New 360 Owner - I broke all of the rules | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New 360 Owner - I broke all of the rules

Discussion in '360/430' started by S F, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice post, I enjoyed reading that. An adventure is an adventure, this was a good one. I think it's hilarious that you had to get that wrap off it immediately. I get that.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    the FC of SA is the BEST!..... look them up they do fabulous drives and destination events.... with guns, tanks, good food, etc...
    really great people.

Great 1st f car experience!
    Alot of 360 experience here..... we are here to help.... and share what works and what does not work!

3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
  4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Great looking car! Was it hard to get the wrap off ?

5. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Congrats from a fellow blue 360 owner in Texas. They are great cars. Enjoy!

Dewinator likes this.
  6. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.

Would these scanners be beneficial to take with when going to inspect a car for potential purchase? If so what all can it tell you?

7. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Great story, great trip and great car. You will love this car!!!!

8. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
    Always been jealous of the blues! Enjoy her in good health!

9. socialpro1

socialpro1 Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #34 socialpro1, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Scott great to see you on here as well (Alex in Scottsdale from Lambo-talk). I too just picked up my first Ferrari (458) with higher mileage that's currently already starting to get sorted (see what this adventure brings). Nice departure and change of scene from the two Gallardos and several Porsches I had - and will see what the ferrari ownership has in store. I read your story above and then realized who posted it - and would love to check out the Scud sometime (one of my favorite ferraris as well). Do you still have your G as well?

Congrats on such an awesome addition and will be following your progress on here to see what comes of your project with her!!! Let's see some pix of the new ride!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rexcat458, Stealthssfc and E60 M5 like this.
  10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Hey Alex! Good to hear from you. Scud should arrive Friday! Yup, still have the Lambo (for now...we will see what happens after the scud arrives...I’m having a hard time deciding to let it go!). The 458 looks wicked!

11. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Congrats, looks 10x better without that wrap.

12. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    You're right, I did very much luck into this one. My timeline was still 6 months to a year out, but I love blue cars and I knew it would be hard to find another one. I now have three blue cars and one with some blue flake in it, I think I have an issue, haha!

That gives me hope. I figure worse case scenario they could be disassembled, sanded and clear coated inside and out? I wish replacement lenses were available, but when things aren't available, creativity takes over.

I know what you're saying, and I am on the same page. When you pick up a "project" type car the little and big things can be backed with "at least I got a good deal on it" where as the supposedly perfect cars just annoy you when something breaks because you've already paid for a perfect car, at least in your mind! :)

Thanks, I would definitely do the drive again, it was a great way to get to know the car. As far as the wrap, I'm sure at least two people out in the world liked it. The person who paid for it and the person that got paid to do it ;)

I'm glad to hear that, I'll likely need some help! I'm in Houston actually but San Antonio was actually the home of my very first Ferrari experience. If it wasn't for that dealership, I'm not sure I'd have this car as they really ignited the fire for me.

TDF would be my first choice, nice car!

Not too bad actually. I just went slowly and started on the edges and worked my way around. A little glue was left on the edges, but some tarminator took care of it quickly.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks, will do my best to enjoy it, once I get it back up to par.

What a beauty. The 458 is one of my "one day" cars as they are just beautiful.

Agree, the paint condition underneath leaves a little to be desired, but anything is better than what was on there. The thing i disliked most about the wrap was how bright the colors were. It drew a lot of attention and a ton of people took pictures of the car on the highway when we got back to town, didn't expect that to be honest.

BrettC likes this.
  13. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    One issue I'm having with this car is that the check engine is on and comes back quickly after it is cleared. I'm getting random misfires on an entire bank of cylinders. On the other bank I'm also getting a no activity code on the front oxygen sensor. I noticed the wiring loom on the passenger side O2 sensor was routed incorrectly and had tension on it, so i figured that was the problem and replaced both. The problem randomly comes back. I had a peek behind the cover on the passenger side and didn't see any frayed or disconnected wires, so I'm not sure on that one.

On the random misfires, I went ahead and replaced all the spark plugs as I had no record on them. The car had "PMR8A" plugs but I replaced them with the "PMR8B" plugs.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on the plugs, but I attached a picture in case anyone with more knowledge on reading plugs can tell me if they see anything bad.

Random misfires came back after a short drive. I was looking in the glovebox and found a receipt from the previous owner where the same issue was present and the car wouldn't pass smog because of it. So much for "absolutely no problems, runs great and would drive across the country" but it was a good lead. The shop that looked at it recommended replacing one of the mass air flow sensors due to low signal response. When I poked around with my code reader I also found this as a "pending code" so I thought they were onto something.

