Mileage anxiety | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mileage anxiety

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CoreyNJ, Jun 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    +/-30 years ago I became 2nd owner of a quite rare (1049 made with less than 100 known existing back then), almost 35 year old, but well maintained & preserved (1 owner & always in SoCal) vintage car, for which I paid nearly twice as much what others (“the market”?) considered it being worth.

Drove/enjoyed it for 20 years, accumulating +/-70K miles and eventually sold it (didn’t want, but had to) for full asking price of 4x* the money than I had paid for it to first guy responding to my ad and he was ecstatic (BTW, he’s still the 3rd owner).
    Not once worried mileage accumulation and same goes with dozens of other classic/collectible/vintage cars I own or have owned in past 40+ years.

*Also about twice as much what “the market” at the time considered it being worth.

Texas Forever, ross and paulchua like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    We've all often heard this analogy. I think a slight modification would make it more apt.

"Like keeping your girlfriend/boyfriend a virgin for the next guy/girl."

IloveGT and TTR like this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I didn't buy the Ferrari to not drive it. I could have saved myself a ton of money by not buying a Ferrari, and still not driving one.

4. IslandLife

IslandLife Rookie

Feb 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    David Schirmer

5. IslandLife

IslandLife Rookie

Feb 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    David Schirmer
    Bought my second Ferrari, 2013 458 Spider, used, 16k miles, less than half original sticker, with intention to never sell. I am aware of Ferrari world fear of mileage, but I drive it everywhere and accept depreciation as the cost of the joy that I have every time that start it up. It's paid for and its resale means little to me as I don't plan to sell, which makes driving mileage anxiety free. I've had a Ferrari mechanic call the 458 their Toyota because it doesn't break, they do better if you drive it. I actually look forward to the day that I post a pic of the odometer showing 100k, a rare Ferrari feat!

6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Good for you!

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Why not drive them all?
    On tombstone.
    : I didn't Drive my Ferrari :

ryalex and 3POINT8 like this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    There is a reason why cars have wheels - to move around from point a to point b. Ferrari is an art form only as a car to begin with.

Please drive your Ferrari.

9. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Mileage is of zero concern with any of my cars. I buy to enjoy, not have concern over the value based on mileage.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    It ain't a dress rehearsal.......

3POINT8 and ross like this.
  11. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I have a 2007 F430 that I bought in March with 11,200 miles. Today it has 13,998. I bought it to drive. No regrets, and a new set of tires is on the way already

Fly fast and take chances

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I always tried to use tire wear as a good indicator to ensure my “leisure/pleasure” cars get enough exercise/use, i.e. every new set of tires should get replaced due to being worn out before they’re past due their safe-to-use date (5-6 years max on common type and +/-3 years on high performance/-speed type tires).
    To me, anything less seems like a waste of, not only tires along with insurance, registration fees, storage space, etc, but great car(s) and (driving) pleasures they’re intended & I have them for.

ClarkW and Texas Forever like this.
  13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Ignore the mileage. Seems people want 5000 miles or less. My 3 Pedal 575 has 30k on it. I will drive it without concern. I buy my cars to drive. Life is too short. However, do whatever brings you joy :)

14. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    So I have found a way to remove anxiety with putting miles on my f12.

I just put the odometer to the trip computer so I never have more than 999 miles at any time-lol.

I drive it to work everyday and whenever I can if I am not meeting clients. If you ask how many miles I ha e out since haveing the car 9 months ago. No idea. I will k ow when I go for annual service or upgrade!

SingleClutch, Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I dont have mileage anxiety. The only two anxiety I have are valet parking and battery.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    My entry level 308 allows me to have another core motor to mess with while I drive my car past 50k miles. Miles on my Porsche is of no concern to most of my Porsche friends. While I’d love to someday own a vehicle of significant collector quality , I’ll live my life driving what I own and enjoying the company of my fellow driving enthusiasts.

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Only “anxiety” (if it can be called that) I have or get with my “leisure/pleasure” cars is when they sit too long without being driven.
    Just this morning took my Roadster for another great 100+ mile exercise, which included couple of spirited back-n-forth jaunts in the Ortega Hwy canyon. :)

Texas Forever and Thecadster like this.
  18. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I bought my car to drive and intend to and basically treat the purchase price as a sunk cost. I don’t let for one moment resale value impact me in deciding to drive it or not.
    I would suggest if you are that sensitive to resale impact then perhaps look at a different type of vehicle than a super car as I think it is well established that aside the TDF’s and their ilk all are going to lose value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #69 AlfistaPortoghese, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2020
    My only anxiety driving my 458: police speed traps.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Thecadster, SingleClutch and IloveGT like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't think mileage anxiety is a curable disease. You either have it or you don't. Way too much is posted about delivery miles and ultra perfect condition. Heck there are sponsors here that sell Enzo's with delivery miles. As long as they cost a ton to buy a lot of owners will be counting depreciation by mile. It's irrational but seldom curable IMHO.

There was a guy years ago that was the greatest 599GTO advocate in the world. As soon as they started to rise in value it went in the garage on display. Shortly after it was for sale. And to listen to how great it drives and how superior it was to everything out there it was somewhat surprising to see the turn around.

21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I have 21,000 on my 458 and 49,000 on the 550 when I sold it. I don’t depend on cars to make money. Glad I don’t because most will not. Driving is the best money spent or in most cases lost.

bml71 likes this.
  22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #72 ryalex, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    355 spider: 17k mi in first three years, then
    458: 10k mi in ~13 mos. And I haven't even done a road trip in it yet!

Less than 500mi on the 355 after buying the 458.
    My dream was to daily drive Ferraris... And I'm the opposite I suppose, I'm always feeling like I have to wring every moment of experience out of this because life is too short. Especially having several friends die at 38-40 recently. Too short NOT to put the miles on.*

Another thought is that I was so pent up to get a Ferrari from 20 to 36, with so many setbacks and the recession and 4 kids that when it finally came through it was super catharsis. I drove the 355 nonstop for months.

* This is why I absolutely do not understand these 2,500 mile per year exotic leases. Unless you go in planning to pay overage it seems wrong.

23. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Enjoy the car .. My 599 is on 42K miles and is considered a high mileage example at 3.5k miles a year. Ridiculous.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great. What has been your experience with repairs?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    3.5k miles per year being considered high is ridiculous. I want to drive my car because it gives me enjoyment that an extra 40-50k in cash from a low mileage to high mileage resale or whatever it ends up being if i didn't drive my car would not. I make money in other ways and enjoying my car is a way i choose to spend it.

ClarkW and Texas Forever like this.