's funny to me.

Somebody says invest in (____fill in the blank____) at $200. Then folks trash and bash that somebody.
    Today that (____fill in the blank____) is almost $1,700+ equaling a 43% annualized return.

Instead of giving credit where credit is due, folks now 'move the goalposts' - oh, that's "for now" it will go out of business soon.

That's sort of like somebody that says their favorite team will win the championship this year, folks trash em' then when they win the championship - those same folks then now say, well, they won't win next year...

hahaha

Eat crow and move on. Don't try to hide the fact that you were 100% wrong.

JERRYZ and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Natkingcolebasket69 and paulchua like this.
  9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Captain Obvious lol. FYI it was a market-wide pullback...

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1185 paulchua, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    True, Musk founded X.com - which merged with Confinity. Which became PayPal - it's all public knowledge. True, he was ousted as CEO by Theil, but so was Jobs at Apple. Doesn't mean Jobs didn't start Apple (with Wozniak) anymore then Musk didn't co-found PayPal. My wife worked at Paypal for 5 years, trust me, they officially list him as a "co-founder."
    I never claimed he invented space travel, but what he did accomplish the following:
    • First privately funded liquid-propellant rocket to reach orbit
    • First private company to successfully launch, orbit, and recover a spacecraft
    • First private company to send a spacecraft to deliver cargo to the International Space Station
    • First propulsive landing for an orbital rocket
    • First reuse of an orbital rocket
    • First private company to launch an object into orbit around the Sun
    • First private company to send astronauts to the International Space Station
    Hey, if you don't want to think any of this is amazing - you're a tough guy to impress.
    Never said Musk is fast nor the tunnel digging is amazing in of itself. This is simply the first step for eventual hyperloop, which the same way folks said nothing new about electric cars, rockets, electronic payments. I'm not the only advocate, Richard Branson started the Hyperloop project himself.
    Wow, Teslas are horsehit? Hmm let's assume for a moment you're 100% right, Teslas are garbage, the 1 million owners are all wrong. You really think that electric is not the future? Say in 50 years?

:)

You do know electric cars are faster their respective class in acceleration?

I know you love ICE, but regardless of environmental issues, you're advocating for the cassette, renting videos at blockbuster, record shops, and photo film.

Change can be scary and threatening. But it's here, and it's only going to grow.

Tesla will at worst be acquired by another company as every auto manufacturer is rushing to go electric. Space X will continue to provide launch service to governments and private companies alike, and even if Boring company is a complete failure. Having Paypal, Tesla, SpaceX on your resume is nothing to be ashamed of.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Electric cars are not new, indeed, selling a million of them during this century is the accomplishment that in of itself. Truth be told I was a skeptic at first. If you truly believe Tesla is not the reason why the next Ford Mustang is 100% electric, all I can say is I believe history will be on my side and credit Musk and Tesla as the main advocate and protagonist that ushered in electric cars. The same way IBM is widely credited as ushering in the personal computer.

As far as why other car makers didn't go electric before? It's expensive, it will require a ton of investment (read: lose money) - will most likely fail.

All the reasons which make Musk's accomplishment all the more impressive. People seem to have a personal grudge against Tesla and Musk, I truly don't know why.

You do know Tesla recently posted its first annual profit?

JERRYZ and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Because he is seen as killing the traditional car industry.
    Is that not a good reason ?

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Selling a million cars is an accomplishment. But making some money with them would be a bigger one. Glad that they´re making some at last.

Personally I have nothing against electric cars, I´d like to own one. But so far they still can´t replace petrol in all applications and I can´t afford to have so many cars. Of course there are rednecks that are always against everything, but I guess many folks just don´t like that EVs are being put down their throats. And Musk is one of those smart-asses that says that you´re a dinosaur if you can´t afford a 40,000€ car that can´t do 500 km without fear of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Picchu88 and william like this.
  14. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Great! When does he start paying we, the people, back?

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think you reflect perfectly the thoughts of many folks about EVs.

I am convinced there is more future in hybrid vehicles than in pure EVs.
    The reason is charging infrastructure.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Same time I guess GM, or since this is Ferrarichat, Fiat pays back their government subsidies.

Regardless, already addressed this in a previous post:

JERRYZ and Jaguar36 like this.
  17. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I thought he was a leader, not a follower?

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Whether Musk is a leader or not has nothing to do with him seeing the government offer free money, and taking it.

I remember when I was a teenager after my friend's father sold his company for 25.1 million, I asked him if he could give me one piece of advice, what would it be?

He said, "Paul - don't ever trust a person that willingly leaves money on the table."

I would trust Musk with my finances over a person that 'leaves the money on the table.'

If governments hand out cash and somebody takes it, do I blame the person who has the audacity to take it or the government?

Some folks here seem to object to a person picking up free money. Lodge your complaint with Uncle Sam, not with the people that take him up on his offer.

JERRYZ and moretti like this.
  19. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I do have a major problem with politicians giving the money under such crappy terms.

I have no problem whatsoever with him taking the money at the best terms he can get.

I do, however, have a problem with him taking the money and then building himself up as some kind of self-made entrepreneur. It's the business equivalent of the asterisk on a home run record set during the steroid era, and it absolutely, irrevocably diminishes his accomplishments.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Even though my family has both ICE and Teslas, I still prefer ICE for pure driving enjoyment. Sure, our Model S (in Ludicrous) can destroy most Ferrari on any stoplight in America for a fraction of the cost. However, I still take out my Ferrari for pure driving enjoyment, especially if I'm on track.

I also share your disdain for enviro-fascists and folks that have been 'forcing' their agenda down folks throat. Indeed, I have much distaste for this cohort. No doubt, Musk is biased, I think he'll be the first to admit it. He would be the first to say his view, of course, is to be 'all in' his company.

My cynical side says it is a pure financial self-gain motive, that he couldn't care less about Gaia; actually, I would bet this thought if I had to guess his inner workings.

I don't understand that besides the government subsidies (addressed this in the above post), what does it matter what he does?

Musk doesn't stop or prevent me from buying any car (I have) if I don't like electric vehicles.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Indeed! I am fortunate to live near the Larz Anderson Auto Museum. Decades ago when I first visited the museum I was astounded that there was an electric vehicle back in 1905!

This vehicle is part of their permanent display -

https://larzanderson.org/history/the-collection/1905-electromobile/

paulchua likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, it's only the second inning. So far all I know is he's a billionaire and I'm not. You might be absolutely right. Companies rise and fall. Tesla may eventually fail. I don't know the future, I'm not invested in them personally. However, I do think what he's been able to accomplish with Paypal, Tesla so far (I was an early skeptic), and Space X has been amazing. For some, it's no big deal. That's fine. I do believe history will see him as sort of a Howard Hughes type, if not - hey - no skin off my back. I'm not related to the guy, so I'm not trying to legacy build. haha

JERRYZ and JJ like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    When it comes to sheer fun, (especially on track) - I prefer ICE. However, I do see the writing on the wall with environmental regulations, cheaper maintenance of electric cars, and the sheer performance madness. I do think it will be cheaper eventually then ICE. When that happens, it will be a no brainer. I do also believe because of said governmental rules - it will be inevitable whether we like it or not.

Best to you all.

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    @JERRYZ Perhaps the biggest earnings moment yet for TSLA in 2 days...my hands are already shivering...

JERRYZ likes this.
  25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    OMG OMG OMG @JERRYZ WE WIN, WE WIN!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

JERRYZ likes this.