Instead of simply replacing it I tried cleaning first.

No dice, still gives random misfires after a short drive and a pending code for the MAF.

I found a menu on the scanner that allowed me to watch the MAF flow rate and found the driver side reporting approximately half the air flow of the passenger side This was also causing short term fuel trims to be adjusted by 25% on one bank of cylinders. I think this could very well be the cause of my random misfires and slight fuel smell at times. Parked the car for now and ordered two new MAFs as replacing them as a pair seemed to be the way to go. Fingers crossed that these will cure the running issues and CEL!

Since the car is parked until the parts arrive, I decided to try to polish the hood to see if the paint could be saved.

When I say the paint is bad, it's really an understatement. I've never seen anything like this before. In the previous owner's defense, he lived in a very dusty environment and improper wash techniques combined with dust and sand are a recipe for disaster when it comes to paint work.

The hood in this picture has had about two passes with a microfiber cutting pad and some Menzerna FG400. It's still not polished, but the cutting compound finishes down nice enough to photograph. It cleaned up decently but still has some spots that may not clean up completely, such as in the middle top of the hood where obvious pressure was used while washing/drying the car. Compared to the fender, it's a night and day difference. I am pretty confident that the car will be presentable after a proper polish, but the roof will likely still need to be resprayed. Still though, seeing the hood clean up really got my spirits up about the car because it's honestly embarrassing to take out as-is with the paintwork in such poor shape.

Kevin Rev'n, E60 M5 and pilotoCS like this.
  14. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Congrats!
    Good job on the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Did you buy Ferrari MAF's or bosch? Just wondering price differences and such.

16. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks. I did the rest of the car and it looks a bit more presentable now.

Will get some quotes on getting the roof/rear fenders redone here soon as they unfortunately just aren't savable.

I went with the Bosch ones, which should be identical. Before taxes and shipping, they were $100.50 each, which is a good savings over the ones that come in a Ferrari box.

Kevin Rev'n, 550nitis and BrettC like this.
  17. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Yes, well I did something similar with my first Ferrari, minus the drive. We'll see how it works out...

18. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Great news, the mass air flow sensors made all of the difference. The car now revs, drives and feels amazing. Actually the first time that I've ever driven the car healthy and I have to say, it's a lot of fun!

The MAFs came in a Bosch box, but all of the markings were identical to the OE ones that I removed. Between the MAFs, O2 sensors and plugs, I should be good to go when it comes to burning fuel properly. Next up will be an oil change and basic service of the car and then can start enjoying it!

19. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I did the same thing and saw a fantastic boost in performance changing MAF, O2, coils and plugs. Then a month later I had my injectors cleaned/rebuilt and again saw another great increase in performance, you might want to look into that too.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Love this post! Good
    Stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S F likes this.
  21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    What mileage did you do those replacements? Mine has approx 43K and wondering if it is time yet. Car runs like a raped ape so I am not sure it will help but cheap enough for the Bosch MAF's...I've done plugs at 40K. original coils and MAF's.

22. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    >> original coils

I balked at getting a new coil set. My car, at 18k miles, had originals too. Then I had one coil fail, replaced it and decided to do the entire set. Shopped around and found them at ~$50 each. Changed them and the car is different. Smoother, more power at the top end, easier starting. It's worth $400 to change them out every 20 years or so. Shop around for the best price. They vary by a vast margin from store to store. Same exact Bosch part.

Extremely DIY. If you have a 10mm socket, you can do it yourself in a short time.

KC360 FL and brookliner7 like this.
  23. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I replaced everything bosch on my engine between 20k and 21k miles. As an example, the injectors were clogged and the max volume output was increased 20 percent by cleaning them. This made a big difference through out the entire rev range. Now it goes to redline effortlessly and it also seems like it could easily go to 9500 if the rev limiter was not there. It seems time is more important with respect to these parts now compared to mileage. 21 years is too long.

S F and EastMemphis like this.
  24. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Put 100+ miles on the car over the weekend. It's really running outstanding now and is a ton of fun to drive. Makes my other cars feel civil and tame by comparison :)

Stopped to take some quick photos and wanted to share.

I still haven't removed the rest of the wrap from the rear, but thinking to do that soon. I also reinstalled the front badge which made more of a difference than I thought it would. The little splash of yellow on the front end ties everything together nicely.

25. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    I probably should have figured this out sooner, but I just discovered that this car has a Tubi Style exhaust on it. Talk about a nice surprise :)

nicholasn and EastMemphis like this.