Harry's Garage 812 Superfast Video. | FerrariChat

Harry's Garage 812 Superfast Video.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by miurasv, Jul 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  2. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Harry is fantastic, as usual.

3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    35 minutes on the 812 which could have been distilled down to 10
    I don’t mind the countryside and place to stay stuff but maps and traffic issues could have eliminated

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I normally really enjoy his videos, but this leaves be a bit puzzled.

Two things I can't wrap my head around.

1: Do you UK guys really have that many issues with tramlining in 812's with Pirellis on them. Yes I know the PZ4 does this like its predecessor did, but I have never heard it described as being this bad i have not driven an 812 on UK roads, but still.

2: His "complaint" about gearratios and suspension. I mean, yes the engine is in the front, but that does not in itself make it a GT. When he reads from what looks to be press material, it is indeed described as a "Proper GT", but why is that? This csr does NOT sit within Ferraris line of GT cars. It's a sportscar and it sits in that line of cars with the F8 and SF90. Sure, if you get in it and expect a GT like a Lusso you will be greatly dissapointed, and I thing that is what happens here. If you expect a proper supercar style sportscar, then you will be blown away, because that is what it is. I do think it rides nicely and settles down well when you ask it to, but its nature of being a playful and engaging car that keeps urging you on is what it is about.

I can't help but feeling that this review does not do the car justice. In part because there is a problem which seems to be a very UK only thing, and in part because either the press info given to drivers or Harrys own idea about what the car is, is incorrect.

Am I the only one who feels this is a bit off?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well that's what many like about him. I actually like his road trips. It's a nice way of getting around some of the day to day stuff. To each their own:)

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great scenery and great car!!

Boomhauer and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Only weighs 1660 kg. That's way lighter than I'd expect.

Caeruleus11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I enjoy watching Harry's Garage but increasingly find his reviews to be "out of touch" when it comes to new cars. To me, his reviews and opinions seem to be way more in-depth and connected to anything before 2010 but with all the newer stuff its just meh. To me the generational disconnect is very obvious and can be seen in the cars he has in his personal garage.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well sort of I guess. Yes there's definitely a bit of a disconnect, but at the same time, he's very much in the age group of many owners. With my 39 years, I sometimes find myself in the younger crowd in Ferrari land. Also, he has had experiences with lots of cars and been around many experts during his time with Evp. So by that I think he should be able to both do the objective and subjective thing. My issue is when for instance he talks about the tramlining, but fail to address the fact that there might actually be a solution in the Michelins, and that it might be a tyre issue and not the cars fault.
    As a reviewer it is also his task to do some research into what kind of product he is reviewing. Just assuming it's a GT due to the engine placement and in part the press material, is not okay. That's not about disconnect with the car itself or the demographic, but rather him not doing his homework because he automatically assumes that he knows what it is. So perhaps he is losing his ability to focus because he does not care a lot about the current generation? If so, he should not be reviewing those cars. That's a damn shame because when he's good, he's really good.

He's a member here. Would very much like to have him chime in and provide some more insight.

Caeruleus11, Solid State and j09333 like this.
  10. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I disagree.

11. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    A 1700lb car is a GT to me. Regardless of what some feel. Sportscars are light and compact. I sense that a number of people have hurt feelings because they are convinced they are driving a sportscar.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, that's your opinion. Unfortunately simply judging a cars attributes solely by its weight is so nonsensical it does not wrrant further explanation. Curisou to know what you actually drive?

13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Nice scenery, but that rambling geezer is boring AF!

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I agree. I felt this “review” was somewhat disconnected. Half the trip he was driving it in auto and wet mode despite not raining. He complained he needed a cushion for the seat to make it comfortable, and at one point was driving with the TFT screen warning that the door was open.
    I have now logged 3K miles in my 812SF and can state emphatically, like the F12, it is two cars in one. You can treat it like a GT but IMO it is more of a super-sports car being front-midengined and 800hp and laser fast steering. I believe it is a mistake for him to declare it a GT car just because the engine is in front of the cabin...does that mean throughout the decades all such configurations were GT car’s...?...the GTO, the original TR, Shelby Coupe to name just 3 legendary sports-racing cars.

R J, Caeruleus11, Solid State and 2 others like this.
  15. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    [QUOTE = "Cargt63, post: 147331072, membre: 147558"] Une voiture de 1700 lb est une GT pour moi. Indépendamment de ce que certains ressentent. Les voitures de sport sont légères et compactes. J'ai l'impression qu'un certain nombre de personnes ont des sentiments douloureux parce qu'elles sont convaincues qu'elles conduisent une voiture de sport. [/ CITATION]

Ok, pourriez-vous me dire quelles sont les voitures de sport légères et compactes de la gamme Ferrari ?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Manettino set on Wet ?

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't mind that he drives it in wet, I mean that helps make the car settle. If cruising in Auto, it makes perfect sense to soften it up as much as possible. I believe that the cars suspension is even softer in wet than it is when bumpy road mode is engaged in Sport etc. Why limit yourself? I will never understand it when people make a big song and dance about never drive in Auto. The modes as well as Auto vs. Manual is just part of what the cars have to offer and what gives them a broad spectrum. Why put up with jerky shifts and harsh suspension when you're just cruising along or the like? Wet mode and Auto is not the problem.:)

Matt L, JotaEle and maxemus like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Moi aussi:D

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    California, Portofino, Lusso, Roma = GT. 458/488 = High performance sports car. 599/F12/812 = Flagship high performance sports car. Some of that has changed since the SF90 is now the flagship but previously posted many times were the internal Ferrari marketing slides showing the lineup lineage. Today I've seen the younger crowd - even Ferrari employees and reviewers - refer to the mid-front monsters as GTs. Not correct but so be it. The rest of the world knows whats up. :)

Prancing12 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Ferrari made a very clear transition with the 599 and pretty much every public review of the front mid-engined cars has missed the point since. I remember very clearly a review Chris Harris did with 599HGTE, Aston Martin and a Bentley in which he called the 599 not enough of a tourer/too twitchy. Very similar to the V12 Lambos these V12 Ferraris sit in a category of 1.

21. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The 812 is a 'GT' but only by traditonal layout, not the way the drivetrain is set up.

The Lusso is the true GT of the current lineup.

italiafan likes this.
  22. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    I am apparently in the minority on this, but this video was fun to watch. I enjoy his English-accented understated way of speaking. I never go on trips longer than a few miles in my 812, so it was nice to see the car go on a real road trip. And the highlight was seeing the car climb the massive Mont Ventoux. That was thrilling.

Like I said, I am in the minority on this one :)

BigChimp and mclaren slr like this.
  23. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Je dirai que seules la F-8 et SF-90 sont "légères et compactes"

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's interesting, because if you look it up, they are close to the same size and weight. An F8 is 1600-1650 wet. An SF90 is up there as well. The 812 is narrower than the SF90 and F8, but only a few centimetres longer. Aside from the engine placement, a lot of things about these cars are in fact very similar. The cars in the GT line are much larger and they are much heavier.

25. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Yes, all true. But I just don't think of the front engine cars as being light - I have all three current models and they all feel bulky.

The mid-engines feel light and tight. And ready to pounce on a curve.

Having said all that, I am not by any means an expert and have never been on a track.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.