Front hood release 1988 testarossa | FerrariChat

Front hood release 1988 testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by sonfield, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    I just bought a 1988 testarossa. The only problem I’m having is the front hood will not open. Only on drivers side latch. Passenger side latch not releasing side ...any ideas. There’s an emergency release I’m assuming that’s what I see in the right passenger side under the dash when I pull this it won’t release either. Please help

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The passenger side of the car has an emergency release for the glovebox. The emergency release for the hood is on the drivers side.

3. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    I looked on the driver side and didn’t see a release. My 308 clearly has a release on that side. Will look again

4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    you'll have to get low and look up near where the speaker cover is, it's under there.

5. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
  6. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    It’s not there. Any other ideas.

7. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    In the PPI they had this open

8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    can you look under there and find the end of the cable? If so a visegrip on it will pull it open. If not then I’m out of ideas but I’m sure the collective knowledge here will have something

9. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have an 88 TR as well and every time I release the hood, the drivers side pops up and the passenger side only comes up part way and will not come up if I pull straight up. I have tried to adjust but I find that when I walk over to that side and gently pull hood (not by the small part) a little more to the right away from car, it releases. Probably not that simple for you but thought I would share.

10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Pull the carpet down slightly. I’m guessing it’s behind!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    What about trying to tighten the primary cable meaning remove the pole and use a vice grip to pull on that cable?

12. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Otherwise this car is absolutely perfect. Looks brand new. 13,400 miles. One owner. Brand new looking. But got to get the hood open to charge the battery on a tinder. Please please help. Rifle driver are you out there

13. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    One more thought, if the drivers side unlatched, you might be able to reach in with a long needle nose or other tool and pull bar that attaches to the cable as the passenger side cable is attached to the drivers side latch. Finger pointing to cable that needs to be pulled toward you from attached picture angle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

66MK and sonfield like this.
  14. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
  15. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That might work too, I would adjust it or disconnect cable then and pull it from there. But if it pulls solid and there is no more adjustment, the cable from the drivers side latch to the passenger side latch (previous picture) may need adjustment, came off or broke. So again, you were not able to find a cable up under the dash anywhere? It might have broken and just be shorter but tricky to see/find the end up under the dash.

16. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Also you should press down lightly on the hood above the passenger latch as someone pulls the lever. Careful to not damage the hood.

17. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Agree with the post above as a possible solution--press down with the palm of your hand so as not to dent the hood. The photo is the emergency cable--I suspect it is there, just up out of sight. You may need to remove the speaker cover to see better:

1. Remove two #6 Phillips screws (with captive conical washers) along edge of panel by vertical door seal/weatherstrip.

2. Remove two #6 Phillips screws (with flat washers) along forward edge (under dash). You may need to pull carpeting back to expose screw heads.

3. Slide entire cover aft (towards seats) to gain access to wiring.

Attached Files:

66MK, turbo-joe and raysur like this.
  18. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Thanks everybody I won’t be able to try that until end of the week I’ll keep you posted

19. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Took down the speaker and As above and there was no secondary Release cable. Not there. It was not even a whole or evidence that one was ever there like the picture you sent above. Any ideas? I tried pushing down on the other side did not work

20. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Was the hole in the wheel well/firewall where the cable came thru there?

21. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Not even there

22. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Any other ideas?

23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #25 Steve Magnusson, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Don't know if this is really possible, but, if you can lift up the LH corner of the front bonnet (and maybe pull the carpet back some), you might be able to reach in and grab the cable going to the RH latch with a pair of needle nose pliers to see if you can give it a pull (or maybe confirm it's become detached at the RH latch, or broken, which would be even more difficult to resolve :():
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

PS Have to say that the Designers made a bit of a logic error here -- if the Main cable breaks, then the Emergency cable works fine, but, if the cable between the LH latch and the RH latch breaks = trouble.