Lumpy dash | FerrariChat

Lumpy dash

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Jul 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This seems to be a common thing on 308’s and has been on my todo list since I got the car. It’s not so bad that I can’t stand it but I’d like to fix it. What I’m talking about is the unevenness of the foam layer under the vinyl on the passengers side. The problem with fixing it is that to do it right I’m afraid I might have to take the whole thing out. Has anybody had any luck just peeling it up in-situ and replacing the foam, or maybe even just removing it?

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I have recovered my dash and I can’t see any way it could be done in situ. It’s actually not that difficult to remove from the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
  4. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
  5. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/dash-removal-308.274376/
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/308/Binnacle.htm

I will attempt in the future to remove and refresh the dash.....removal looks quick and easy and less of a nightmare compared to most cars nowadays.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Early GTB's require the windshield to be removed in order to remove the dash. I'm fairly sure this was changed by GTS production. The instrument binnacle is not difficult to remove once the gauge cluster is removed.

7. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    My car has those lumps as well, and it's always bothered me, but they're still there!

8. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't have the lumps, but I can see the rectangular outline of the foam piece. That seems to be just as common, and might be as good as it gets even with reupholstery. I would think to really get it right(not the way ferrari did it), you'd have to insert the foam into it's pocket then sand it to blend into the transition between the pocket and the parts of the dash that don't have foam.

Brian Harper likes this.
  9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I haven't pulled my vinyl back to see what's under there but yes, it's a rectangular section on the top of the dash above the fuses and relays that causes the "lumps" The vinyl that is stretched over the top is thin and pliable, especially in the heat, and shows every minor imperfection beneath it'