Colored dashboard glare effect on the windshield? | FerrariChat

Colored dashboard glare effect on the windshield?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nimamd, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Hi,
    I am considering Cuouo for the upper part of the dashboard, with colored inner details in Rosso corsa (similar to the pictures below)
    I'm concerned about the possible glare effect on the windshield by using those colors.
    Does anyone have any experience about this?
    Any advice about using cuouo in the steering wheel and door handles in terms of getting unsightly over time?
    Your advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had an SL63 with a porcelain (white) dash. It was a blinding problem when driving into the sun. Otherwise, not an issue. In my opinion, the top of the dashboard should be dark.

3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, dark color for top of dashboard would be ideal to minimize glare. However, it shouldn't be an issue if you're a converted believer of polarized glasses as I have since a decade ago...wouldn't wear anything else when driving.

Bundy, tomc and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree, polarized lenses will cure almost all of the issue. However, a darker dash material will reduce glare.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy and tomc like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #5 tomc, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Another vote for polarized sunglasses. My 911 has a beige interior. Love it. Think it looks great versus the black/beige combo you see on F cars. Glare off the dash has never been an issue in 6.5 years and 50K miles of driving under all sorts of lighting conditions...T

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    If you are asking you will be like me and very sensitive to it. I have the strip on the dash of my 812 in cuoio and it is super obvious when the sun hits it. Yeas polarized glasses help but a full light dash would drive me nuts. And as Tom noted above, it really does come to personal preference.

7. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I have all cuoio in my car, no nero -leather upper with alcantera lowers. I have no issue whatsoever with or without sunglasses. I would recommend going all black with the steering wheel. The cuoio steering wheel is not pleasing to my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and nimamd like this.
  8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have the black with red stripes and they reflect on the windshield but I tune it out.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have black with yellow stripes. The stripes are very visible in the sun. Polarized sunglasses help. If I was to do it again I would go all black. Save yourself the hassle get a black Upper dash. Looks better too IMHO.

10. mjmccoymd

mjmccoymd Rookie

Aug 29, 2005
    Lawrenceville, GA (USA) & Montegridolfo, Italy
    Full Name:
    Michael McCoy
    I have an older Ferrari (412) with a dark brown dash, and even that was too bright a reflection in the Georgia sun. I had to buy a black mat to put over the dash (which did help with the reflection, and also protected the dash to *some* degree).

Even with polarized sunglasses, I found the reflection to be too much.

I’m sure you can find other cars (non-Ferrari) with a colored dash that you can sit in to evaluate your sensitivity.

My advice, though, is get a very dark, and preferably black, dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Thank you all for your helpful inputs. This is such a great community :)

12. GCSF

GCSF Rookie

Sep 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bernhard Hellmich

tomc likes this.
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I did a full cuoio interior (on cuoio sella stitch) on my 488 after many warned me the glare would be oppressive

Maybe I got lucky because there was a big black plastic trim piece as standard on the 488 before the leather upper dash started, but the glare did not bother me so much as a tradeoff to getting the full tan interior look I wanted. I didn't find it that noticeable, if at all unless I was looking for it personally (and I live in LA)

Alternatively, my Speciale has a black upper dash but yellow constrast stitching, and I see the bright yellow stitch glare almost if not as bad as the full cuoio dash itself

YMMV

14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i've had full upper tan leather and the glare wasn't bad at all. maybe in very specific lighting conditions but i don't recall ever saying damn i can't see anything for the 3 years of ownership.

now i have F12 with black interior and contrast white stitching. i've noticed the white stitching reflections more than any full tan leather upper dash. it can get so bad as to have to physically force myself to ignore the white stitching reflected in windshield.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I am guessing the angle of the windscreen, etc may impact the reflection. All I know is that on my 812 the strip is bright! Guessing the f12 windscreen is similar.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. mjmccoymd

mjmccoymd Rookie

Aug 29, 2005
    Lawrenceville, GA (USA) & Montegridolfo, Italy
    Full Name:
    Michael McCoy
    Contrasting (white) stitching on my black dash in Jeep SRT is also a nuisance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Probably a good guess.

RamsHmb and ScottS like this.
  18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I order all my f-cars with Cuouo dashs. Your fine with the glare. I have tan on the lower part and cuouo on the upper dash and steering.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not a fan of Cuoio upper. But that being said, how you use the car also matters. Tracking? Not in a million years would I want anything but dark. Daily driver? Dark only. Weekend cruiser? That's okay I guess.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is not only a good guess, this is a very important factor.

RamsHmb likes this.