First Ferrari! | FerrariChat

First Ferrari!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Hi guys,
    I recently bought an '87 3.2 -- my first (and probably last) Ferrari. Having read about the 3x8/Mondial Ferrraris for so many (30+) years, it was an odd experience finally to find myself behind the wheel of one. After hearing about how the steering and pedals were like exercise equipment I was pleasantly surprised to find how easy it is to drive around town. The steering is light (for non power assist) and the brakes are wonderfully firm. I thought the 1st-3rd cold shifts would be strained, and I was wondering if the motor would be flexible enough to lug around in 3rd. But the ratios are so close that going to 3rd is like going into 2nd on my ('88) 911. Anyway, what a glorious machine! It feels like you can rev to infinity ...

One minor disappointment was the pedal position: the brake is a bit high for optimal heel-and-toe. Is there a way to adjust that?

I would love to take the Mondial on my annual drive from Chicago to Massachusetts (usually take the 911). I'm questioning the wisdom of that, though. The car appears to be fully sorted: it had a major last year (2019), has new tires, and the fusebox was replaced in 2016. All the electrics and indicator lights work (which I wasn't expecting). Still, I don't know the car very well. What do you all think -- too risky?

Fun fact: I couple of years ago I admired a red 3.2 that was regularly parked at the Chicago lakefront. Never got to meet the owner. That's the only Mondial I'd ever seen "in person." Fast forward to this month. The car is coming from California, but the PO had originally bought it from the midwest. Turns out the "midwest" was Chicago and my car is the same one I had seen years before -- I recognized the vanity plate that was listed on the service records. So I still have seen only one Mondial in my life.

Oh, a picture of the beast emerging from the carrier, a kind of homecoming for it, like a lost dog that finds its way home.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ellum, read33, ScreaminKaw and 9 others like this.
  2. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Congratulations on your new toy . Yes the Mondial can be driven for long distances specially if it has up to date periodic maintenance ( timing belts , tensioner bearings , fuel hoses , etc . Coolant and the coolant hoses as well ) . I envy you guys there in the USA we’re you have well paved roads and highways w/ not much traffic . Make sure AC is working as well if you plan to drive it in the summertime.

Enjoy it in good health and stay safe .

Luigi

paulchua likes this.
  3. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    After contemporizing the electronics on mine(fuse box, wiring, ignition, computer, fuel injection), i have full confidence in taking it anywhere. The further the better...they are great cars once brought up to 2020 technology

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Congrats.
    Happy it all turned out well and the coincidence of it being the one makes it all the better.
    :)

5. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    The only thing I haven't confirmed yet are the fuel lines -- one would think that there was anything awry the Ferrari techs who performed the major would have noticed (I think when they do this at the dealership they drop the engine, no (??). I still want to give things a good look as I've read too many horror stories of burning Ferraris ... As for the roads, it's all relative. I'm assuming you've never driven on highways between Chicago and Indiana -- they're dreadful, and congested to boot. But there are alot of nice open roads around, for which I'm grateful.

6. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks Bill -- it really is a nice car. Almost too nice, really; a few rock chips and I'd feel less inhibited about driving it around. And I find red attracts more attention than I'd like. A first world problem if there ever was one!

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful car!! For the long drive, I would make sure you have a few miles under your belt first just to get all the bugs out, then after that I have every confidence.

I put 20K miles on mine and have no fear of long distance driving.

Do please keep us posted.

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  8. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I'm just north of you in southeast WI, and yes the pedals are not good for heal and toeing, you have to cant your right foot to the right way more than in the Porsche (like at 2 O'clock). I have a 2008 Porsche Boxster too and the heal/toe is great in it. Congrats on a great car, the longer you own it the more you're love it!

9. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    What a great car and an exciting day it must have been when you realized it was the same car ! Crazy.

10. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Thank

11. sbortesi

sbortesi Rookie

Dec 22, 2016
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Sandro
    Congratulations on finally getting that Mondial. I'm actually in exactly the same boat as you now, pondering over whether to get a Mondial t or not. I'm looking at several here in Europe (non-red, preferably) but first I'm searching all the forums to make sure that I have my pre-purchase checklist all ready!

Send over more pictures of the awesome car and do keep us posted on the ownership journey!

12. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    congrats! very exciting!

13. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    My preference was also for non-red, but as you can see, it didn't quite work out that way! Ferraris are designed to look good in red, though.
    I'm curious about your preference for a t: they certainly look good, and they have more power than the earlier cars obviously, but they seem to fall into another category pricewise. (By contrast, the 348s don't seem to fetch more than the 328s.) For me, the engine out belt changes for the t was a eciding factor.

Best of luck in your search!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    OK guys: Here's what is probably a stupid question: where is the cat control unit located on the 3.2? (The car came with a spare, which I want to install because the slow down light is behaving erratically.) Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I thought I read somewhere that it was on the right side of the trunk under the carpeting. Spent awhile this afternoon trying to find it (you have to remove the electric antena to remove the carpeting, but no ecu; the wire from the thermocoupler seems to come up from the floor on the right side, enter a plastic tube that runs along the top of the trunk to the left side.

