Rare Schumacher 550 Maranello | FerrariChat

Rare Schumacher 550 Maranello

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jackie and bill, Jul 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Thought you might be interested in this. Sorry if it's been posted, I have no doubt you will be falling over your selves to let me know if it has ;)
    Your welcome.

ShineKen and Patrik550 like this.
  2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #2 Auraraptor, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    550 Content starts at 7:34

I am pretty sure Schumacher-spec cars had the same brakes as standard 550s and were basically an options package around when Ferrari started offering options in cars. Prior to the late 90s Ferraris essentially came as is aside from color and one or two options (in contrast to Porsche). Nathan Beehl’s book on the 550/575 has a section on it.
    ....but hey if I am wrong then learn something new everyday.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, there is a thread on this already. Not sure about the video.

4. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    So this thread that was just about the video, and yet theres already a thread about it. But your not sure if the video is in that other thread? Is that correct? :D

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is already a thread about the "Schumacher 550", but I do not remember if that video was in it. Just a 550 with some of the Scaglietti options that came out in the 97/98 timeframe. Marketing.

6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Interesting.

7. Patrik550

Patrik550 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    Thanks for interesting video. FYI, I am the one Ralph refer to as "Ferrari Sweden". Photos of my car is in several threads. I too would be interested in knowing how many were made or if there are other owners with same spec within the F-chat community.

Jackie and bill likes this.
  8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Given what options were included in the package, unfortunately there would be no US-spec cars with it/all the options....we never got the leather-wrapped roll bar as an option here.

9. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I own a Maserati 3200 that is not specced according to Michael Schumacher but was the car Ferrari provided to him as a daily driver. Does that count too? :)

F456M likes this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Markus, you definitely have the fastest 3200 out there, that's for sure..

Auraraptor likes this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael was known to miss a shift once in a while in the olden days with 3 pedals. F1 really helped him out.

12. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    :)

Others say the car has just been driven by his wife Corinna and not by Michael itself...:D

F456M likes this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Marcus. )
    Hope you are having a good suammer. I would just say that the 3200 has so much CLASS. It ages just as good as a Maranello. I want one. Had one in 2007 for about a year. Grigio Alfieri metallic with black and grey interior and manual gearbox. It was the demo car of the Norwegian dealer and it took 2nd place in Gumball 3000. Believe it or not a 600 SEL took first!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

docapl likes this.
  14. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Wow, nice 3200!

Here some pics of my 3200 together with my 575M HGTC that I sold two years ago.

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso, Auraraptor and F456M like this.
  15. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    With the original design taillights they look fantastic! I had an early Cambiocorsa Coupe with a straight exhaust. Absolutely loved that car and miss it.

F456M and Auraraptor like this.
  16. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    nice, wonder how much he'd sell it for..

17. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Do you mean the 550 that was specced according to Michael Schumacher or my 3200 that was the car Ferrari provided to Michael as a DD?:)

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You have great taste Markus. I love the 512 TR.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Would love a 512 TR myself.

20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The 512 TR is my favorite Ferrari of all time but I would be lying if I claimed it drove better than a 575.

21. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks for a the nice compliments about my cars. I really feel blessed to own all these cars.

And sorry for hitchhiking this thread…

I was thinking about a 512 TR for more than 10 years. Did not have the money to buy it plus was fearing the maintenance costs. Than a good friend who owns more than 80 cars let me drive his Testarossa Monospecchio for a whole afternoon. This pulled the trigger. Next day I found a nice 512 TR on the internet, two days later I test drove it an addition 3 days later the car was parked in my garage.

A 550/575M is faster and better in any regards. The 512 TR feels a bit like a truck. Very heavy steering and only a fraction of the torque of the 575M engine. If you want to really accelerate, the 512 TR needs to be well above 4 000 rpm where in the 575M it nearly does not matter what revs you are driving at. My 575M also felt much stronger than my 458. But when you drive the 512 TR fast and above 4 000 rpm it really starts to “fly” and you can drive this car astonishingly fast.

Yesterday evening we were in the Swiss alp and did 3 very nice passes. I was there with my 458 spider together with 2 other 458, a 430 and a Testarossa. We let the Testarossa drive at the end but did not have to wait a second for him (it was a good driver too). Of course a 458 comes so fast out of corners that a Testarossa has no chance. But it is still a fast car in corners and my 512 TR feels more stable than my 458 in corners IMHO. And whereas the Testarossa has weak brakes, a 512 TR stops very well and has no problems to keep up with much more modern cars. This is on public roads. On a race track the situation would be quite different…

Although the 575M HGTC is a better car than a 512 TR, I sold the 575M to buy a 458… The 512 TR is just so special.

Still miss my 575M HGTC. And it still is for sale at the dealer where I bought my 458… Hmm…

Markus

Texas Forever, LVP488 and Auraraptor like this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- Never too late for an HGTC.

23. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    True, Terry!

After having my 3200 for 4 years, I sold it to the dealer. Was there for 6 years and he could not sell it until I bought it back. My 575M HGTC is now at the dealer for 2 years. Maybe I should wait some time and buy it also back… But I need to save some money first…

Auraraptor likes this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- Sounds like he is not much of a sales person, but lucky for you. That would be 2 years of free storage, maintenance and insurance on the HGTC.

Auraraptor likes this.
  25. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    :)

He did not even advertise it as a HGTC. If you don't look at the pics you would not know it is a HGTC. That's a really professional dealer... No clue why they don't sell more cars...