488 - First service question | Page 8 | FerrariChat

488 First service question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OldDog, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Did you have changed while there? When I brought my car in I waited for it and knew there would be an issue and told service advisor but he said no problem you are getting an oil change, I told him to let me know if anything changes. That is why I blew up with a lot of yelling when he came and got me 2 hours later to tell me car was done and I said great and it got an oil change? Idiot goes "No, it didnt need one". So had to wait another 2 hours while they changed oil. I did speak to Ferrari over the phone and all he did is tell me dealer should of told me about this change when I bought car. I said they didnt and he said he will look into it. Got this email back. Situation resolved? no

"Thank you for your patience regarding this matter.
    Based on the latest information available, we know that the situation has been resolved since the dealer provided goodwill in the form of an oil change.
    We are sorry to know about your disappointment with the terms and conditions of the predictive maintenance plan, but we hope that the clarifications provided both by the dealer and the Representative in charge clarified the situation.
    Thank you very much for your attention, we remain availble for any further future assistance you may need.
    Best regards,
    Fiorella

Ferrari Customer Care"

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #177 Shadowfax, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Took Pista in this week for the annual maintenance. Same deal. No oil change. After hearing the excuses - which don't add up to me - Ferrari is off the rails. The 3rs was in the day before for it's first annual service and the oil change done as mandatory. This new so called "predictive" servicing regime based upon an ECU readout is just cost cutting BS. They don't do anything. I'm told the ECU says next April based on current driving patterns. I said but we've been in covid lock down for months and I'm doing 2 track days a month now. This is not good. When you pay these dollars for a car you need to be convinced and I'm not convinced at all. They really do want to expire the ICE engine asap and this is their means to speed up that process.

PS. 355Aussie dirt in the engine is a very bad sign btw. Was it in the induction system? Or in the oil system? Induction means abrasives are entering the cylinders, in oil means bearing damage. How much dirt was found? Did you get to see? How many Ks is in the odo?

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I'm surprised people here arent paying to get it done anyways? Even thought I ended up getting it for free I would have paid if it was my only option. No way I'm waiting another year or making another trip since I'm already there

MANDALAY likes this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I found out about the servicing crap a month before my last service 3 weeks ago. In a nut shell they looked at me and said no issue with your car as its pre 02/19 , its 07/18 and you will get your annual oil changes with filter and everything else.
    Im curious to see if any Victoria customer will follow the Ferrari way ? Maybe Zagames might do oil changes ?

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Definitely agree with you. They are Turbo engines. But its really low ball that Ferrari didn't clearly inform its customers after 02/19 that this was the new way

scott61 likes this.
  6. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Well here we go again. Removed the air filter from the Pista today. If anyone wants to know the procedure let me know and I can walk you through it. No offence to China but the air filter is made in China!!!!! Pollen filter made in Italy and Oil filter made in France but a key piece preventing debris from entering your lovely Ferrari is made in China. Over and out!!!!

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #182 Shadowfax, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    So how do I get it out to look at it? How many ks have you done before the filter is letting dirt into the engine? Seems like Ferrari is just about over and out too looking at what they are bringing out! I still cant believe they are such tight asses on the oil. Ridiculous!!!!!

Btw who did the oil test? Ferrari or someone on the outside? Dirt in the oil is very bad.

8. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    I have 12K on it. The paper filter used that is made in China doesnt look like it does the job. Will go over to BMC. My guess is you will have dirt in your oil to. I sent my oil sample off to Nulon to test. There are a few places that will do it. Costs $40 for a test and it is very infomative. I plan to run the BMC filter for 5K then do another oil test. This will show me the efficiency of the BMC filter compared to the original filter. At least the pollen filter changed for free comes from Italy. LOL

IloveGT likes this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That sounds bad. So are many of the 12km track ks? Or just urban city driving? Is the filter hard to access? Paper filters should normally take out more than a bmc.... must be a real crap filter they use.

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    i can't think of the price difference to justify its usage. $10 a pop for a 450k car.

11. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Both track and country. Probably 50/50. Filter looks OK. It is not the same as the 488 filter. It has like an extra piece below the filter to collect fine debris so it actually is a better filter than the standard 488. I will take some pics tonight and share. One of the head mechanics at Ferrari who has been with the brand for many years made some valid points today when I talked to him. We all know our fuel is effectively crap here as we do not spend the money to have good fuel compared to the rest of the world. So the dirt in the engine is a normal thing for our engines. It is nothing to worry about. I am going to take a sample from my Scuderia and get it tested then that will tell us the story if it shows the same amount of slica and aluminium as like the Pista oil. Ill report back. Meanwhile photos coming shortly.

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  13. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    The normal 488 filter they fit to the 488's does not have the extra carbon piece on the bottom so it seems as though the Pista filter looks OK. I dont know Ill juts keep driving the bloody thing.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Seems the free service doesn't amount to much more than a car wash, a checking of fluid levels and an ecu scan which then uses an algorithm apparently based upon global averages. Funny stuff eh. I mean how does a 07/18 qualify an annual oil change yet a 2019 suddenly doesn't? I guess 2019 must have been a very good year :rolleyes:. For a 2019 owner they can pay 750 dollars for the oil change if they don't agree with the algorithm. So yeah it's got nothing to do with money or costs whatsoever :rolleyes:. Frankly I kinda felt robbed wasting my time driving it over especially seeing it didn't even need a wash. What a load of BS Ferrari is turning out to be.

johnr265, Ash Patel, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Just an update on my 2019 488GTB. I took it to my local dealer Monday, Tampa Ferrari for its annual service. My 2019 has an October 2018 delivery date so I get the oil change no matter and it is 2 years old so I got the brake fluid flush too. There was no arguments or any issues getting this service done like I have read about other dealers.

Dealer uses Pekelo lubricants and fluids exclusively. They use them in Challenge cars and street cars. Many other dealers use Pekelo oil including the Risi Competizone race team out of Houston Ferrari. Pekelo Krypton XT LA 5W-40 was used. I opted for Motul RBF660 brake fluid due to higher boiling temps that the Pekelo brake fluid.

Dealership got everything done, car was detailed and not a single finger print smudge on it. Then it started raining....typical for me... super clean to dirty... so I will wash it tonight and detail it tomorrow.

The service advisor threw in an extra bottle of Pekelo oil, even though 488's do not burn oil, it's good to have an extra quart just in case.

I plan on a lot of miles this fall and winter and a track day or 2. Anyone know the cost of an oil change for a 488?

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Just a bit of an update. I received a customer satisfaction report questionnaire because of a logged call out ( Flat battery , but I fixed it myself and wasn’t required ) and the service I had done.
    Doesn’t affect me as my car is pre 02/2019 with regards to oil change. But I did say it was a bit low that on new cars after that date the computer will work out if an oil change is required.

Well after 5 days bang dealer called me , thanking me for the excellent report I gave on their service but went on to explain the reasoning for the change in oil change.

Just shows you head office gets notification and from what I can see very fast

mdrums and IloveGT like this.