F12 lost of power steering and multi system failure/limp mode on tail of the dragon | FerrariChat

F12 lost of power steering and multi system failure/limp mode on tail of the dragon

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by GTEE3, Jul 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
    Went to Tail of the Dragon with friends last week to drive the iconic roads. I was following my friends in their GT Porsches in a somewhat fast pace, car was in manual and second gear most of the time doing 4000~7000 rpm. After ~5 mins of chasing the power steering failed on me and luckily I was able to bring it to a stop on the shoulder. Let the car cool down for ~40 mins and the problem went away. A friend who is also a mechanic told me that it could be overheating due to the car constantly being in the higher rpm. So I decided to let it shift in auto the next day.
    -
    Day 2: I left the car in race mode and was going about the same pace, suddenly I had a multi system failure (see photo) and the car went into limp mode (wouldn’t go more than 35 mph). I limped to the bottom of tail and let it sit and cool down for ~40 mins, the codes went away. After a few minutes of driving I drove over a bump and the codes came back. I let it sit for a while again and the codes disappeared, but came back again a few minutes into the drive. At the end I had to limp for and hour back to the Airbnb I stayed and called a flatbed the next day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

colonels likes this.
  2. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
  3. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
    The car is now at Ferrari Atlanta. They told me the primary reason was a faulty ABS sensor that triggered all of these error codes. They’ll replace it before doing further diagnosis.

4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #4 sampelligrino, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Bummer, but glad that they were able to find a fix and that you/car are OK.

Chiming in because I had a similar experience (maybe my first "Italian experience") two weekends ago with my 458 Speciale. Doing *ahem* spirited driving and mid corner my car sh!ts the bed in a similar situation, higher revs and warm temps outside in manual mode. I got the same manettino wet mode warnings/ESC failures/go to dealer, along with limp mode power and actually what felt like a loss in brake boost but no noticeable loss in power steering

My issue was a a faulty accelerator pedal which had to be replaced according to my dealer's diagnosis FWIW ($1000...)

GTEE3 likes this.
  5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I live about 69 miles from the dragon. Every time took the 1998 550 there it would get so hot that I had to cool it down before I could put gas in the car. I stopped in Murphy nc for gas and it kept kicking the gas pump off. Took me 20 minutes to get 1 gallon in. The dealer never did figure it out. I traded it to them for a 458.

GTEE3 likes this.