458 - 70,000 mile 2015 458 Spider | FerrariChat

458 70,000 mile 2015 458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by icwish, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icwish

icwish Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Hi all, I have an opportunity to buy one. It’s been used by a car club and they’re asking $120,000. I’ve driven it, it’s great, but not in good condition. You can tell it’s been through the ringer. What’s the right price?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    See if you can get a factory powertrain warranty. My understanding is that they won’t write it after 12 years in this case 2027.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I would think this price is in the right ballpark, shudder to think about the possible maintenance issues though.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So many other great cars I would buy over a 70k mile 458. Id stay away personally.

KC360 FL and BLAMPEE like this.
  5. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I also think this price is in the right ball park. I know two people who have 458s with mileage over 100k miles and they have had very few issues and drive their cars pretty hard with some track use too. They do what I would call “average maintenance” so not a ton but they do the typical oil change every 5k miles and do the gearbox and clutch fluid every 25k miles. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy this amazing car!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BLAMPEE and docf like this.
  6. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    my 10 458 had 102k and see’s 9k frequently. go for it

7. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    mileage is too high for factory warranty. LaSalle will do it but it’s not cheap.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you have the information does buying a newer 458 where you can get the factory warranty make financial sense?

I have a 2012 458 Spider 30k+ smiles with the power train warranty. Makes more sense to me than buying an F8 and spend $150k-$200k more on a trade. When l can’t get the warranty l will sell the car or find another 458 where l can still get the power train warranty.

Or maybe l will get a new Porsche 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 which start at $88k.

9. dgoldenz94

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    It's not the age, it's the mileage. The limit for factory New Power warranty is 55,923 miles (90k km). I just bought an FF with the 2-year CPO warranty with 48k miles on it, will have to decide what to do once the warranty is up.

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    wow. I don't know. This is a tough one. Why are you attracted to this car to begin with? is it the price?

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Never buy that Warranty …. the Factory laughs and makes millons of $$ on scare owners, realy.

But be prepared to save that money on the bank in case something does happen. Don't yell then if you did not …

Quite good cars, as of year 2012 not many drivetrain faults are reported ...

Good luck :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My 2013 458 Spider has 37K miles and (touch wood) has been flawless.
    Currently on a week long road trip now in mountains...probably put another 3500-4000 miles on this week.

13. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    Itaiafan - wish I were with you.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You will be missed my friend!
    Next trip....
    Wish I had joined you guys on your last 7K mile dream trip through Glacier!

15. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016

This +1000000

Melvok likes this.
  16. dgoldenz94

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I just got done replacing a blown engine on my M3 a few months ago that cost me almost $20k, and that is a much less expensive car. To each their own but I’d rather have the peace of mind not having to worry about a $25k+ repair.

paulchua, Melvok, BLAMPEE and 2 others like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #17 paulchua, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Hard to make a wife out of an hooker ex-hooker...

(so I hear)

If I'm spending 120K (on a car that is "not in good condition") - why not spring 30K more for one is in good condition, and hasn't been with 20+ other guys that couldn't afford the full thing? You're going to spend it anyway making this car (your words=not in good condition) to good condition.

Of course unless, that's your thing.

If this is the case, you be you brother.

Fire away!

I do understand some folks enjoy wrenching more then driving. Akin to the many many men and women I've seen that enjoy 'saving' ass-hats.

It's just the way some folks are - and who am I to judge if that's what brings you true joy?

tatry68 likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This was yesterday after driving several miles over a dirt-gravel road in the woods. Only hikers and people shooting. We chatted with a couple guys on dirt bikes who “questioned our judgment.” :D
    Ferrari’s are most fun when being used!

19. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Utter madness, but so much fun. Reminds me of a few decades ago when I hired a Ferrari to "try the brand out" and it snowed on the delivery day. The hire company said tough luck no refunds so ended being one of the most fun days I have had driving a Ferrari. Luckily I had a lot of experience driving TVRs which always felt like you were on the loose stuff when going round corners and roundabouts!

paulchua likes this.