Did find some rust on the right floor panel, though, which added to my frustration.

Thanks!

15. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    On my 1987, you lift up the carpet on the passenger side of the trunk floor, and there will be a black metal panel that covers that ECU and other electronics. IF I remember correctly, two screws hold it down. You shouldn't have to remove the antenna for access. There also is an upright carpeted panel on the side that should be removed first since it covers the floor carpeting. Its held in with screws as well, that can sometimes be hard to find since they have sunk into the carpeting. That ECU unit is an incredibly hard part to find, and not cheap if you do. Nice to have an NOS one.
    My car is a cab, so don't know if the coupe is any different.

16. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thank you! That's very helpful. It wasn't obvious to me how to remove that black metal plate. The screws appear to have been removed, but the plate didn't lift out. That's the bit that was rusted, so maybe it just requires a bit of force.

17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congrats! they are nice rides and a true GT to make long distances. Pity about the rust though..! Do check/replace your fuel hoses!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Is there a piece of insulation material between the electronics and the bottom floor piece? That's missing from my car.

19. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    There is no insulation there on mine.

20. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Interesting. I would think that you'd have something in their to insulate the electronics against the considerable amount of heat coming up through the floor. (Water-logged) insulation there would also explain the rust, in spite of the drain hole there.

If you've gotten by without any insulation, maybe the electronics are more robust than I thought. I certainly wouldn't want to have to replace any of that stuff.

21. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Congratulations and welcome to our special gang of Mondi maniacs! What a great story that you have retrieved the one that attracted you to the model all those years ago. I've had my 85QV now for 6 years and driven 30,000 kilometers in that time. Most of that distance has been on one or two trips a year of 2000 to 4000 kilometers. They are just wonderful as road cars. It is what they were intended for, to take people in comfort and style, on long distances across Europe, on all types of roads. I've done 1000 k days and get out at the end not in the least tired or stiff from a day of driving. Those days were done on French/Euro autoroutes so the roads are smooth and the speed here is 80mph. It certainly ain't like driving the Indiana interstate where I was originally from which seemed like one long stretched of patched concrete and the locals decide to stay in the left lane just because they can. You will have a smile on your face the entire trip feeling the road and the engine and the car as part of you. Use it and enjoy!

Jeka and MvT like this.
  22. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #22 dmarti02, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Hello, I enjoyed reading your post as I'm comtemplating diving into Ferrari ownership. I guess I'm a strange bird, but since my early teens, my favorite Ferrari was the Mondial, just so much more of a subtle elegance than its stable mates.

How has ownership been going? I saw some unfortunate posts about rust, but how about the driving experience? Has it matched your expectations? Any buyers remorse?

ronfrohock likes this.
  23. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Ah, someone else who loved the Mondial in their teens. Objectively, the 308 is a prettier car, but somehow I found it easier picturing myself in the Mondial. Kind of a bonus that it's the only one that's reasonably affordable. When you drive it out in public, though, keep in mind that people don't think it's all that understated (esp. if it's red). Nobody thinks, "Oh just a Mondial." For most people you might as well be driving a Testarossa (the rest think it's a Corvette).

Short answer to your question: yes, it has totally matched my expectations. It's a glorious machine. I think I mentioned in a post above that after having read things about how difficult old Ferraris are to drive -- the heavy steering and clutch, not going into 2nd when cold, etc., etc. -- I was pleasantly surprised to find how easy it is to drive around town. The gated shifter and the engine note are everything they're cracked up to be.

The rust issue has turned out to be quite the project. To have had it done professionally would have cost me a couple thousand (4K?). But when I'm done the car will be fully sorted. There appears to be rust only in that one spot -- a drainage issue, I think. The rest of the car looks new underneath. If you're serious about a car, ask about the rust in that compartment below the luggage compartment. I suspect my car is not the only one with corrosion there. Ferrari steel is quite delicate, as I am discovering when I try to weld the stuff.

The only buyer's remorse is that I'm forced to sell my trusty BMW 2002 to make room for the Ferrari. But no regrets at all. I'm glad I bought mine before they get out of reach.

Good luck with your search!

dmarti02 and MvT like this.
  24. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks for the update! You described my thoughts precisely with respect to looks. Also, for whatever reason, I'm always drawn towards 4 seaters and sedans. Everyone wanted an Alfa spider, I bought a Milano and then a 164LS kind of thing!!

The reason about the buyers remorse stems from an 83 Porsche 928 that I bought. On a whim, but just didn't like it. Had a 99 Carrera and thought it was nice, but just didn't love it. 1987 Milano gave me goosebumps! 69 MGB GT puts smiles everytime I drive it. Obviously every car purchase is a gamble and there's a risk to spoiling a childhood dream, so I'm proceeding with caution.

I will also be adding that rust area to my purchasing checklist.