F12 gear failure | FerrariChat

F12 gear failure

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by DonF12, Jul 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    #1 DonF12, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Hi, drove my f12 Few months ago
    Gear failure light ups and engine control system. My transmission can only shift to 1357 gears only. After i restart the car for few minutes it works again no light, i just notice its hard to start. Anybody knows whats wrong

brought the car to service
    They told me it could be a sensor problem,
    It was there for few months they cant find the problem. They said it working ok.
    I got the car again last week. I drove it. After 30mins the gear failure lights up again. 1357 shift again. But after driving it striaght for few km. It works again, but light is still on. Tried to restart the car. I notice hard start again.

Called up service again they told me it could be the battery for replacment. Bec its been 6years already.

Anyone has the same experience?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I don't have an F12, but I can tell you that in pretty much all of Ferrari world, an old or undercharged battery is going to cause a host of problems. It's pretty universal. I would definitely change it just to see if anything changes.

forstephan likes this.
  3. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Thanks, i will try to change to the battery first

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Let us know. A lot of guys on here will replace their batteries every 2-4 years to be on the safe side, so if you have 6 years on a battery, it's definitely time for a replacement. My 360 lit up like a Christmas tree when my battery went a little low.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Sounds like it could be the speed sensor inside the gearbox ... in the California, the pre-2013 cars had a problem with the tie wraps (plastic clips) Getrag used inside the box to route the wiring, they would become brittle over time due to the heat inside the gearbox. This would abrade the shielding on the wiring, and cause speed sensor errors, and losing half the gears was a symptom. Getrag eventually upgraded the clips and the problem is not common at all on the 2015+ California T but not sure if/when that change would have been made to the F12 gearbox.

[​IMG]

tomc likes this.
  6. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Thanks, i hope it will be a easy fix without taking down the tranny.

7. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    #7 DonF12, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2020
    Yes, will update you guys. Should change battery first before doing the next step.

8. Yvan Bergeron

Yvan Bergeron Rookie

Mar 9, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Yvan Bergeron (Boucherville)
    I had the same problem on my California T and It was the transmission Heath sensor, $12k to fix.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant FerrariChat

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    my vote is battery. i had similar issues with my 458

10. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Seems like its a sensor replace or battery change. Cross my fingers which one, wil update on this.

11. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Thats sad if thats the cost for a sensor. Hope its just battery.

12. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Do hope so. Looking and will be ordering for a new battery first. Its was working fine. Notice the problem when battery started to drain fast even after battery tender being used.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Is this harness internal to the transmission and, if so, is there any fluid nearby? With all the heat cycling and vibration its kind of scary what nuanced failure might occur and at a $12k unexpected surprise. That's a lot of trouble for a chaffed wire inside a sealed box.

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Drive your cars more often, take continuous long drives of at least 30 minutes, attach correct battery tender when not in use for more than 2 days and try to provide some cooling draft to engine compartment and transmission housing once you park it at home. This is especially important if your area is very hot and the car cannot be driven at a proper pace. The DCT depends on good air flow for cooling while in use.

I actually run my leaf blower around the DCT and engine compartment (hood popped till engine cools) for a few minutes after every drive. I know my car doesn’t actually require this sort of treatment but all degradation of machinery is caused by heat so providing cooling after the fans stop when I park my car would seem to be a good idea.

tomc likes this.
  15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Those are wiring bundles Internal to the DCT. The DCT fluids are inside separate sealed housings for the gears and clutches, otherwise those fluids would not flow very well given all the irregular surfaces and crevices evident with the wiring and surrounding housing. Also, much more of the expensive fluids would be needed. The petroleum-based wiring materials may also degrade from exposure to the fluids. The lubricants and coolants must circulate efficiently and consistently in order to maintain reliable working temperatures. So the tie wraps are not cooled and as shown from experience, they heat-degrade, become rigid, damage the insulation coverings of some of the wires.

Solid State likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Awesome explanation. With so much to go wrong it is pretty astounding that these cars really have such good reliability when the productions runs are so low compared to industry. Something as simple as a resin wire tie can cause big trouble..

17. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    It was at the dealer for MONTHS and they didn’t think to change a 6 year old battery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    There are threads on here about the best battery for an F12 and its its not the OEM one.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  20. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
  21. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Yes, changed my speed sensor, hope it will out from service next week.

22. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Yes, changed my speed sensor, hope it will out from service next week.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. DenisF12

DenisF12 Rookie

Apr 1, 2023
    Full Name:
    Denis
    Hello, I have the same problem, I can't drive faster than 50 km/h and various error messages, including e Gear recovery. Error memory is empty. How much did the speed sensor replacement cost including parts and labour? Greetings Denis

24. Emirateshills575

Feb 1, 2023
    UAE
    Full Name:
    X
    I am 100% sure it's forks error, but better to change all sensors inside gearbox together: temperature sensor, pressure sensors (2), fork sensors (block). Plus gearbox oil and filter