246 alternator fuse carrier rework | FerrariChat

246 alternator fuse carrier rework

Discussion in '206/246' started by snowsports1, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have developws this new alternator fuse carrier which is dimensionally exactly the same as the original however it is engineered to use the modern midi fuse and blade fuse. As Dino owners know the classic 60 amp fuses are hard to get now and poor contacts cause heat build up and melting of the fuse carrier. Supplied with 60amp midi fuse and 5 amp blade fuse. Spade connectors are the same size as the original so there is no wiring modifications needed. PM me if interested! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

synchro, TonyL and pshoejberg like this.
  2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great idea, nice execution too!

Is there any possibility for a circuit breaker rather than fuse?
    The standard mode of failure that I have seen are oil drips on to the alternator which first presents a series of electrical shorts before meltdown. A quick acting circuit breaker would save several hours of work required to change that Alt.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Minn-Kota-reg-Amp-Circuit-Breaker/738084.uts?productVariantId=1202789&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=00034335&rid=20&ds_rl=1246549&ds_rl=1246552&ds_rl=1252242&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhQVgYUB5ZR829tlPx-zw2h2uJmd9Jvy8n-PslMnirAjiGGpiQxAROxoCR8YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi Synchro, Thanks for the comments. The size of this circuit breaker is almost the same size as the alternator fuse carrier so to incorporate it it will mean the fuse carrier will need to get bigger and then look non original. Something i can do if there is enough interest.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  5. Chuff

Chuff Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    UK
    Hello Brian,

I'd be keen to buy one of these. I can't find how to send you a DM though. What are you asking for them?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

6. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
  7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Very nice and the blade slots will take a Circuit Breaker should you want to go with that option.
    Modern fast acting fuses will catch that surge far quicker (and safer) than the OEM solder break fused link. A very common failure on driven Dinos is oil dripping on to the alternator, slowly shorting them out after a series of increasing arcs. The slow acting OEM fuse lets each arc propogate and I've seen scorched wires, their connections and that expensive Alternator fuse box - all toasted.
    This has been needed for a long time - Forza!