Does this fuse board look ok? | FerrariChat

Does this fuse board look ok?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Vee1234, Jul 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi all, apologies this is my first post and already asking for advice!
    I have been lurking around for a while keeping an eye out for my first Mondial. There is a auction opportunity for a 3.2 I am interested in however given circumstances viewing is limited.

I was hoping to get a little collective forum wisdom here on the attached fuse board pic. I believe there are some electrical issues on the car (opening trunk and bonnet lid not working) and intermittent windows and lights faults. The previous owner also has installed a push button start for the ignition probably trying to rectify a previous ignition issue or is this a common mod to improve ignition reliability?

A couple of alarm bells ringing and obviously needs to be factored into the price. I can see a few burnt connections and looks like the original board... is there anything else to be spotted as odd?

Many thanks in advance

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Push button start for the ignition ? Push button for starter motor would be more like it.! These cars have a problem with a drop of voltage to the starter motor due to old fuse boxes having bad contacts. There is someone on here who builds these fuse boxes as no longer available- you should allow for the price of one in the car price as it will need renewing if showing signs of burning

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looking at the W Connector (white, on the right) I'd say that the fuse board is toasted. And you'll know for sure when you open it up. For example:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009

Yea I thought same but looks more like a discolored piece of tape?

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good eye.

@Vee1234, can you disconnect the white connector and get a close-up photo?

Mine started to burn right after I had the a/c fixed, which hadn't worked in a very long time i.e. before I bought the car.

6. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Thanks chaps, all great points for me to consider.

@Wade unfortunately I cannot get to the car easily.

I don’t mind factoring in for a replacement board which I have seen being offered with improvements. Seems like a no brainier.

I think what I am asking is do the wiring looms/harness’ look like they have been hacked at by incompetent sparky’s in the past?

I’m thinking of setting aside £1,000 for a belt change and another £1,000 for the electric boards and other bits.... does sound reasonable?

The starter button also concerns me ... might be doing more harm than good?

I feel a rabbit hole coming on.....

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Neglected and unloved cars are always a gamble. But if this one is interesting enough, and hopefully rust-free (or mostly so) then it could be worthwhile if the price is right. It's certainly a buyer's market nowadays.

But from what I see and suspect so far, it's probably overdue for a full service. In other words, more that just a belt change. Huge savings if you can do it yourself. Otherwise, triple your quote at least.

Not sure what the current pricing is for the fuse board... hopefully some others here will chime in.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #8 MvT, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Grigio color is nice! Red, black or tan interior?

It has been touched on the yellow circles and arrows and there is missing a relay (white circle) of the condenser fan. The fuel pump fuse looks like it is missing too (first bank third from the right)!

From the looks of it is better to replace it. From a cost aspect between 800/1000 USD

Folks here can help out to get a better fuse box then the inferior original one :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The car usually starts on the key, the wiring is simple. So might just need a new ignition switch if it has had a separate start button fitted. Simple fix

10. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Gents cannot thank you enough for the comments. Really helps when getting into a marque for the first time.

@MvT its got the crema interior. I’m told it runs so the fuel pump fuse must be shorted?

@mike32 I’ve circled the offending start button ... I think pinched from Jaguar/Land Rover ! Is that the correct centre console for a 3.2?

@Wade from pictures it does present well. Had some paint and oil service recently.... apparently the last owner was a diy hence no stamps but I need to check the invoices in that case!

anything else jump out at you chaps to run for the hills from the pictures? It is a 86 UK 3.2.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    The current/previous owner did a lot (of mods). Center console is extended upwards. I like it to be honest if there is also a compartment in it since originally you have only one next to you which is too shallow for stuff, besides the glove compartment which is out of your reach.

The seat are from a Mondial T (1988 and younger) and so is the steering wheel. Back seat seem to be original. The leather has been redyed I guess.

On the glove compartment has been changed as well. It should say QuattroValvole.

Gearlever know has been changed (often done)

Regarding the Fuel pump fuse. I think it has a Fuel pump mod to avoid the connector discussed earlier from melting. Nevertheless I would replace the fuse box with one of Guido's here on Fchat and get it back to original.

A peek of original interior:

12. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I recently did a fuse box change using the one from GT Car Parts. Price was just under a thousand bucks for the board. They also have new connectors and metal clips available if needed.

13. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    @MvT thats a very cool video thanks - thats yours I take it? same colour!

Yes it does seem the seller was a 'diy mod' enthusiast... it could be worse but the devil will be under the skin when you get into it. It always makes me wary as unpicking previous mods are complicated matters normally done to hide an underlying issue that was never corrected properly.

14. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Thanks @greatscott73 - looks pretty much a 'plug n play' job?

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The switch on the central console is not original, also the console should not have the raised bit i think. Been a few years since mine gone.

17. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    As long as your white connectors are still in good shape, it is plug and play. I replaced all of my old relays and fuses with new ones, but recently two of my new Bosch replacements died, so I put the originals back in! GT is easy to deal with and shipping was quick as well.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have the wiring diagram book for this uk car, so when you revert back to key start i can advise the connections

19. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    That would be brilliant @mike32 - will drop you a message when ready. Going to try and see the car tomorrow!

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I just see that the bumper is not aligned. Have a look in that area if it had damage or that it is just the side mount that wiggles. There are few that are aligned btw :) The original mirrors have been replaced as well I now noticed.

Ask if they kept the original parts!!f I not, that certainly affects the price. Also ask when the belt service was etc. Talking about the price.. what do they ask for it if I may ask?
    IMHO it should not be more the 30,000 GBP since it is not in original state. Not sure in these times what it prices are. Maybe even perhaps 20,000 GBP.

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I found it. Key fob is a nice detail especially when it says Mondial on it (rare)!

I my previous post I mentioned the bumper does not line up correctly. I see that it looks not as it should in this area and the light pod also has signs of damage. Have a good look at the paint job. It looks nice, but when I see the the area I just mentioned it could be that it was a rush or most likely cheap job. A pity because when you paint a car it is a chance to correct/repair things right.

Ps, yes that is my Mondi on the vid :) It now has a completely different look with a new paint job. It didn't had the correct tint and previous paint job was cheaply done by the previous owner. There are only a few painting machines that can make the "correct" color, which I learned at the time.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/mondial-repaint-with-the-correct-grigio-tint.564572/

22. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Your eye for detail is incredible! I’m going to see the car soon so will hopefully get a better understanding. Looks like he has chucked in a whole bunch of T parts - looks OK on the face of it but definitely not for the purist!

it’s an auction so not sure what the price will run time. Difficult to tell in this market. There are mondial available in the UK ranging from £25k upwards.

23. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Disappointing viewing. No invoices from 2011 on file only road worth certificates (called mot in the uk) up to date.
    Started but with high idle (c 3500rpm) and wouldn’t settle down.
    Then it wouldn’t start at all... so a hot start issue.
    Ignition key totally bypassed with a secondary key to engage electrics and then push button start. Trunk, boot and engine lid opened on cable rather than button.
    There is no such thing as a bargain!

@MvT i checked in the front corner light well and couldn’t see any signs of damage but good spot!

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    High idle can be throttle cable needs renewing, sticking innner. You can tell by looking at the point the cable attaches to the engine, spring loaded beam. No hot start can be fuel accumulator no good.
    So u are down to 12000 now.

25. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    @mike32 thanks for the info. What did you mean by the above?