Portofino gearbox reluctant to change down | FerrariChat

Portofino gearbox reluctant to change down

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Robert Hitchcock, Jul 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Hitchcock

Jul 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hitchcock
    I see Jeremy Clarkson commented about this, but I am looking for a way to make my Portofino more drivable.
    At the moment if I am driving and there is a chance of overtaking, the car will not change down and just stays in 6th gear with no acceleration available unless I manually use the paddles.
    I have 2 other cars with similar gearboxes and both change down to the car is in the optimum gear and in the power band all the time, Aston Martin Vantage and Morgan Plus 6.
    The Portofino will not change down, it just makes more noise and will not accelerate. I have taken it in to the dealer, and tested another car, still the same. I sent an email which they forwarded to Ferrari but I am told this is how they are set up.
    This is hopeless, does anyone know a way to alter this, surely its only software or something.
    Any advice gratefully received, thanks in advance.

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    It looks like the software set up just allows for the exhaust valve control to change tone and sound mean, no need to down shift and use the near 600 HP to over take. The sound alone should be enough to have the offending slow car just move out of the way. :mad:

I am joking of coarse :p, but I think it is interesting that "The exhaust system has been tweaked to give the car a proper sound note while maintaining its grand touring nature, featuring an adjustable electric bypass valve that monitors the engine's sound according to driving conditions." Like over taking and scaring the other cars into moving over. o_O
    I am sure someone will start adjusting the software to make this better as long as there are enough cars out of warranty, including extended ones, to cover the outrageous cost of software hacking and re-development.
    Be patient.
    Like when waiting to pass slower cars. :confused:

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Why not use the paddles?