488 Pista Values | Page 14 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Values

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by customryder, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Don’t rely on Ferrari’s words these days. If you love the pista, buy it to drive.

Natkingcolebasket69 and LARRYH like this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    We’re in unprecedented times and manufacturers are liable to do anything.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ferrari may or may not make an F8 VS. likely not but if they do, and Pista owners like it, they can just buy one. Some of these posts make it seem like Pista owners are locked out from getting one. After all, look at how may Pistas are available.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    not at all, just saying it’s bad for Pista values. I’m sure objectively if they do the car will be great and many Pista owners will buy one.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I get it. But it’s funny to read the constant there will be a F8 VS car. As if some of the guys want there to be one just to screw the Pista guys. Lol.

If there is one and I like it, I’ll get it. If there is one and I don’t like it, I’ll keep my Pista. If there isn’t one, I’ll keep my Pista.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ya, that’s human nature. Someone people can’t afford a certain item so they want it to massively depreciate. Personally, I’m on the edge of maybe grabbing a Pista, I just think it’s such a beautiful car. I could care less how quick it is by the numbers or versus other cars even though it’s extremely good in that area.

Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Had an interesting conversation with a Maranello rep a while back about the prospect of an F8 VS.

He said two things of interest. One was that with the launch of the SF90 and the performance that had to offer, another non-hybrid V8 would not be a thing to pursue as it would be so far behind in terms of performance it would not be worth it or make sense.
    The other thing, and this is far from the first time I'm told this, is that the F8 is sort of a VS on its own. He explained it like this. Many seem to be of the understanding that the F8 is a 488 and Pista follow-up. But internally with Ferrari, it slots in between the 488 and Pista. To quote him, "It would be like assuming there would be a special version of the Pista, that's not going to happen". The 488 is considered a new model after the 488, where the F8 is more of an Evo car. Think Cali 30 vs. Cali.
    Another story I've been told, is that the F8 was not initially planned, but Ferrari felt that they had to come up with something fast to better compete with the 720S, so they created a soft non-limited version of the Pista. This is another example of how the F8 slots in between the 488 and Pista, as opposed to above.

I would be quite surprised if they released an F8 VS.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Makes perfect sense and confirms my thinking that there won’t be a VS of the F8. The V6 hybrid is due to be shown soon. SF90 was a year ago and they started taking orders. If they show the v6 hybrid in the next 6-12 months- and at the same time release an F8 VS, who is going to buy the v6 hybrid??

they made their decision to go hybrid and the F8 seems to be the last hurrah of its generation.

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Not sure I agree. If you have $450,000 to devote to a car, you can afford a $30-50,000 bath. Cost of doing business... You have to pay to play... YOLO...

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is good looking. Hers mine under the new lighting system.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Scudmsl, Coincid, PTG1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Same people, over and over again. They need to move on already.

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    IMO, there is no better looking car. Also, I did decide to order the Kline system with the valve controller. I will report back and if it sounds as good as I hope I will offer anyone here a big discount as my shop is a dealer. :)

PTG1, Art138, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally agree. Pista was supposed to be unobtainable yet there are 50 for sale. If there is a F8 VS, it will be the same thing in the secondary market. Plenty available for those that want one. Including the Pista guys. :)

Thecadster likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Consistent with what I have been told.

17. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I suspect anyone who drives a Pista will want one. It’s drives as well as it looks.

Art138 and Thecadster like this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

With due respect I can tell you my comments on a VS F8 has nothing to do with your quote " As if some of the guys want there to be one just to screw the Pista guys. Lol."

I have been told whether right or wrong that there will be one. Would I buy one certainly not if there is a sxxt load of carbon. Logic just says there will be one. This whole Covid situation certainly has pushed back the LB. Given the F8 was made because LB wasn't ready.

Tell me did you expect a F8 , No , no one did. Because it has happened once doesn't mean it cant happen again.

The F8 VS can be purely a loaded up carbon F8 , Maybe with a few extra PSI ( we know that's easy given aftermarket can easily add 70 kws ) and limited / Numbered. That's what will make it rare. Will it be better than a Pista , I highly doubt it but it will be limited.

Think about it if you owned Ferrari wouldn't you do it ?

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Exactly. Follow the money. Too much to be made by Ferrari not to, of course.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree totally - envy is driving the agenda on this. The F8VS nonsense has been cleared up so many times now I'm not sure what else could be said on the matter to put it to bed once and for all time.
    Too many in the (Ferrari) loop have spoken whats in store and that there will definitely be no F8VS yet still the BS continues! The only logical reason is Pista envy and a wish for values to drop and because that is still not happening is making the envy worse.....hence the constant re-birthing of the F8VS BS. So it's a circular topic of delusion that keeps re appearing.

21. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    I'm really enjoying this forum - some very valuable comments from its members.
    In my view an F8 VS is still a while to go.
    For starters, they are still producing Pista orders until the end of this year. In my view, Ferrari dealers were already in a pickle before this pandemic kicked off with too many new models being introduced and much too quickly. I feel the decision to introduce a F8 VS (if it happens) won't be for another 2 years - and will be based on how global appetite is for these cars. Bear in mind that each car that came off the production line, is already sold before it's made. This will be the challenge for Ferrari given the variety of models planned for already. So F8 VS not something happening imminently. If you've got a Pista - hang on to it!

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  22. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I’m less and less sure that this is still the case. Seen too many extra allocations forced on dealers in recent years with no buyer at the time of ordering. And that was pre-2020.

Agree with you about the Pista being a keeper!

sampelligrino likes this.
  23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The truth is nearly everyone posting about keeping their bought new Pistas and values holding will not keep the car years down the line. These cars change hands all the time and original owners 5 or more years later is not nearly the norm. If it holds its value it will likely be traded for the next one up (or perhaps Aperta) since you can limit the realized cost of the new one. If it drops in value it will be sold to cut the loss with timing linked to the slope of the drop. IMO the person who paid cash and just meshes so well with the car and perhaps already has a special memory with it is the most likely to keep it in the collection. There is would sit next to other cars that did the same.

24. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    Yes you're right - lots of dealers were forced into taking cars that were not as successful, with no orders.

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #350 SoCal to az, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Ferrari is a smart company and they have to balance resources, demand and profit. Long term profit. Could Ferrari make some money short term by selling an F8 VS? Maybe. But it will eat into little brother sales. 812 GTS sales. Maybe SF90 sales.

Also Ferrari clients will also think twice about buying the next VS edition cause there may be a replace just around the corner.

Their current model of regular production/ VS production works because the VS models are 5-6 years apart. If an F8 vs comes out it will be a 2021 model so you have a Pista in 2020 and F8 VS in 2021? Not likely.

I’ll leave you with this one final thought. Hermès has the Birkin bag. I’m sure you have heard of it. Nothing special about it other than you can’t get it. To get it it’s a whole process. They could easily make more them available and make a killing. But they don’t. And there is a reason for that.

Smart companies don’t always go for short term profit. Ferrari is a smart company and they know they need to play the long game.

Jo Sta7 and BG23 like this.