Alternator rebuild with info | FerrariChat

Alternator rebuild with info

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Jul 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    88 TR. As many have said, the 1984 Corvette alternator will physically fit in our cars. Trouble is, it’s not really the ‘right’ part. The internals and rectifier doesn’t get the airflow that it needs and I actually cooked one this weekend.

I disassembled my old unit from the car. Called a good GM parts guy. Turns out our alternators were part-for-part identical to a 1990 P-30 Chevrolet Van (454 cubic inch motor option). Yes, a potato chip van. Doritos and Ferrari. No internal suppression capacitor, just lots of 120 amp power (quite an accomplishment back in the 80’s).

So I called around, it is out of production as a unit. I found mine had a bad leg of the diode trio but Rockauto.com came through. They had the diode, rectifier and regulator in stock. I had bearings from my ‘Corvette’ one that cooked.

For under $100, I’ll have all new internals in the correct and original unit.

Thought I would share. Pic has the part numbers below. Hope this helps someone else down the road. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login this is the corvette one, see how the unit is more compact with less airflow?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login this is the potato chip van/Ferrari part

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Brilliant! Thank you for the high quality content of your posts.