Wiring Diagram Question | FerrariChat

Wiring Diagram Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by EastMemphis, Jul 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been reading with great interest the wiring diagrams for the 360. I'm a bit confused by this box:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

What does S4A in this diagram mean? What does it physically look like? What does an "internal cable multiplexing" thingy do?

Thanks!

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    S4A is a multiply point of connection for all wires in the S4A box. It can be a wire connected at some point in the harness. It is not a specific connection. It is only a reference of all of the wires that connect to that ground circuit. One of the wires should lead you to the actual ground connection on the chassis. N is the color, black. hope that helps. I hate those wiring books.

Qavion and EastMemphis like this.
  3. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As Merlin said. Unfortunately, the electrical documentation for the 360 does not provide the locations of most of these multiple connection points, consequently, it is quite difficult to find them if you are searching for a wiring fault or failure.

Moreover, but for the pin-out diagrams for the connectors and wire colors, one is left to diagramming his own wiring schematics.

At times it is maddening.

In addition, there are connectors and cabling not specified in the Ferrari diagrams. As an example, for the so-called "HiFi option" to the 360, the connector to the ASK booster (in an enclosure under the dash) and its cabling are not specified in the wiring documentation.

You are welcome to ask me how I know.

whatheheck and EastMemphis like this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is an expanded Section L for the 360 with many more pages than contained in the WSM.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Terry:

I have three versions of the WSM for various models of the 360, and I do not have anything like what you have suggested. Where do I find this expanded Section L?

Thanks.

MCASEY likes this.
  6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I can e-mail it to you. Only about 4 Mb. There is a thread with this Section L mentioned in the 360/F430 forum and I have sent it to quite a few owners. Same thing exists for many Ferraris, but I only have the 360 and 456M expanded Section Ls. Some of the pros have many more.

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The problem I have with Ferrari cables / electrical harness is their cable connector ends are not marked so they are not easy to find or determine if that is the correct connector you are looking for.

I'm an electrical engineer for a major airplane maker. Each of our cables are marked with cable part numbers & end connectors are clearly marked. Ex: "D4566P M/W (mates with) D4566J".

I know have a 2016 Cali T, just bought a copy of the Wiring Diagram Manual to upgrade the stereo system. The wiring diagram shows connectors numbers & approximate location in the car but the cables installed in the car have no identifying markings so it's very difficult to search for the connectors as I can only go by matching the number of connector contacts to ensure i have the right one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Qavion likes this.
  9. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Welcome to the world of Ferrari, it is like that all the time with these cars.

EastMemphis, brian.s and whatheheck like this.
  10. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello Terry:

A member has provided me with some updated info that I will review. Thank you for your offer.

BTW, how are you doing getting the car up the driveway?

Regards,

Jim

11. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello Dan:

I am an EE as well, and my work experience includes some extensive cabling that mandated the proper marking of cables, connectors, and of course, accurate documentation.

I am at a loss to understand why Ferrari did not include schematics in the workshop manuals. It was always my routine when I purchased a vehicle to get the shop manual from the manufacturer, and I do not recall any time when there were not electrical schematics included.

As for recent work on my Modena to fix (!!!) the stereo, it was necessary to ring out a number of connectors for their matching downstream/upstream counterparts. I recall reading your treatise on your own stereo upgrade work, and it aided me to get my bearings on the task that lay ahead.

I trust your mods to the Cali will go a bit smoother than prior experience.

Best of luck.

Jim

whatheheck likes this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- She is still in Albuquerque waiting for delivery and installation of Fabio's 6-1 exhaust. Aaron and John will do that job.

13. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Terry:

I have no doubt the Bedford boys will meet your expectations. I was quite satisfied with the work they performed on my vehicle. Thank you for the recommendation.

I trust you will get your vehicle in time for some nice fall driving (and maybe some fishing).

Jim

14. MCASEY

MCASEY Rookie

Apr 1, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Sir,
    If possible could I please have a e copy of the "L" section of the wsm. [email protected]
    Thank you in advance.
    Matthew Casey.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for chiming in Jim & hello to another EE!

Same here, how can a very reputable high end car maker not mark their cables to help not only their customers but their own factory workers easily determine which connector is which???????????? I'm at a loss. No logical explanation I can think of. And it is so easy to do.
    So I just mark the connectors myself as I come across them to make it easier for the next owner.

