Is black a popular colour for a California? | FerrariChat

Is black a popular colour for a California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 964kevin, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 964kevin

964kevin Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    kevin senior
    I'm just curious; looking at some Cali 30 models, and there seems to be a number of Black UK cars that hang around longer than their equivelant Red brethren.
    Does this mean they are less desirable? specs I have listed are compaerable between models, so it got me thinking a little.
    Its just a look see for a posibility in a years time, hence ask now...

Moving on from a 964... which I've owned for 18 years..

TIA.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Miami4me likes this.
  2. Miami4me

Miami4me Rookie

Aug 30, 2019
    Miami
    I love my 911s, but the Cali is another dimension. Red is really the only color to get. As I learned with my first Porsche, black isn’t a color; it’s a hobby. I’ve admired black and yellow Ferraris my whole life, but red was definitely the right choice. I’m told that red ones sell faster, and command a premium

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

FerrariBeev likes this.
  3. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I went with black and get stopped pretty often with someone asking about my color. Granted I do have it satin wrapped. Actually had a yellow 430 drive by me today and asked about the color. I think black works well on these.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

FerrariBeev, Sammi, 964kevin and 2 others like this.
  4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    A lot of people will choose red for their first Ferrari -- myself among them, red F430. It tends to attract a lot of attention, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you are comfortable with.

My Cali T is black -- but it is nero daytona, metallic black. It does not really show any dirt or swirls as a result the way a pure black car can. In any event, either wrapping the car or putting the ceramic coating on it makes it very easy to care for, it basically rinses clean. The carbon ceramic brakes get rid of the brake dust issue. I was a little hesitant about black but have no complaints. I rarely do anything to the car aside from run it through a touchless wash every few weeks, in the winter I wash it with a waterless wash, and it always looks good.

Get the car you like the looks of, and don't worry about resale value.

Sammi, KMac, SLViper1 and 2 others like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It is my opinion that the Cali may be among the least color sensitive Ferrari of the past decade or so. If you head over to the picture thread, I think you'll see that it looks good in many and diverse colors.

Several frequent posters here have/had black. I think all had PPF, several added ceramic to help with cleaning.

Get the color that moves you. Or do what I did, and let the wife choose!
    4+ years and 20+ thousand miles later, I still love running out to the garage just to sneak a peek at our Blonde Bombshell!

T

KMac, Mizio and russellmcg like this.
  6. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    I like the wrap!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Mizio

Mizio Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    That’s exactly what she chose: Rosso California, and so was it

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mizio likes this.
  9. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks! It's XPEL paint protection film, looks great in the sunlight.

10. 964kevin

964kevin Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    kevin senior
    Thanks All,
    its certainly food for thought, my original question was built partly on the basis that i've seen the black models hanging around in showrooms longer than say red.

I've not a lot of interest in whites or silvers, as in the UK, i dont feel they show themselves to the best extent in our sunlight. US, say Florida, absolutely, UK, less so.

Personal choice and all that.

11. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I was open to different colors for my California 30, but my wife really wanted me to get red. There is a premium and they do move faster than non-red colors. It commands attention everywhere we go. I like blue and some shades of silver. I am, however, happy that we went with red. It is gorgeous! I love black cars as well. I've owned several and as anyone that has owned one knows, black requires more effort to keep it in pristine shape. As others have mentioned PPF can help mitigate that, but dust still appears more prominently on black.

AD211 likes this.
  12. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    I absolutely love my Nero black California. As someone else stated “black is not a color, it’s a hobby!”. I spend a fair amount of time gently cleaning it and a PPF (at least in the front) is a must. There is just something amazing about a deep gloss black. However, if there is another Ferrari in my future, it will certainly be Rosso Corsa. Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK, between friends, you can tell us, is that really your Halloween get-up, or are you living the Miami Vice F-dream 24/7/365?!? :D
    T
    p.s. Great looking Cali.

russellmcg likes this.
  15. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Thanks Tom! All I can say to answer that question is I haven't got a speeding ticket in a really long time! I was too chicken to keep the top down on the freeway. I just knew the wig would fly off and some old lady would panic and swerve to avoid running over the raccoon in the roadway. HAHA

tomc likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hilarious! :p Enjoy your Cali. She's a beauty...T