Shift Knob Jam Nut | FerrariChat

Shift Knob Jam Nut

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey All-

could someone snap a pic and post it of the jam nut used to hold the shift knob in place? My car doesnt have one and I’d like to replace it finally. Is it a chrome plated part like the shift lever itself?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mine certainly doesn't look like polished bright chrome (and I had to get on my knees to even see it ;)) -- more like a dull medium gray nickel-plated appearance. It's a hex nut that has been conically shaped so it's a bit special (and the conical cut really hides it under the knob). Mine has a much smoother outer machined surface compared to this example from Ricambi:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/gearbox-controls/108010-nut.html

which looks chromed (or zinc-plated) to me but not polished.

3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    thank you. Looks like a standard jam nut with one side filed over on the lathe, as you describe. I’ll just make one on my own and zinc plate it. Nice to have tools and plating gear!

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The hex size is 17mm AF (don't know if that corresponds to a standard jam nut of the appropriate thread size or not).

108010 (just adding the F PN for future searches)

xplodee likes this.
  5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    5mm thick seem right? Or perhaps its a regular nut that's machined as you described and is thicker than 5mm. This is the part number from McM:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, 5 mm thick seems about right, and the height of the cone at the mid-point of the flat is about 2.5 mm or maybe a bit less.

xplodee likes this.
  7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks, as always, Steve. I'll get those on order and polish her up nicely after machining. I'm going to buy the zinc ones so the threads and stuff won't suffer any corrosion issues per chance my hand is too sweaty ha. Have a great day.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

We have Hill Engineering versions of these in stock: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/ln01-lock-nut.html

Making one from scratch seems like a lot of work for something that's so minor -- but if you've got the equipment, and time on your hands (sheesh, who doesn't these days??) have at it!

Steve Magnusson and xplodee like this.
  9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    thank you. That will be money well spent versus buying 100x jam nuts for $10.50 and machining my own. Will place my order.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- You need to have that LN01 part come up if someone looks up the 108010 part ;)

Is the 108010 part also chromed (or should I say badly chromed)? That surface finish on the cone area is just dreadful.