Im currently upgrading the stereo system on my 2016 Cali T.
    As I posted I have the HiFi High Power Option and that too sounds like crap.

I am in my garage & currently replacing the rear speakers.
    I installed Audison AP4 4" midrange and 1.1: Audison Voce AV 1.1 tweeters and the sound improvement by just replacing the rear speakers alone is huge.

I started with the rear speakers as they are the easiest to replace.

Next I will be replacing the front door woofers and tweeters also with Audison speaker drivers.
    The most difficult to replace are the dash speakers. I have tried popping the speaker grills and they just wont budge.
    I may end of just breaking the grill tabs and just but new ones.................

Then I will be installing an Audison Prima AP 8.9 bit eight channel DSP Amp.
    I chose the AP8.9 bit as I want to retain the stock head unit.

The AP8.9 DSP 8 channel amp will clean up / de EQ the head unit audio output, then amplify it & I will then have complete control of each channel's crossover, EQ, slope, volume, etc.

Baby steps.

As always, I will share here my projects hoping to help others.

Dan

16. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Hello Fchat friends, I've got a 360 Modena and was replacing the old 'Buick-esque' horns with air horns. When I removed the front bumper cover, I noticed the front harness section that runs below the inner bumper area across the nose of the vehicle had a section missing its wire wrap.

Clearly the bumper has been removed as someone had installed (very neatly) radar receivers in each grill area. Possibly in so doing, they mashed this area of wiring and a yellow wire was stressed and severed. I have attempted searching wiring diagrams unsuccessfully and merely wanted to pose to you folks what this may be.

I cannot think of anything on my car that wasn't working, other than perhaps the glove box light. I reconnected this yellow wire (small gauge) and my light still doesn't work but that is likely a separate issue. Does anyone know what this yellow wire operates?

There are two yellow wires side-by-side which makes it a little hard to tell. And I noticed the red/white abraded one and corrected that as well.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #17 Qavion, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    AHudson likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The violet wires could be horn wires. The yellow wires could be related to sidelights (LHS).

The white red (BR) wire I could find at the front of the car is one which goes to the ABS module (1B), but that's behind the frunk.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is there a possibility that the white/red wire is a actually a grey/red (HR) wire? i.e. related to the windscreen washer pump? (22A). Does your washer pump work?

AHudson likes this.
  20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Man you are unbelievable! Thank you a ton for looking that up! It's the lower sub branch of the loom, closest to 19A, 21A in the first illustration. The exact location is right above 21A. This branch goes across the whole face of that area on the lower portion of the bumper/front trunk.

You are correct that my horn wires were indeed the white/violet w black as the ground pair. This query is about that thin yellow wire in the area described above. Thank you again!

Qavion and flash32 like this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The only yellow wires I can find are the sidelights (including the one on the side of the car). i.e. the ones that come on at the first detent of the light switch. There is a splice involved on the USA car because of the lights on the side of the car, but why the splice would be so far away from the two right hand lights, I don't know. Unfortunately, the 360 digrams don't give wire gauges, so thin/thick wires "do not compute" :p

Still can't find a white/red wire.

AHudson likes this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #22 Qavion, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    I see a yellow/black wire in your photo. That's probably related to the right hand fan (as would be a lot of the heavier gauge wires). There are no white/red wires relating to fans, though.

(EDIT) Actually, there is also a violet/white wire relating to the fan control.

23. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Thanks so much again. I've reconnected and shrinktubed the wire, covered with the corrugated plastic wrap most of us hate but is better (to me) than to poorly protecting wire wrap that had given way. But it's in the area shown with the yellow circle.

Also, the gauge and color of the wire perfectly matches the solid yellow that went to my passenger side marker light, so that now makes sense. I didn't even realize it wasn't working and the bulb was black, so it had a trauma at some point!

You may be able to note an unmated connector nearish the wire cover that I shoved behind the wires to keep it from dangling (21A in your diagram). That is, I believe for some marker that was for Canadian (?) versions but is unused in my USA car. Hope that's credible or I have another hunt on my hands.

Thanks for you valuable input!

Qavion likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not sure. Is that the plug with red, white and yellow (?) wires. I haven't been able to find any plugs with a similar configuration.

The Canadian version has connector 6A, but that's near the fuses/relays.