My brand new Portofino (unusual spec) | FerrariChat

My brand new Portofino (unusual spec)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mariodiniz21, Jul 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mariodiniz21

mariodiniz21 Rookie

May 13, 2015
    611LW, tommygun64, 9nb and 6 others like this.
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its not a color me BUT I love that you got what you wanted and didnt worry about 'resale Rossa'

Have fun w her!

Lesia44 and ScottJon like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Now THAT is how you do a first post! Congrats on the new Porto. Hope it's all miles and smiles for you...T

jm2 likes this.
  4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I like the dark green, very nice color! Not sure I'd have done red carpets but it does brighten the interior nicely. Great looking car! Enjoy it in good health!!

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I think that is one of the very best features of ordering a Ferrari, the vast, truly vast, level of customization possible, does any other manufacturer come close?

Well done, got your heart's desire, can't beat that!

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes Porsche does and like Ferrari, charges accordingly.
    No. 1054
    July 8, 2020

About The Autoextremist
    witchhuntbook.com). It is available on Amazon in both hardcover and Kindle formats, as well as on iBookstore. DeLorenzo is also the author of The United States of Toyota.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

THE AUTOEXTREMIST - RANTS
    A MASTER CLASS IN GREED.

[​IMG]MONDAY, JULY 6, 2020 AT 10:17AM
    By Peter M. DeLorenzo

Detroit. It’s no secret that Porsche has leveraged its brand cachet for all it's worth. The once-humble little car company founded on the idea of building lithe sports cars has grown into an automotive touchstone and one of the most profitable car companies in the world.

That Porsche was forced to stray far from its roots, however, was inevitable. After all, building legendary sports cars and fantastic racing cars – and achieving major racing victories across the globe – could only take the company so far before the realities of survival became the single most important issue facing the company.

Becoming part of the VW Group juggernaut allowed Porsche to have a solid foundation of financial stability, but even that wasn’t enough. So, the company embarked on a strategy that Porsche operatives believed would allow it to survive – and thrive – well into the future. Starting with the Cayenne SUV and further expanded with the Macan SUV, Porsche focused on the hottest market segment and made the transition from being a sports car maker that happened to dabble in SUVs, to an SUV maker that happened to still build sports cars for the True Believers willing to invest in the brand. And now, Cayenne and Macan account for more than 60 percent of Porsche sales worldwide.

But being part of the VW Group has brought new pressure to bear on Porsche. VW is going all-in on electrification of its vehicle lineup, and Porsche is expected to contribute mightily to that effort. Which is why the company is offering its new, fully electric Taycan. But there’s proof that this transition is going to be costly for Porsche, because the company is pulling the plug on its factory-supported Porsche 911 RSRs in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at the end of the season. The symbolism of this move was hard to miss. Porsche is walking away from its raison d’etre – competing at the highest level of major league sports car racing – in order to devote all of its engineering focus and energy to building more EVs throughout its product lineup. That Porsche still makes brilliant sports cars – the 718 and 911 - is duly noted, and they will for years to come. Slowly but surely, however, Porsche is transforming into something else altogether, and where the company will end up will be interesting to watch.

One thing that will never change at Porsche, apparently, is the fact that they employ the most creative – and flat-out usurious – pricing and option structure in the business, which is the reason it is one of if not the most profitable car company in the world. Now, to be clear, I have no problem with car companies making money; it’s the name of the game, in fact. But Porsche’s pricing approach has been to gouge both its True Believer enthusiasts and its new SUV aficionados with equal ruthlessness. It’s nothing short of a Master Class in Greed.

For today’s discussion, I will give just one example of Porsche’s prodigious fleecing of its customers, but you can certainly extrapolate this across its entire product lineup. Let’s take a close look at the new Porsche Cayenne GTS Coupe, which has experienced saturated automotive media coverage of late.

To call the Cayenne GTS Coupe a “coupe” is disingenuous, at best, because it’s just a four-door Cayenne with a slightly faster back, and less rear headroom. But this trend is not new, as BMW and Mercedes-Benz have been flogging this notion for years. I guess some would could call it “sporty,” but I loathe that description when it comes to automobiles, so I’ll just leave it here.

The new Cayenne GTS Coupe has a twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 with 453HP and 457 pound-feet of torque, coupled to an eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel-drive. It also weighs just under 5,000 lbs. So, there’s that. It has a lot of other stuff, too, which I’m not going to get into. But the base price is a staggering $111,850 with destination charges included.

So, let’s build our Cayenne GTS Coupe from there. I think I want the optional color, “Chalk.” That’s an extra $3150. Adding the 22” Cayenne Sport Classic wheels in High Gloss Black (includes wheel arch extensions in exterior color) will set you back $2770. I will go with the 8-way Sport Seats in Black Leather, which is not extra (wow.)

