458 Dash Buzzing and Rattling | FerrariChat

458 Dash Buzzing and Rattling

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by SteelWool, Jul 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SteelWool

SteelWool Rookie

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey, I. need some help as a new to Ferrari buyer. I'm looking at a 458 right now which I like everything about but when I did the test drive, I noticed a couple different buzzes and rattles in the dash area. Other than that and some sticky buttons, the car was nice. My question is, is this common in the 458 and other Ferraris and has anybody had success in getting rid of them. If so, How? Thanks everybody

2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine was a broken airbag bracket. If you have sticky buttons, I would recommend taking it to someone who can disassemble the dash and ship the buttons to one of the vendors here. Have them professionally done.

3. SteelWool

SteelWool Rookie

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don’t think it’s something that serious, more just general buzzing when the car is vibrating. But bad enough that it makes the driving annoying instead of a joyful. Would love to figure a fix as I like the car otherwise.

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry but can you be a little more desciptive. Is the buzzing sound more like a vibration sound? Is it at idle, startup, and/or driving? What side of the dash is it coming from? My dash does not makes noise, only at startup with the warning sounds. I occasionally get creaking on bumpy or windy roads.

5. SteelWool

SteelWool Rookie

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sounds are while driving. A vibration sound. Seem to be coming from left side of dash near air con vent. Also another from driver sun visor area however I tried to isolate it and was unable to. Very tough to isolate where they are coming from. The bumpier the road, the more I get.

6. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Check suspension components & tires + exhaust components as a matter of just basic due diligence. Any of these could easily be the cause. Rattles are notoriously difficult to diagnose, but start with the obvious. ...unless dash was previously removed.

7. SteelWool

SteelWool Rookie

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Suspension is good. Tires are good. I think in order to fix it they will need to take the dash apart $$$$

8. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I wouldn't go with a dash removal just yet. Vibrations travel through the car and can manifest themselves very far from the source. Tires are good? Balanced, good date codes? Alignment done, brand new? Steering checked?

One way to get rid of the noise without fixing the problem is to have someone press in different areas while driving and see if vibration stops. Once you identify a spot that nullifies the vibration, get some felt and wedge pieces of it between the dash and any other part of the frame/ window, whatever in the vicinity of the vibration to dampen it. I've tried this in various situations with different cars and get it to work most of the time

Eric C likes this.
  9. SteelWool

SteelWool Rookie

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks, I’ll give that a try. Car has 22,000 miles on it so it has been driven. Seller was able to isolate one vibration coming from the interior A pillar. Removed, added some foam tape and stopped it. More coming on rough roads from left side of dash

10. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Good luck with it all. Let us know what you find. ...if it were a F430, I would say to inspect the ball joints as those have a tendency to fail by abt 20K miles. Though, not sure if it's the same case with the 458...perhaps others here can chime in as now we are just "fishing."