Air Cleaner Band Tool | FerrariChat

Air Cleaner Band Tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  2. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  3. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #3 Tegethoff, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    The closest thing I have ever seen to a factory tool for Copiglia clamps was in an old Alfa manual.

The best way I can describe it is as a nut driver with a double D opening instead of a hex. The shape slides over the end of the pin eye.

I made one from a suitable size nut driver, I torched it red hot and squeezed it in a vise to get the double D shape.

It really only works well if you have perpendicular access to the clamp, otherwise a pick, rod or pocket screwdriver through the pin eye is still the only way I have seen.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Darn it, you reminded me my bellows is shot to s&*^987it...

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    waymar, f355spider and absostone like this.
  6. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    Does anyone know the width of the clamp for 308QV/328?

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    All,

Thats amazing, on the GT4 the bellows is so short and has to be stretched tight, is is not easy to do. I only use one thickness of strap, glad to see the instructions never seen that before! The clamp I have the pin is much narrower and have always used stubby screwdrivers, just hoping there was a tool out there! HA

Rob

EP328 likes this.
  8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I use an allen wrench that just fits inside the eye of the cotter pin. You can use the long end for high torque or the small end in tight places.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #9 robertgarven, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Brian,

Thanks! Great idea! Now that we know you have secrets knowledge, any tips for stretching that long bellows from the air intake to the oil radiator on the GT4! :)

Rob

10. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
  11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I was going to start a new thread but found I already had one here. My rubber bellows clamp straps have seen better days and so I ordered some from Superformance but they arrived very small. I did some research and I think some of the older Ferraris have the 5 mm band strap clamps, and on all these older cars they were silver cad. On the 308 they were the 9 mm straps and were gold cad. I will attach a photo of a 1974 Swedish road test, with some quick measurements I took. I was going to post an instruction sheet but found out that I actually got it from this post! Hope you are all well. I sent this information to Superformance because I've yet to find anyone that has the correct straps and clamps in the correct color.

Does anyone know offhand what the maximum size photo you can post? I couldn't find that easily in the FAQ's, and had to downsize the German article 10 times and chop half of it off!

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone and Peter like this.
  12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    In regards to photo/attachments, it's 5mb