From there I’m going to add the Lightweight Sport Package, which includes the Sport Design Package in exterior color; Carbon Interior Package; Heated Multifunction Sport Steering Wheel in Race-Tex; Carbon Fiber Roof; 22" GT Design Wheels in Satin Platinum; Leather Interior in Black/ Silver Houndstooth; Air intake grilles in Matte Black; Airblades in Matte Black; Rooflining in Race-Tex; Rear diffuser in Carbon Fiber and a Sport Exhaust System with Center Mounted Tailpipes, all for – gulp - $9140.

Adding the Assistance Package, which consists of Surround View; Head-Up Display; Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Traffic Jam Assist; Lane Keep Assist (LKA) incl. Traffic Sign Recognition and Night Vision Assist adds $6250.

Odds and ends? Upper rear wing in High Gloss Black: $570. Exterior mirrors painted in High Gloss Black: $660. Under door puddle light projectors: $330, (but requires the addition of Ambient Lighting for $430). Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC): $3590. Rear Axle Steering including Power Steering Plus: $1620. LED-Matrix Design Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+): $1200. Auto Dimming Mirrors (Seriously?) $420. Comfort Access: $940. Vehicle Keys Painted (Chalk) including One Key pouch in leather: $540. Power Sunblind for rear side windows: $450. Central Tachometer in Chalk: $420. Cargo management System: $420. Smartphone compartment with wireless charging: $690. And Burmester 3D High-End Surround Sound System: $7000.

All for a grand total of $150,190. And I left a whole bunch of other stuff off the list that could have been added too. Remember, the base price started at $111,850. Porsche has single-handedly created and refined this way of fleecing its customers over decades, charging for every detail that other luxury manufacturers regularly make standard. Oh sure, other manufacturers aren’t blameless in all of this, because they have been doing it for years as well. But none of them have mastered the art of extracting mountains of cash from its True Believer faithful like Porsche has. In fact, to paraphrase one of its ancient advertising themes, Nothing – and no other car company – comes even close.

Is Porsche to blame that a lot of its buyers gobble up the Porsche option list like patrons of an all-you-can-eat Las Vegas buffet? No, of course not. But then again, to me it says a lot about the cynicism within Porsche – that they relish the fact that they can gouge their customers with impunity and extract mountains of money from buyers who just can’t help themselves and who long to be the Biggest Tools in the Shed.

It’s a Master Class in Greed brought to you by Porsche. And it’s pathetic.

As for me, if I were in the market for a high-performance SUV (I'm not), I would take a long, hard look at ordering a new 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat with 710HP, which will probably cost easily half as much.

7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thank you for that !
    I remember standing on the Porsche factory floor in Stuttgart (March 1990) and there was, on the wall, an arrangement of 300 color chips representing all the colors you could order a Porsche, they have been at it a long time too!

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Moved to appropriate forum section.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Congrats on the new car! I think it looks amazing! Drive it fast, drive it often and love it!

10. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congratulations!
    Enjoy the ride

11. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Congratulations and enjoy it in the best of health

I applaud you for skipping the shields

mariodiniz21 likes this.
  12. mariodiniz21

mariodiniz21 Rookie

May 13, 2015
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, this weekend I'm already doing a 1500 klms road trip.

Regarding the color it's Verde British and interior carpets are Bordeaux, seat belts and calipers are red. I like the green and red contrast. My intention is to keep this car forever, so the residual value is not important, I made this car to my taste only. I also have a Porsche 911 (991.2) in a similar shade of green, also bought new as a PTS order.

Can someone give me information regarding the Portofino engine run-in procedure?

A couple of new pictures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Congratulations. Enjoy your car

14. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Page 119 in the owner's manual.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    She's a beauty!

Congrats!

Dan

16. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Striking car, congratulations!

17. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Very nice specs.... Enjoy in good health

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

18. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Marcel will approve your exterior color choice...

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    RS...That's your badge free beauty, isn't it?
    T

20. mariodiniz21

mariodiniz21 Rookie

May 13, 2015
    Is there a way to keep the digital speedo on the right screen and the radio/music on at the same time? When I turn off the infotainment (holding power button) the speedo finally appears in big numbers on the right screen, but if I turn the infotainment on again the right screen switches from the digital speedo to the radio/music informations which are irrevelant to me. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Yes.

tomc likes this.
  22. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    If the right screen has been set for MPH (see manual),turning on the infotainment won't affect that.

23. mariodiniz21

mariodiniz21 Rookie

May 13, 2015
    It won't stay on if it's KPH? When I turn on the infotainment the right screen automatically starts showing radio/media information, the digital (in kph) disappears.

24. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    But did you actually set the right TFT to display KPH (KPH or MPH doesn't matter) as described in the owners manual? In the USA manual it is on page 82 and page 90. You start by going to SETTINGS on the left TFT.