458 spare key programming | FerrariChat

458 spare key programming

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F485, Jul 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
  2. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    There are several layers to this. If you actually have a spare key, I believe the Lonsdor will identify the key code. In my case I had the key code for my car’s Vin #. I took my car to a locksmith here that had this particular device. I live in a city that does not have a Ferrari dealer so this was a relief. It took the locksmith 15 minutes and my spare key was operational. If you don’t have the key code to your car, from what I have read the locksmith should be able to find out through the Lonsdor. I paid $320.00 for the programming. Being that it would have cost $1200 to go to a dealer to do the same thing I felt it was a bargain. Personally I would not spend the money on the Lonsdor which is over $800.00. Check with an independent shop to find a locksmith that is equipped to do this for you. I did this and saved a bunch of money. Good luck.

3. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458

High Michaelo,

THANK YOU for the reply. I checked with the dealer and informed me that it would cost me around 2500$ and I randomly checked an independent shops which they only can copy the key but not programming the remote.

I will check again for another independent shop and hope to find one near me who can do it.

Thanks

4. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Dealer prices amount to extortion. Good luck on this. There has to be a locksmith somewhere with the Lonsdor to program the key.
    Did the dealer give you a quote to get a spare key? They have the ability to match the Vin # of your car to the key code.
    If you are able to get a spare key through Ferrari, which might be a little costly, I know that you would save a lot by having a locksmith
    do the programming.

F485 likes this.
  5. fogcitybrit

fogcitybrit Rookie

Mar 14, 2015
    San Francisco
    I just got a new second key for a 2013 458 Spider, from San Francisco Ferrari in California. They key was $1,316.63 and programming was $220.00. so $1536.63 in total.

F485 and SVCalifornia like this.
  6. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    :eek:

That price just made my head spin!!!!!
    Probably in line with other dealerships but CRAZY.

Seeing info like tis makes me hope I never lose or damage one of my keys.
    (But always good to have a spare key ).

Regards,
    Gene Greer

F485 likes this.
  7. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458

of course, The spare key is a must and you don't feel the need until you need it.

Regular Guy 01 likes this.
  8. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    similar to my car model

Thank you for sharing the experience. I have a new key but i need to program the remote

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If I am correct, the Launch X431 Pro Mini can program the keys. I have never done it (thankfully don't need it), so can somebody confirm if it is in fact possible?
    If so, how? I think there is a direct button for "IMMA" or something like that (or is that my bank account HAHAHA), through the "special functions".
    I would love to know how to safely do it, so I can help others if necessary. The first time I attempted it, I would want to do it in a dealer parking lot, lol. If it's like other cars, I think ALL keys may have to be reprogrammed again if a new one is added (not sure if true with Ferrari though). Sounds scary because if it's true and you mess up, you will need a flatbed